Morrisons Profits

What an inconsiderate view this is. There is an old saying which is appropriate - 'Two wrongs don't make a right'.

As for Morrisons, they are no worse or better than any other company who are in business to make money.

I've no objection to anybody making money but when supermarkets make themselves virtually unaffordable to a large percentage of people who then are forced to shop elsewhere, then they deserve to lose trade.

I recently found some old shopping receipts (Tesco) from 2009, a can of Heinz soup was 53p, the same product is now £1.50 plus, other items will have risen in a similar way, I have no sympathy for company's using blatant exploitative practices to raise profits.

I found this very hard to believe so I just did a quick google to find that Hienz tomato soup at Tesco is actually 50p.

It's very hard to take anyone serious who seems hell bent on putting hundreds of thousands of people out of work, and this just shows how pathetic you are with your arguments.

Are they not risking putting there own employees out of work if people are not shopping there?

How many of these employees will have seen any benefit from the huge profits?

Well, Anna, they've bought a lot of these crappy little convenience stores and some one bigger ones too, right at the time places like Aldi and Lidl are booming because of the economic crisis. Wasn't there news articles this week saying Morrisons were going to start taking on the likes of Aldi and Lidl? I think they'll be OK. - £100m down from £800m is not a great loss, especially inlight of just a year's turnover.

Mecky, I don't think it's £100m down from last year's profit, it's a £100m loss full stop, so £900m down from last year. Morrisons have really been caught snoozing with their lack of on-line service until this year, and they've not gone into the convenience outlet model like the others until now.

A question for you all - have your shopping habits changed significantly over the last couple of years? I can understand that people are being more thrifty and switching to discount stores, but apparently more people are using the smaller local outlets frequently, rather than doing a big weekly shop. I don't get how this is any more economical?

I really hope Morrisons go under and are joined quickly by the odious Tesco who's recent goods for the troops initiative was beyond contempt.

so you prefer LESS competition, possibly higher prices for us??

Are they not risking putting there own employees out of work if people are not shopping there?

I would see the fact that they have regular and stable employment a benefit of those profits.

Can I ask, where do you do your shopping?

I would see the fact that they have regular and stable employment a benefit of those profits.

Can I ask, where do you do your shopping?

funny you should ask that, round here it depends on where im going, i use public transport so its difficult, so go to the easy place which is normally one type

ie:- redcar = morrisons

guisborough = morrisons

near work = small sainsburies or now an asda

whitby = morrisons i think

middlesbrough - morrisons

lidl, aldi and tesco are a bit too difficult for me to get to, off the beaten track

Edited by melthebell

I've no objection to anybody making money but when supermarkets make themselves virtually unaffordable to a large percentage of people who then are forced to shop elsewhere, then they deserve to lose trade.

I recently found some old shopping receipts (Tesco) from 2009, a can of Heinz soup was 53p, the same product is now £1.50 plus, other items will have risen in a similar way, I have no sympathy for company's using blatant exploitative practices to raise profits.

err no you can sill buy it for about 50p. Presumably you have free choice amd can go and shop elsewhere?

---------- Post added 15-03-2014 at 11:48 ----------

1. Your logic is well illogial. On the one side you blame them for profiteering on the other sode you berate them for not making their employees enough money. Any person who wnats hundreds of thousands of people to lose their jobs deserves contempt.

2. Morrisons runs an employee share shceme where employees can buy subsidised shares. the other perks are having a salary and a job.

3> which other of the supermarkets would you like to go out of business? You just want everything to be an Aldi?

Edited by 999tigger

We used to use Morrison, for many years. Last time I have been in one is 5 years ago and no intention to go back, there are better places out there with better products.

Same thing will happen to Tesco one day. Only fools shop there, thinking that Tesco is their loving helping friend that whispers in your ear that every little helps. But they sell almost rotten at sell by date low quality stuff for usually 40% more expensive than aldi.

We have shopped at Morrisons since we moved to Hillsborough some seven/eight years ago. I can't recall the number of times I have said in the past year that I was getting p-ed off with them. There has been a noticeable increase in prices for a lot of things, their offers are frequently of the paper-tiger variety where the products are so over-priced normally that I wouldn't dream of buying them if they weren't on offer.

I am not surprised they are struggling, they failed to be in time for the online-shopping trend, they failed to be in time for the down-sized shops trend, they failed to take full advantage of the horse-meat scandal despite being in a perfect position to do so. They trended upmarket when it was obvious that the real growth was downmarket (as someone said, aiming to be a Waitrose when they should be aiming to be an Aldi).

The only reason I keep going is because it is convenient and because I really don't care for any of the others either, but increasingly we are spending our pounds elsewhere in separate shopping-trips.

Let the fools on here keep shopping at these places and wasting there hard earned money on them, I will never use Tesco again but will use Morrisons and Sainsburys for the occasional (and I stress, occasional) item for convenience, I use my local shops, road side fruit and veg stall, Welbeck Farm Shop and Aston Springs Farm and Aldi.

Hypocrisy at its best.

Spending between a quid and a tenner in these places whilst passing is totally different from spending £120 weekly with them, I take it your another of the gullible!