Sign in to follow this  

Did the US really invade IRAQ for the oil?

Should we pull our troops out of IRAQ?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Should we pull our troops out of IRAQ?

• Yes immediately
    • After we have installed a government and there is peace

Venger i have a huge vast knowledge with regard to this illegal war sorry i stand corrected with the spelling issue.

We hear about how iran will be targeted next because of their intransigence towards un inspectors, oh i forgot aren't they a filthy rich country when it comes to their oil reserves, was our country's security under threat by sadam hussein? why hasn't the west taken out zimbabwe's leader mugabwe? answer his country is so poor it couldn't pay off the interest on the continent's debt of africa.

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing venger, do you need a little pair of tweezers to put that thing away?:o

When you're done attempting to insult Venger, you might like to read his posts a little more carefully you'll discover that he has a view on this that exceeds your simplistic analysis (your huge vast knowledge may be smaller than you think). You'll also discover that he's broadly very critical of the invasion of Iraq and neoconservative policy in the whole region.

If you read really carefully you may even work out who he was replying to when he used the word "idiot". (hint: read his last post)

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing venger, do you need a little pair of tweezers to put that thing away?:o

[pedantry] The actual quote, from Alexander Pope, is A little learning is a dangerous thing. [/pedantry]

PS, with my mod hat on, please do not resort to personal insults. Thank you.

So venger gets away with calling firecracker an idiot does he? i can't see anything in this thread from venger which articulates his argument for or agains the war in iraq? am i missing something here? all i see is his deliberations and prognosis and the breakdown of a couple of irrelevant words.

Yes, you are missing something. He called Firecracker a "complete idiot" and he did not venture a prognosis. Now max has asked us all nicely not to resort to personal insults. You can look at a selection of Vengers posts re:iraq here - http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/search.php?searchid=201426

You might find yourself quite sympathetic to his views.

canugetagrip - you'll get used to the fact that left-wing anti-establishment rants are acceptable on the Forum, while anything remotely right-wing or supporting government policy or law-abiding activity is seen as provocative (and slapped down by the mods) because the lefty do-gooder, anti-war, pro-drug abuse, pro-benefit fraud contributors to the forum seem to be a very loud minority.

I can see this thread going the same way as the guantanamo one.. :loopy:

I opened the thread expecting a poll yes or no - did the US invade Iraq for oil! My answer to that would be yes, partly for oil.. partly for other reasons.

As for should we pull out of Iraq.. I don't think we can now.. we've destablilised the country to the brink of civil war. We have to get some semblance of order back. And that could take forever. (and we'll probably invade Iran before too long...)

I can see this thread going the same way as the guantanamo one.. :loopy:

I opened the thread expecting a poll yes or no - did the US invade Iraq for oil! My answer to that would be yes, partly for oil.. partly for other reasons.

As for should we pull out of Iraq.. I don't think we can now.. we've destablilised the country to the brink of civil war. We have to get some semblance of order back. And that could take forever. (and we'll probably invade Iran before too long...)

Anne, sorry - I just voted too. As a member of the Armed Forces I want us to pull out, but it would be folly; we've worked so hard to sort the country out and can't leave it to collapse now. (I do, by the way, think Saddam's regime needed to be brought down, but the insurgency problem is far worse than could have been predicted).

Gee thanks mr.p that's mighty kind of you:)

Well, I don't know about that, but you and Venger have a lot in common. I'd hate to see you two fall out early on due to a misunderstanding.

canugetagrip - you'll get used to the fact that left-wing anti-establishment rants are acceptable on the Forum, while anything remotely right-wing or supporting government policy or law-abiding activity is seen as provocative (and slapped down by the mods) because the lefty do-gooder, anti-war, pro-drug abuse, pro-benefit fraud contributors to the forum seem to be a very loud minority.

This ^^ is not unusual.

But plenty of forummers I speak to are equally exercised by the 'fact' that the forum is dominated by demented law, order and retribution diatribes. Whilst anything remotely conciliatory or empathetic is seized upon by hard of thinking neofascist wingnut minority as evidence of appeasement mentality, and drowned in a chorus of howls demanding blood, capital punishment, and the wholesale destruction of entire countries.

So, I think the forum has the balance about right.

Of course, those who think otherwise - wherever they are coming from or going to - are warmly invited to find another forum by me.

Did the USA invade Iraq for the oil?

Partly. If Iraq's main export was carrots, I doubt very much if the respective governments of the USA and UK would have lifted a finger to "liberate" the Iraqi people. Likewise if Kuwait was a small agrarian economy, it would be part of Greater Iraq by now.

But nothing is that simple.

Can't answer the poll, because it does not give an option for never pulling out of Iraq.

But plenty of forummers I speak to are equally exercised by the 'fact' that the forum is dominated by demented law, order and retribution diatribes. Whilst anything remotely conciliatory or empathetic is seized upon by hard of thinking neofascist wingnut minority as evidence of appeasement mentality, and drowned in a chorus of howls demanding blood, capital punishment, and the wholesale destruction of entire countries.

Of course, those who think otherwise - wherever they are coming from or going to - are warmly invited to find another forum by me.

Mmm - sounds like law-abiding people who think criminals deserve justice are not welcome on the Forum in Planerothyme's eyes - so much for free speech.

Obviously, supporting UK law is seen as "demented law, order and retribution diatribes" while supporting drug abuse is just fine and dandy.

However, back to the thread, OF COURSE the fact that Iraq and its neighbours are big oil producers was important, but not because the USA wanted to steal the oil of its revenue. The key for Gulf 1 was Middle East stability - Iraq would have run amok, buggered up the oil market and devastated the world economy as a result. Gulf 2 was debateable, but the regime did have to go and long-term military balance in the Middle East was still a factor. The various Arab and Muslim states out there may jointly decry the West, but given the chance they stuff each other at every opportunity as well.

I only got the option of two questions don't know why but i would be interested to hear your comments on whether we should stay in iraq for the long haul.

I am concerned about the bombing of prestigious iraqi synagogues or places of worship, could the interim government have protected these places of worship as this was a siting time bomb waiting to go off, thanks for your comments too anne bizarre though they were.:loopy:

Mmm - sounds like law-abiding people who think criminals deserve justice are not welcome on the Forum in Planerothyme's eyes - so much for free speech.

ahem, I think you missed the

"So, I think the forum has the balance about right."

bit out.... (on purpose perhaps??? :hihi: )