Hagg Hill - parking!

Just a little moan really...why do people park on the steepest part of Hagg Hill just as you turn up from Rivelin Valley Road? It is dangerous and causes traffic to back up. Hagg Hill is a tough hill anyway without having to negotiate parked cars! Perhaps there's only me this bothers but it's certainly not a place I would choose to park my car!

It's mostly to access the allotments there. There is a car park at the top of the hill, but the path to the bottom half of the site is very poorly maintained, and the hill's very steep if you're carrying anything (e.g. tools or produce), so most people with plots further down the hill park in the road.

The site's Allotment Association has been asking the council for better parking/access for years, but with very little to show for it. When a bridge was built to improve access from the car park off the Rivelin Valley road a year or so ago, two thirds of it was nicked within a week, which didn't help.

I think the people who park there are aware that it isn't ideal, but don't have a lot of choice.

What if you were delivering heavy stuff?

Or lots of plants?

To be honest it's always cars I've seen - never anything bigger and I travel this road twice a day

To be honest it's always cars I've seen - never anything bigger and I travel this road twice a day

You can fit a lot of stuff in a car. Surely you can see why the plot holders try to park close to their plots.

What if you were delivering heavy stuff?

Or lots of plants?

Having a lot of plants is a poor excuse to park in a poor place. Personally i'm not that bothered by them, but having a lot of pansies isn't the best excuse. Although i've never had a problem with them parking their and can't think of a time when it's inconvenienced me.

Is it true that people who hold allotments tend to be of a certain vintage, therefore cannot carry things very far.

Edited by Jmack

Having a lot of plants is a poor excuse to park in a poor place. Personally i'm not that bothered by them, but having a lot of pansies isn't the best excuse.

Parking on Hagg Hill is perfectly legal. A decent driver should be able to manoeuvre around a legally parked car.

Parking on Hagg Hill is perfectly legal. A decent driver should be able to manoeuvre around a legally parked car.

Agree with that, not illegal but at times inconsiderate.

We keep our horses up Hagg hill and it is extremely annoying that people park on the hill as have to drive that road at least 4 times a day I no it's not ideal for allotment people but they have legs they should just park at bottom of hill. Also the people that don't no that it is your right of way at the top and stop and then screech their tyres around the top of the hill scaring the horses. Also no one should be taking heavy goods up and down that road as there is a weight limit on the road which big scary lorries also scare horses! So I agree it is annoying that road is hard enough without having to stop start your car burning more fuel than you need too!!

I no it's not ideal for allotment people but they have legs they should just park at bottom of hill.

Where at the bottom of the hill? It's no parking all the way along to the cafe.

You must of learnt to drive along time ago then. Lived in Sheffield a long time never known the top of Hagg Hill being a junction if your coming up from Rivlin valley road

I'm sure that in the early 70's and perhaps later you had to 'Give Way' at the top of Hagg Hill if you were coming up it. It certainly was changed to give you the right of way at some point after that.

I'm sure that in the early 70's and perhaps later you had to 'Give Way' at the top of Hagg Hill if you were coming up it. It certainly was changed to give you the right of way at some point after that.

You're right, it did used to be Give Way at the top of Hagg Hill, I think it might be about 10-15 years ago that they changed it. Which makes it a bit worrying that some people still don't know.

Where at the bottom of the hill? It's no parking all the way along to the cafe.

There is enough room at the bottom a lot of people do park on there. A lot more room than there is on Hagg hill

Nope. The junction is clearly marked. If you are going up Hagg Hill you have right of way at the junction.

---------- Post added 10-03-2014 at 21:14 ----------

Not true. If you keep moving, a 1L car will easily get up Hagg Hill.

All it takes is a little anticipation and forethought.

Alternatively, drive round by Rivelin Post Office.

It can do, I agree. I always leave a lot of room between my car and the one in front. Then, if they stop, I just slow down until they start again.

You can fit a lot of stuff in a car. Surely you can see why the plot holders try to park close to their plots.

I don't know why but you are coming across as very holier than thou. You seem to be going out of your way to deride people who may have less experiance / skill than yourself.

I have never had any issue on Hagg Hill or with parked cars, but I can understand it is one of the more challenging roads to negotiate and have seen people fluff their gears and stall there many times.

But I won't openly scorn them. You just sound as though you are waiting for someone to praise you on what an exceptional driver you evidentally are.