BBC World Service - Miners Strikes

I genuinely dread to think where we would be now without that necessary evil.

0 contract hours/agency work/workfare and big businesses paying hardly any taxes and banks causing a recession and the people in charge not facing any comebacks:loopy: this country needed more people like bob crowe and less like thatcher and her ilk. thatcher gave this country a good shake up (which only benefited the well off/rich type) this country needs another giving something back for the working men/women of this country :roll:

0 contract hours/agency work/workfare and big businesses paying hardly any taxes and banks causing a recession and the people in charge not facing any comebacks:loopy: this country needed more people like bob crowe and less like thatcher and her ilk. thatcher gave this country a good shake up (which only benefited the well off/rich type) this country needs another giving something back for the working men/women of this country :roll:

Yes, she shook the country up and created a froth of the really well off, leaving everyone else to filter what falls from them.

I agree Scargill is an odious little man. There should have been a second ballot, and his self-agrandisement at the expense of the NUM has been nothing short of a disgraceful. But don't you think the change to modern industrialisation could have been better handled? Throwing 250,000 miners on the scrap heap and then all the steelworkers as well was asking for trouble.

But then the Tories have always had utter contempt for the working man, other than to make themselves richer.

But, like Bob Crow, he practiced what the right-wingers on here preach.

But, like Bob Crow, he practiced what the right-wingers on here preach.

Indeed. I'm not about to defend their lifestyles at all.

I heard a story (don't know if it's true,) of a miner's wife seeing Arthur Scargill dining in a posh expensive restaurant during the miner's strike, barging in and emptying a plateful of soup over his head.

I hope it's true. Sums up my feelings exactly

Indeed. I'm not about to defend their lifestyles at all.

I heard a story (don't know if it's true,) of a miner's wife seeing Arthur Scargill dining in a posh expensive restaurant during the miner's strike, barging in and emptying a plateful of soup over his head.

I hope it's true. Sums up my feelings exactly

Yet there are so many out there who cannot see Unions for what they really are.............. a platform for their leaders to push their own political agenda.

Yet there are so many out there who cannot see Unions for what they really are.............. a platform for their leaders to push their own political agenda.

No I disagree. The Trade Union Movement was about solidarity and someone to speak up for the working man.

As far as I'm concerned it still is, or at least the best we've got.

The Union leaders are often betrayers of these principles and should be ashamed, but no more so than politicians who also jump on the bandwagon, feather there own nests, lie through their teeth, break promises and betray their own members and voters.

Apart from a few exceptions, all are a shower of s**t as far as I'm concerned....

Power Corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Scargill was worth a 100 Margaret Thatchers. She lied about the level of pit closures, that Scargill had said she wanted to close. She was one big bully. You only have to also look at the Hillsborough enquiry where cops were told to change evidence to show what an immoral person she was. Thank heavens she is dead, Englands a better place without her in it

Scargill was worth a 100 Margaret Thatchers. She lied about the level of pit closures, that Scargill had said she wanted to close. She was one big bully. You only have to also look at the Hillsborough enquiry where cops were told to change evidence to show what an immoral person she was. Thank heavens she is dead, Englands a better place without her in it

Scargill had got too big for his boots ,and was trying to bully the government and dictate government policy . Scargills big mistake was he underestimated The Great Lady . He wrongly assumed she would roll over and cave in . Grave mistake. He led the miners like Lambs to the slaughter . He had to be stopped and was duly crushed by the Great Lady . You cannot have unions who think they can bully governments . Scargill bit off a lot more than he could chew when he took on Mrs Thatcher ,and his members suffered the consequences of his actions, not scargill himself. He`s ok , nice comfy lifestyle , nice homes , nice pension. It was their own leader who shafted the miners.

Worked for everything ive got . I started with nowt .

And like rest of us thats what you will end up with.

---------- Post added 13-03-2014 at 19:34 ----------

No , never been a miner, but I have no time what so ever for that fool Scargill or any trade union. Unions are poison , there purely to try and hold Governments and employers to ramsom. Scargill picked on the wrong Prime Minister when he tried to take on Mrs Thatcher. He thought she would roll over and let the union bully here Government. Bad mistake by Scargill ,and his massive ego and stupidity cost thousands of men their jobs.

Perhaps you should have been a Sheffield grinder in the 1930's bent or a grinding wheel filling your lungs with dust and ****e when any minute the stone could explode in your face and take your head off.

Or in the building trade working on unsafe scaffold or down a twenty foot deep unshored trench [either do it or pith of].

Or in a rolling mill with no safety barriers in place where you can get strip steel wrapped around your legs.

Or in service to the rich and again if you fell ill then bad luck as there is plenty more idiots where you come from.

And last but not least you could have been in the bowels of the earth digging coal day after day risking the very ground above to fall and crush you or a gas explosion to blow you to kingdom come or as in my village a fire to burn 90 of your work mates to death.

I could go on but blokes like you make me ashamed to be part of the human race .

If it was not for the unions all of the above would still be happening and in some instances it still is.

Edited by cuttsie
mad as hell that any one can be so bleedin smugg

Scargill had got too big for his boots ,and was trying to bully the government and dictate government policy . Scargills big mistake was he underestimated The Great Lady . He wrongly assumed she would roll over and cave in . Grave mistake. He led the miners like Lambs to the slaughter . He had to be stopped and was duly crushed by the Great Lady . You cannot have unions who think they can bully governments . Scargill bit off a lot more than he could chew when he took on Mrs Thatcher ,and his members suffered the consequences of his actions, not scargill himself. He`s ok , nice comfy lifestyle , nice homes , nice pension. It was their own leader who shafted the miners.

And yet you don't seem to object to the bankers getting too big for their boots, bullying governments and dictating government policy. The only difference as far as I can see is the results of the Unions labours was shared among many, whereas the bankers bonuses are shared among few.

I wonder how many of your tenants are on zero hours contract :roll:

I don't see Scargill as being to big for his boots. What he did was to try and protect the industry and communities that were dependant on the industry. You can argue what you want about his tatics but in the end he was right about what was happening to the industry as was proved in the leaked reports the other week.