Finding out phone codes for Sheffield districts

I think 232 is walkley (to wadsley exchange). I used to have a 232 number up there.

I think 233 can be stannington too :)

What annoys me is when people say it's 01142, it is not it's 0114 the 2 was the prefix to the number.

But we did have 6 digit numbers when I was a lad.

0742 662653

Before 1965, Sheffield had 5-digit telephone numbers, with the first digit indicating the exchange area of the telephone line. Sheffield's 6-digit numbers were implemented by prefixing the original 5-digit numbers with a duplicate of the first digit (seen below), other than the 2xxxx numbers which were prefixed by 7 (as seen by the last example). This grouped telephone numbers centrally in the 1 to 9 range with a larger "buffer" at the extremes.[1][2][3]

Exchange Area

Area Affected

Original Number System

New Number System

Hillsborough 3xxxx 33x-xxx

Brightside/Attercliffe 4xxxx 44x-xxx

Heeley/Abbeydale 5xxxx 55x-xxx

Crookes/Broomhill 6xxxx 66x-xxx

City Centre 2xxxx 72x-xxx

Switching to 6-digit numbers produced 90,000 available numbers for each exchange group, providing another 450,000 available numbers after combining both phases, producing a potential 500,000 numbers in Sheffield.

Between regions[edit]

Until the 1980s, Stocksbridge, Oughtibridge, and some other areas had 4-digit numbers. Within Stocksbridge and Oughtibridge people dialed only 4-digit numbers, while from Sheffield people dialed prefix 88 for Stocksbridge and prefix 86 for Oughtibridge. From Oughtibridge, people dialed 88xxxx for Stocksbridge and 9xxxxxx for Sheffield. This led to some confusion, leading people to often dial wrong numbers. During the 1980s these local areas were unified into 6-digit Sheffield numbers so that from anywhere in the Sheffield code area, 88xxxx dialed a Stocksbridge number, even from within Stocksbridge. Once the 8-prefix was merged into the full local number this released 8xxxxx numbers

Edited by andrejuan

In North Yorkshire there are 6 digit numbers too!

But we did have 6 digit numbers when I was a lad.

0742 662653

Doesn't change the fact that the STD code is now

0114 and not 01142.

269 is Woodhouse handsworth

264 intake gleadless

In North Yorkshire there are 6 digit numbers too!

Hmm, and I wonder why that is? :rolleyes:

I'm intrigued that the first two or three numbers of Sheffield phone numbers seem to be linked to the district. I presume it reflects which local telephone exchange your connected to.

For example these are ones Ive worked out (but just from the 1 or 2 numbers I knoe in each area).

266 is Greystones and 268 is Hunters Bar

258 is Highfield, 255 Meersbrook

234 Walkley

233 Hillsborough

Anyone disagree with these or have their own to contribute?

I guess it gets mucked up when people move and 'take their old number with them'.

You can't take your number if its a different exchange.

I've had 233XXXXX when I was living in S5. I'm sure I've also had a number beginning with a 3 recently. Mine now begins with 288, its really easy to remember :) not that I use it though!

Isabelle, actually you can.

I was given my current number by BT, in 1996, when they changed it for me after they made a massive goof in publishing my ex-directory number.

I have moved from Manor in 1998 to Gleadless Valley, and then to Arbourthorne in 1999 and to Sharrow in 2003, and I have kept the same number every time I moved.

I even ported the number from BT to Yorkshire Cable, in 2001 (YC being the predecessor to Telewest, which became Virgin) I have stayed with YC/ Virgin since 2001.

and if your line is rented from sky then your numbers begin with 4, not 2

Mines with sky and doesn't start with a 4.

I have a VOIP phone and within reason you can choose your number. I live just outsied Sheffield in the Hope Valley and as I run a business line I chose an 0114 prefix so it looks like the company is still Sheffield based (as it was for 25 years)

You can see the full numbering allocation if you type 0114 into the code lookup here.

You'll see that the local exchanges have an allocation for physical lines and that there are other allocations for virtual lines for a whole lot of providers.

What annoys me is when people say it's 01142, it is not it's 0114 the 2 was the prefix to the number.

Yes, it was a false economy for some firms merely to replace the '0742' with '01142'.

As the seven-digit numbers in use often start not with a '2', many companies older databases and websites can't cope.