Advice to stop my dog licking

Wondered it anyone had any good ideas. We have an adorable working type cocker 4 yrs old, acquired 9 months ago having previously used for breeding then working. She is a fab, happy little soul, gets quite a bit of exercise but she likes to lick us! Would like to deal with it as I don't like my face licking! She can't seem to help herself. I looked into it and see it can be an anxiety or submissive behaviour. Have tried ignoring and turning my back without much effect. Any suggestions?

Thanks

You say she was used for breeding,Perhaps its just her way of showing her love,its what she will have been doing all her breeding life licking her puppies loving them..Bless her why not just let her carry on if it makes her happy.

Does the dog just come up to you and start licking your face or is there something that you are doing that stimulates her to do this e.g. stroking or patting her? If it is the latter then perhaps you could avoid these situations for a little while until she gets out of the habit. The only other thing that I can think of is just to say a firm no and remove yourself from the vicinity. She will soon realise that the behaviour is not acceptable.

Dogs licking faces is not very hygienic, especially when they have cleaned their rear ends. Their mouths are probably full of bacteria, which is why dog bites can be so troublesome. Because of this I would think it is a definite no no with children, the elderly and people who have compromised immune systems.

Edited by ccit

Licking is a horrible habit for a dog to have, I really dislike it too.

To start I would not put your face that close so they can lick it. A lot of dogs do not like being hugged/ cuddled that closer so that could be one reason for the licking.

As soon as she does lick stop all attention. Move away, turn your back, ignore and go off and do a task. Be really consistent. Habits take time to build and take twice as long to break!

A more extreme way could possibly be do the same as above but paint yourself in something that they would not like to taste. I know you can by chew deterrent spray but not sure if this is suitable for use on human skin. maybe if they lick your fingers you could wear that stop biting nail polish.

Maybe a dog trainer would have some advice for you.

My little black cocker Alice has a habit of licking my hands when she's cuddles with me on the settee. I just use a sharp 'ah-ah' and she will stop for a moment, then I praise her for stopping. She will sometimes start licking me again when I resume watching tv or whatever, then I make her get off the settee, then allow er back up again in a few minutes. She seems to understand that she isn't supposed to lick me but she just cannot resist the temptation sometimes lol.

She loves licking in between toes :gag: and is very happy in the summer when everyone is bare foot in the garden :hihi:

I agree with the Evei, treat it as a habit that you need to break. You could also use a stuffed kong as a reward if you use an 'ah-ah' to interrupt her licking, then you are praising her for not licking and the kong will allow her to lick to her hearts content. Try peanut butter in a kong.

Spaniels are very licky and the bad habit can often turn to them licking themselves and causing themselves bald spots. Nip it in the bud :)

Thanks for the replies. Sorry delayed response but not online too often. Just letting her carry on is definitely not an option. It is affecting her relationship with people, who come to the house and don't like her to be near them due to it. And personally I don't like it. I am not madly against dogs licking but this is quite obsessive, and she always goes for the mouth :gag:. It seems to be about acceptance and submission as the more you say 'no' and push her away the more desperately she does it. Might need to get a dog trainer to help but will keep trying the ideas suggested.

:)

You or your guests may have been unknowingly reinforcing this behaviour? Ie, laughing/stroking/making a fuss when she starts licking.

I would begin by having a rule in the house that no one allows her to lick their face. I would interrupt her immediately when she starts licking with a loud "ah! ah!" then remove her from the room for 2 minutes. Repeat this until she can sit with you without trying to lick you, and stroke and fuss her when she can sit with you without licking.

Then move onto doing this when you have guests in. If this has become a habit, it will take time to break and you have to stick with it.

I would definitely get a kong for her too so she has something to lick.