Tram Rail replacement works in Hillsborough 28/29th March to begin

So I have to: Bus > Bus > Tram to get to work and home...ridiculous. The replacement for the yellow tram should run the tram route from town to Middlewood. I am not going to get to work on time.

Eh? Where are you coming from and where are you going to? Middlewood to University?

During Phase 1 you can get the bus to Shalesmoor and then get on the Blue tram from Shalesmoor up the hill. Either that or walk up the hill.

And during Phase 4 there are no trams past the Cathedral to Hillsborough/Malin Bridge at all, no details of services yet so too early to even start panicking about that as its months and months away.

Edited by No User Name

Oughtibridge to University.

SL > Tram Replacement > Blue Tram

Or

57 > Blue Tram (although every single day the Blue Tram is ahead of the 57 at the time I go to work so I doubt it will be at Shalesmoor by the time the 57 gets there). Same with the 57 for going home, that has always gone ahead of my normal yellow tram. So I haven't got a choice but to suffer a longer journey time because they can't do a proper connection service.

Edited by Groose

Well it's your choice to live in the sticks, my dear :D

Late for work? there is always the option to set off a few minutes earlier. Problem solved.

Try living at Norfolk Park where you had chaos for months and months, then get back to me with your moaning.

---------- Post added 21-03-2014 at 15:27 ----------

Just seen your PM. My advice remains - set off a few minutes earlier.

Edited by No User Name

Full Schedule of forthcoming works,

03/14-04/14 Cuthbert Bank Rd 1.1Wks

03/14-04/14 Wood Street 0.6Wks

03/14-04/14 Infirmary Rd 1.1Wks

03/14-04/14 Hillsborough Corner 3.1Wks

03/14-04/14 Hillsborough Tram Stop 1.5Wks

03/14-04/14 Capel Street 0.9Wks

05/14 Malin Bridge 0.8Wks

05/14 White Ln Junction 0.9Wks

05/14 White Ln 1Wks

05/14 White Ln/Fox Ln 1Wks

06/14-07/14 City Rd 2.9Wks

06/14-07/14 Birley Moor Rd Tram Stop 0.6Wks

06/14-07/14 Donetsk Way 0.7Wks

06/14-07/14 Sheffield Rd 0.5Wks

07/14-09/14 Cathedral – Netherthorpe Rd 7.2Wks

03/15-04/15 Cathedral Triangle 3.4Wks

03/15-04/15 Tinsley 2.9Wks

The rest will be done between 2017 & 2024 including Spring Ln all the way to Leighton Rd and all the remaining sections between Shalesmoor & Middlewood.

There are more details along with the order work is being carried out here - http://www.sypte.co.uk/uploadedFiles/Corporate/Projects_and_Awards/SYPTE%20SSRR%20-%20Supporting%20Information.pdf

What does 0.7 weeks mean in real time? If it's a day then what is 0.5???

I think it means 1 day to 6 months

This is going to be carnage. There will basically be no trams between Hillsborough and the city centre from now till at least the end of September.

I hope the centre can cope with all the extra cars that are going to descend on it.

I don't know why they can't just work nights and weekends instead.

I think it means 1 day to 6 months

Ta! That clears that up nicely. ;)

0.7 weeks is approx. 5 days, not 1 day, 0.5 is half so 3.5 days

---------- Post added 22-03-2014 at 09:12 ----------

This is going to be carnage. There will basically be no trams between Hillsborough and the city centre from now till at least the end of September.

I hope the centre can cope with all the extra cars that are going to descend on it.

I really don't think it will be as bad as all that

Carnage: n - the slaughter of a great number of people, as in battle; butchery; massacre.

I can't ever remember them digging up and renewing every few years the tram lines of the past but then again in those days they were made of good quality English Steel.

I wonder where these steel tracks are made?

The Hillsborough line is only affected on Phase 1 (Hillsborough area) and Phase 4 (West Street) each which lasts about a month.

Phase 2 (Parkway Viaduct/Woodbourn Rd) and Phase 3 (White Lane/Beighton) won't close Hillsborough.

Also regular dedicated tram replacement buses will operate.

As for working nights and weekends - this isn't routine maintenance? It is a major investment to renew embedded track, each section takes several days constant work to complete (although I believe night working will be limited to reduce impact on local residents). Basically worn out track will be ripped out, the grooves the rail sit in will be deepened and tidied up and brand new rail laid. The road surface then needs finishing and testing carried out.

Amey will also be offered the opportunity to do corrective street works - such as on drainage - whilst the road is shut too.

The new tracks represent securing the safe, smooth and reliable operation of the tram system for another 20+ years as well as having track that is suitable for the new trams/tram-trains coming in a couple of years time.

---------- Post added 22-03-2014 at 12:53 ----------

I can't ever remember them digging up and renewing every few years the tram lines of the past but then again in those days they were made of good quality English Steel.

I wonder where these steel tracks are made?

Its not every few years - the tracks are 20 years old!

Edited by Andy C

Oughtibridge to University.

SL > Tram Replacement > Blue Tram

Or

57 > Blue Tram (although every single day the Blue Tram is ahead of the 57 at the time I go to work so I doubt it will be at Shalesmoor by the time the 57 gets there). Same with the 57 for going home, that has always gone ahead of my normal yellow tram. So I haven't got a choice but to suffer a longer journey time because they can't do a proper connection service.

Supertram Link? We should be so lucky...we put up with the original tram works and disruption whilst it was being built...now we can't get on it due to the 'shipping in' of residents further afield!

How did you get to work before the tram?

Longer journey time seems like the only option...unfortunately.