Off To Henley In July - Help Needed For Newbie Please

Hello all

I have just booked my first camping trip, I'm off to Swiss Farm Camp Site near Henley On Thames in July. I unintentionally booked for the week when the Regatta is on so theres a bonus :)

I'm a little unsure of what to expect when I get there, I have no idea of how campsites work. I'm hoping the staff will show me where to pitch my tent and where the facilities are :confused:

I am getting there by train/walking/bus and I'm looking forward to the journey, I will be dosing myself up on pain killers as I'm determined to be pain free throughout my visit

Can anyone suggest what I should expect from the staff when I arrive? Also can anyone suggest a basic list of items I will need baring in mind I will be limited to what I can carry?

All the best

Mark

A striped Blazer and yachting cap are essential. It would help if you were to bone up on the various types of Pimms. Whatever you do try to avoid your (presumably) Sheffield accent. You may frighten the livestock and the locals will not understand you.

Remember to carry your Tory party membership card, could be essential in an emergency.

A striped Blazer and yachting cap are essential. It would help if you were to bone up on the various types of Pimms. Whatever you do try to avoid your (presumably) Sheffield accent. You may frighten the livestock and the locals will not understand you.

Remember to carry your Tory party membership card, could be essential in an emergency.

Lol I like your response. Luckily I'm not really bothered with the actual Regatta, I would look like a walking biscuit tin :)

Lol I like your response. Luckily I'm not really bothered with the actual Regatta, I would look like a walking biscuit tin :)

Enjoy your trip, its actually ok down there, plenty to see. Cant advise you on camping though, but have a good time.

This is what I would recommend:

- tent

- little gas stove with kettle

- sleeping bag (get one for low temperatures or you will be cold in the night or wear thermals)

- small lightweight picnic table (not essential since you won't have a car but very helpful)

- lightweight camping chair

- cutlery and breakfast pots

- items for washing your pots (sinks will be provided near the toilet blocks)

I think that's about it really. If you haven't got an extra large suitcase to pack it all in with your clothes, I'd look at those lightweight trolleys that you can get and use bungee straps to hold it all together on the trolley.

They will tell you at reception if they have reserved a pitch for you but if you aren't having a hook up, they may just say anywhere in that area.

This is what I would recommend:

- tent

- little gas stove with kettle

- sleeping bag (get one for low temperatures or you will be cold in the night or wear thermals)

- small lightweight picnic table (not essential since you won't have a car but very helpful)

- lightweight camping chair

- cutlery and breakfast pots

- items for washing your pots (sinks will be provided near the toilet blocks)

I think that's about it really. If you haven't got an extra large suitcase to pack it all in with your clothes, I'd look at those lightweight trolleys that you can get and use bungee straps to hold it all together on the trolley.

They will tell you at reception if they have reserved a pitch for you but if you aren't having a hook up, they may just say anywhere in that area.

Thanks for that

The list is very helpful

I checked with the campsite and they told me I can pitch where I like on the second field

Theres gonna be security on the gate too because of the Regatta, a nice extra I thought

:)

Ask other campers you will find them very helpful,enjoy yourself

Just a few other things to add to your list.........

A tin opener.

A torch.

A lighter.

A mallet to knock in your tent pegs ( the ground is often rock hard )

Happy camping.

Was going the same week myself but with the Tour De France here i've knocked it back to Augast...The Regata should be good but I think the prices will rocket that week.

You say your journey is by rail, bus and walk..I plan to train it to Reading then hopefully catch a connection to Henley, have a good week