Best tom tom sat nav model for uk use

the time has come for me to enter the 21st century and invest in a sat nav. what is the best tom tom sat nav model for uk use. i dont need EU. (i'm a UKIP member so wont be going there.) i need clear graphics and concise instructions. cost is not an issue as they are all close in price anyway.

which model do you have, what do you like about it, and how modern is it?

speedy comments appreciated.

If you've got a smartphone then I wouldn't really bother with a separate sat nav.

I used NavFree (ad supported but ad-free version is £2) on a Nexus 5. Maps are stored on phone so there's little/no data usage on the go, I disabled my data and it worked as normal.

UK map is free to download, if you need other countries then you need to purchase them

If you've got a smartphone then I wouldn't really bother with a separate sat nav.

I used NavFree (ad supported but ad-free version is £2) on a Nexus 5. Maps are stored on phone so there's little/no data usage on the go, I disabled my data and it worked as normal.

UK map is free to download, if you need other countries then you need to purchase them

dont have a smartphone i'm afrraid.

I have a smartphone and a satnav. The navfree app is not in the same league as what an actual satnav can do. I have the TomTom Via range btw and even the TomTom own phone app is not quite the same.

I have a smartphone and a satnav. The navfree app is not in the same league as what an actual satnav can do. I have the TomTom Via range btw and even the TomTom own phone app is not quite the same.

Erm Navfree has every option I've seen on a sat nav and is just as accurate.

It does exactly what a sat nav does, provide navigation assistance, with the positive of one less gadget in the car.

If an update is available, no need to connect to PC via a 3rd party application. Connect to wifi and hit update. Job done.

And finally. No need to faff about adding destinations. I have address details for practically all of my phonebook. Navfree can access it directly so no need to look in the phonebook then tap it into a separate device, just click contact and instant route.

So please, do tell me how a stand-alone satnav is better?

I have a Garmin satnav and they are great with free EU maps and upgrades.

Erm Navfree has every option I've seen on a sat nav and is just as accurate.

It does exactly what a sat nav does, provide navigation assistance, with the positive of one less gadget in the car.

If an update is available, no need to connect to PC via a 3rd party application. Connect to wifi and hit update. Job done.

And finally. No need to faff about adding destinations. I have address details for practically all of my phonebook. Navfree can access it directly so no need to look in the phonebook then tap it into a separate device, just click contact and instant route.

So please, do tell me how a stand-alone satnav is better?

Haha you are like comparing a camera on a phone over a DSLR. They both take photos and that is all you need.

Lane assist?

Edited by sky0000547

Haha you are like comparing a camera on a phone over a DSLR. They both take photos and that is all you need.

Lane assist?

No I'm not. There are distinct advantages with a DSLR over camera-phone so it's not a valid comparison.

If someone needs lane assistance from an electronic gadget sat in the windscreen, given that there are road signs, marking etc already in place then they need to look at re-taking their test. I've not once whilst driving needed to question which lane I need after reading signs/markings.

No I'm not. There are distinct advantages with a DSLR over camera-phone so it's not a valid comparison.

If someone needs lane assistance from an electronic gadget sat in the windscreen, given that there are road signs, marking etc already in place then they need to look at re-taking their test. I've not once whilst driving needed to question which lane I need after reading signs/markings.

If you can read signs then why bother with a satnav. It's like saying I can read a map I don't need satnav. I'm not gonna waste my time with you.

Edited by sky0000547

If you like things nice and like things comfortouble get a tom tom via with a 4inch screen. / Its okay on the phone as a back up you can then use your phone for what you bought it for./ some smart alec will come up with what about blue tooth ./ Ignore them due whats best and easy for you sat navs are fantastic you will wonder why you didnt get one years ago :hihi::hihi: COURIES have sat navs they dont mess about with having it on there phones . END OFF. sky 0000 not so smart :loopy::loopy:

Edited by spider1

just to clarify matters. i looked at sat nav because i am due to start a job that requires me to get there without any detours caused by my map reading skills.

i need to get a smartphone, firstly, to take pictures of my work to send to HQ. secondly, i am on voda PAYG but i am losing incoming calls because of the poor state of their network now. i will be taking my number to EE and am looking at a contract smartphone because i will also need lots of minutes. i also need one with a very loud ringtone as i work in noisy environments.

if you are on EE, what phone do you have and what contract are you on?

all help appreciated.

Edited by muckymurphy
add

If you can read signs then why bother with a satnav. It's like saying I can read a map I don't need satnav. I'm not gonna waste my time with you.

I use sat nav because I have to, as part of my job, visit towns/cities I don't know. I use it as a guide but I still read signs/markings and if they say different to the sat nav then the sat nav gets ignored, happened a few times with one-way streets but that was using a TomTom & not blindly following the little voice in the box.

But you go ahead and have your little "I'm not wasting my time" tantrum. It just shows how weak and feeble your argument is.