Fitting cooker hob into worktop

Hi, not sure if its the right section.

Im currently fitting my new kitchen and Ive just cut the hole into the worktop to fit the hob into, it fits fine to the sides, front and back but sits about 5mm proud. The reason for this is the two strengthening bars running across the oven housing below.

My question is, should I be removing the unit strengthening bars below so that it fits in properly, or is there something else I should be doing?

Can the unit the oven is in not drop down a little bit?

Not ideal I know, but cutting up the oven sounds abit drastic.

Can the unit the oven is in not drop down a little bit?

Not ideal I know, but cutting up the oven sounds abit drastic.

not really, the plinths then wouldn't fit and it wouldnt be inline with the rest of the units.

and its the oven unit that will be cut not the oven,

If you have a unit either side of the oven housing remove the bars.

You should be able to remove the section of the unit top rail so the hob fits flush without fully removing the top rail, if you fully remove the top rail you will be able to see the bottom of the hob above the oven.

You should be able to remove the section of the unit top rail so the hobflush without fully removing the top rail, if you fully remove the top rail you will be able to see the bottom of the hob above the oven.

Yes you can cut it out to the shape of the hob, but the clips that hold the hob down also need notching out making the rail very weak, seeing the bottom of the hob is barely noticable.

---------- Post added 11-03-2014 at 22:19 ----------

If the gap above the oven does bother you, you could always plant a strip across once the hob is fitted in place.

Also depends if you can remove the top rail without damaging the carcass, we manufacture units with a full top to each unit which is glued and dowled,

it looks like the bars will have to be removed, I just wanted to check that there wasnt an important reason for them being there. The other units either side should keep it pretty rigid.

---------- Post added 11-03-2014 at 22:39 ----------

Also depends if you can remove the top rail without damaging the carcass, we manufacture units with a full top to each unit which is glued and dowled,

it is glued and dowled unfortunately, gonna have to take the saw to them .

and its the oven unit that will be cut not the oven,

oh yea I see what you mean, sorry.

I think I had the same problem, I chopped one support bar and moved the other.

To be honest when the unit is secured to the wall in several places, secured to the unit next to it and secured to the worktop those support bars really aren't doing much.