Tennant brothers exchange brewery

My son is doing a Sheffield history project for university about the Tennant brothers and exchange brewery.Very little information at the moment. If anyone can help or has any information many thanks.

Tennant bros were an independent Sheffield brewery until they were taken over around 1964 by the giant brewing company Whitbread.

I was there in the 60s and went on to be with Whitbread for 40 years (outside Sheffield)

The last Chairman at Tennant bros. was Henry Wilson owner of Wilsons famous snuff mill in Sheffield. On the board was Colonel Wise & Captain Francis amongst others and the Head brewer was the very well known Harold Burkinshaw who is remembered for creating the world famous Gold Label Barley Wine which had the reputation of being the strongest product of its kind in the world and was in the Guinness book of records.

The slogan for this Gold Label was "strong as a double scotch and half the price" it still sold in cans but in bygone times was only ever sold in "nips" ie. a 1/3rd pint bottle.

Tennant bros were an independent Sheffield brewery until they were taken over around 1964 by the giant brewing company Whitbread.

I was there in the 60s and went on to be with Whitbread for 40 years (outside Sheffield)

The last Chairman at Tennant bros. was Henry Wilson owner of Wilsons famous snuff mill in Sheffield. On the board was Colonel Wise & Captain Francis amongst others and the Head brewer was the very well known Harold Burkinshaw who is remembered for creating the world famous Gold Label Barley Wine which had the reputation of being the strongest product of its kind in the world and was in the Guinness book of records.

The slogan for this Gold Label was "strong as a double scotch and half the price" it still sold in cans but in bygone times was only ever sold in "nips" ie. a 1/3rd pint bottle.

I used to do work for Whitbreads for a contractor it was a good place to work then, a great canteen and very cheap I knew a lot of the lads there but its along time ago now,i used to take the Atkinsons drays up to preston for them to the factory.Were Fred Miles and Charlie Secker there then they ran the garage at Orgreave and Fred Young did the trailers at Shepcote lane.I knew one man his name was Charlie Heald and he was a barrel sniffer of all things.

Bullerboy,I remember all the names very well, Charlie Secker became the UK transport engineering manager and I worked with him on various projects.

Charlie Heald worked in the warehouse on Millsands

Fred Miles was chargehand Engineer, did you remember a chap in the office called Cy? and Stuart Black and John Melvin.

Bullerboy,I remember all the names very well, Charlie Secker became the UK transport engineering manager and I worked with him on various projects.

Charlie Heald worked in the warehouse on Millsands

Fred Miles was chargehand Engineer, did you remember a chap in the office called Cy? and Stuart Black and John Melvin.

I first knew Charlie Heald from 1960,he had a fishing tackle shop on Infirmary rd and his daughter Pat and a few of us were all friends, his wife Dolly was a hard grafter she was up before the sparrows cleaning railway coaches.Fred Miles was down at Orgreave garage i would get a phonecall from him about five o clock wanting some landing legs fitting on a trailer because some of the drivers were a bit naughty that involved me shooting off down there in the van with some new legs and burning the old ones off,by the time that I had the new ones on I didnt know what earth i was on this or fullers cos Fred kept bringing the pints.Ile tell you now this wernt the stuff that went through pub pipes.This was a regular thing but i was more than happy to oblige because i could book some good overtime.I cant recall the names you gave me but would have known their faces.Can you remember Pat Heppinstall who was in the canteen?There was an Italian fella who was on cellar maintenence who was a lady killer I cant remember his name.I had some good memories from whitbreads happy days.

Tennants owned Wileys a wine and spirit merchants who had a warehouse and distribution place on Castlegreen just below the Hen and Chickens, also they had a smaller W/S merchants called Porter Wright and company who focused more on the posher trade.

Wileys had an in house whisky called Wileys Black label and Porter Wright had one called Moorland Blend also Porter Wright had in house cigarettes called ( I think) Porter Wright No 2, Turkish tobacco which made ordinary cigs tastleless they were so strong. MD of porter Wright was Major Max Cockayne an absolute gent.

Captain Francis of Tennants had been invalided out of the army in the first world war following an accident in an armored car. His son John went on to become a director of Whitbreads when they bought Tennants out.

Colonel Wise was a nice guy, very posh but approachable. Captain Francis was a bit fierce but ok when you got to know him a bit.

The commissionaire was called "Sarge" wore his medals with pride. knew everything about everybody. Nice bloke.

Happy days the sixties, everything was changing not necessarily for the best, but a good time to be around.

Hi Nobbyclarke - you must have been there when Arrodbo and I was - started in 1959 in the order office - stayed 41 years!! - bet we could exchange some stories and names!!

Hi

Do you know my dad Sid Crowther

I am trying to fine people who worked with him if you can help

thank you

Andy Crowther

Hi my dad Eric Wilson worked for tennant brothers/Whitbreads for years I remember going to Christmas parties at mill sands as a little girl my dad finished working there in 1982

Was Eric Wilson a chap who was in a wheelchair? apologies if not but the name reminded me of someone who worked in the bottling office in the 1960s

No my dad worked delivering to the public houses