Sinkhole near the arts tower

here's a twitter link https://twitter.com/CameronClarke89/status/444477341423919104

the steam sounds odd for a sink hole

Being it's university and the hospital is quite close it might be part of the steam system??

They use it for some of the industrial cleaning equipment, and I think maybe heating too??

Is it part of the district heating system - powered by the incinerator on Bernard Road?

Oh God.

Sink holes are my worst ever EVER fear.

They are the stuff nightmares are truly made of :(

Me too!! Too many (proper) ones starting to appear for my liking. So even this freaks me out a bit!!

I'm sure there was a boiler house under the Arts Tower car park, it was no longer used when they switched to the district heating system.

I suspect its a pipe-work ducting channel that has collapsed. If it truly was a sink-hole, all the buildings around it would have to be evacuated.

There was a similar bool of steaming water on a patch of ground behind staples last year.

By the time I got there, the hole had been roped of and was being kept at a safe distance from the public by the University Security Guards.

Arts Tower Sink Hole

Arts Tower Sink Hole

K.

Edited by karl101

There's some photos here.

This is what happened when ricgem tried to advance his education :)

it was a fine mist like steam

Yeah sorry about that, I had a lamb boona last night.

Similar sight over the last few days at the Park Hill side of Glencoe Road. Looks like it could be a collapsed sewer? Road has had a diversion but not nice to know we've been driving over it a few times a day and could have gone at any point.

The university and the areas mentioned park hill etc are all on the district heating system which is fed by the incinerator at Bernard road radio Sheffield said veiola are looking into it

I've seen bigger pot holes going down my street :hihi: