Finding out phone codes for Sheffield districts

I'm intrigued that the first two or three numbers of Sheffield phone numbers seem to be linked to the district. I presume it reflects which local telephone exchange your connected to.

For example these are ones Ive worked out (but just from the 1 or 2 numbers I knoe in each area).

266 is Greystones and 268 is Hunters Bar

258 is Highfield, 255 Meersbrook

234 Walkley

233 Hillsborough

Anyone disagree with these or have their own to contribute?

I guess it gets mucked up when people move and 'take their old number with them'.

Doesnt really work like that anymore, partly due to the reason you described. Plus the 2xxxxxx numbers are running low and we are now moving on to 3's.

237 is Lowedges/Greenhill

274 is Greenhill/Beauchief

Totally agree that there's a pattern (unless you move and take your number with you!)

and if your line is rented from sky then your numbers begin with 4, not 2

My line used to be rented from sky and I was given a number that started 274.... (When I first had a line installed it was with sky)

My line is with Sky and begins with a 2

OK just to clarify, before the whole world tells me their sky line begins with a 2, I got my sky line in the last 3 months. When I asked the BT engineer who came to fix the broadband line (because someone at the exchange messed up) about the numbering system, she said that Sky was now allocated numbers beginning with 4 as they were running out of numbers beginning with 2.

I'm intrigued that the first two or three numbers of Sheffield phone numbers seem to be linked to the district. I presume it reflects which local telephone exchange your connected to.

For example these are ones Ive worked out (but just from the 1 or 2 numbers I knoe in each area).

266 is Greystones and 268 is Hunters Bar

258 is Highfield, 255 Meersbrook

234 Walkley

233 Hillsborough

Anyone disagree with these or have their own to contribute?

I guess it gets mucked up when people move and 'take their old number with them'.

If you put a phone number into a broadband checking site like http://www.samsknows.com it will tell you which exchange the number is connected to - they do generally follow a pattern.

---------- Post added 11-03-2014 at 13:15 ----------

OK just to clarify, before the whole world tells me their sky line begins with a 2, I got my sky line in the last 3 months. When I asked the BT engineer who came to fix the broadband line (because someone at the exchange messed up) about the numbering system, she said that Sky was now allocated numbers beginning with 4 as they were running out of numbers beginning with 2.

Mine was in the last 3 months too!

Mine begins with a 2

What annoys me is when people say it's 01142, it is not it's 0114 the 2 was the prefix to the number.

My number begins with 3 and I'm sky...

243 .... numbers are old Firth Park / Firvale numbers.