Gay friendly, progressive church wanted

I think the Methodists are quite gay freindly, and it's even worth a try at your local Anglican church although they normally depend on the vicars personal beliefs.

The Quakers and Unitarians are the best LGBT friendly churches in town. Nationally there is the Metropolitan Community Church which has a congregation in Manchester, but they don't seem to have a presence in Sheffield as yet.

I'm not an expert in religions and stuff like that but don't limit yourself to certain kinds. Maybe there is a Muslim Church that is good with gay things too? Or a Hindoo one maybe? I'm sure there are other cults too (like Seex or Jewish faith).

A Muslim church good with gay things? :o

I am wanting to join a church in Sheffield, preferably near S11 area but can travel. But I'm trying to find one that isn't sexist, homophobic etc. One that's a bit more modern. All I can find on the Internet is CofE churches but I'm wanting to be baptised as an adult. Any ideas?

Others have already mentioned them, but for CofE St Mark's Broomhill and St Timothy's Crookes (both S10) are very open to gay members. I'd also second the suggestion of Crookes Valley Methodist. None would do a full immersion baptism, and I'm afraid I don't know much about any church that might do that.

Isn't it nice to see the horsemen of the enlightenment being so open and accepting of other people's points of view - gives you a nice warm fuzzy feeling :roll:

Most churches should be fine for you - even el pope has said "If a person is gay and seeks God and has good will, who am I to judge?" Try a few and see which one suits you. Personally if I had to choose one I would probably choose the quakers but t should be your personal choice.

How about ditching the religion and meet with the Sheffield Humanists.

How about ditching the religion and meet with the Sheffield Humanists.

Ooo you do know that might be too progressive/modern,

http://www.sheffield.humanist.org.uk/

just checked their site and funny enough after my statement, its not up to date lol

Edited by quicken

I am wanting to join a church in Sheffield, preferably near S11 area but can travel. But I'm trying to find one that isn't sexist, homophobic etc. One that's a bit more modern. All I can find on the Internet is CofE churches but I'm wanting to be baptised as an adult. Any ideas?

The CofE (like most churches) will baptise adults (as long as they haven't already been baptised).

There is an anglican church that sometimes has a stall at Pride. Possibly St Andrew's Psalter Lane? Pretty sure it was one from that area anyway.