Taking a chimney breast out

I am thinking of buying a house which as a chimney breast in the kitchen and dining room. In order to knock the kitchen into the dining room this chimney breast needs to come out. I want to take it out myself but I've never done it before. I am guessing I'll need a structural engineer and do I need planning permission? Then is it just a case of propping the ceilings up then taking down the chimney?

Thanks

usually when removing lower chimney breasts out, you will need to install a rsj on padstones, , before removing chimney breasts, it will need supporting with accros and strong boys ,building control will be needed and a structural engineer for calcs on rsj,

hope this helps

As said by mjhal you will need build regs and a sructral engineer to spec the steel its not a diy job give me a call if yoy want to do it by the book Mac 07976901492. cheers

Thank for your replies if I continue to remove the chimney in the bedroom too do I still need an RSJ between the kitchen and the dinning room?

Thanks

is the chimney built between the kitchen and dining room (back to back) and extending through your property only ? or is it built adjoining a neighbours party wall ?

If it continues up into the roof space then it will need supporting there. if its not a shared chimney then you are probably better taking it out completely and roofing over.

Remember if its shared chimney you have to serve a party wall notice aswell.....

Remember if its shared chimney you have to serve a party wall notice aswell.....

Na dont bother telling them only cause bother. Get it knocked down to late then for them to do anything. Tell neighbours to mind there own buisness if they moan about the noise. Nosy neighbours they make you sick :hihi::hihi: / Dawn 123 did hers for next to nothing so can you. easy peasy. To much messing about with inspectors for a small job. They only try to find fault any way

---------- Post added 18-03-2014 at 13:25 ----------

Good mac eh . You got to have a laugh. :hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi: More work for you when house falls down

Edited by spider1

Play it by the book - building regs and structural engineer as outlined by some above.

Someday you might want to sell the house and the prospective buyers surveyor could well be asking you for the relevant permissions.

You could yourself in a hard place selling it if you haven't done it by the book.

Just my personal opinion.