Muslim Extremists trying to take over schools

But that's the point, they're not providing 'separate' meals, everyone should be able to eat the halal offering, assuming of course it's pre-stunned.

And by not providing a separate meal the majority has their eating choices limited according to the beliefs of others. That is not right... their beliefs are their business and following them their problem.

Profit margins do affect the wholesale cost though.

Yes, but to think that non-halal meat producers have higher profit margins is ridiculous.

Again, you're making my point..how does their belief impact on your choices?

Assuming the meat in schools is pre-stunned the only difference is that it's had some religious mumbo-jumbo recited over it, you'd have to be pretty small minded to fall out with anyone about that, especially when that view might result in the removal of a product that's cheaper-thereby narrowing choice on one of the most fundamental criteria.

No pork. No bacon sandwiches. No ham sandwiches. No margherita pizza etc, etc. No say in how the produce eated is slaughter.

You can call it small minded but why should the difficulties of complying with their religious beleiefs result in others having their choices limited? What is truly small minded are the terms of their religion... it is all nonsense and it makes no sense to go even a tiny bit out of our way to encourage it or help perpetuate it.

And by not providing a separate meal the majority has their eating choices limited according to the beliefs of others. That is not right... their beliefs are their business and following them their problem.
Who should they be providing a separate meal for, and for what reasons?

Yes, but to think that non-halal meat producers have higher profit margins is ridiculous.

I haven't claimed they do, but they're free to manipulate them in whatever way they choose, or do you think food supply should be subject to price and profit controls?

No pork. No bacon sandwiches. No ham sandwiches. No margherita pizza etc, etc. No say in how the produce eated is slaughter.

You can call it small minded but why should the difficulties of complying with their religious beleiefs result in others having their choices limited? What is truly small minded are the terms of their religion... it is all nonsense and it makes no sense to go even a tiny bit out of our way to encourage it or help perpetuate it.

Personally I don't see any problem in selling pork based products and pre-stunned halal originated non pork products, it's ridiculous that people get their knickers in a twist about halal meat without knowing how it's been slaughtered and whether subject to pre-stunning, you'll see from the DM article that it's the objectors regard for halal meat that's created the most indignation rather than being denied luncheon meat fritters.

You're talking but not listening.

As I said, I've no idea whether this school has banned pork or not, and the experiences of other schools isn't evidence, one way or another.

Actually I'm typing and reading but hey lets not be picky.

And I have already gathered that you have no idea. :)

I'm happy to believe the press and parents for now, simply because its not uncommon for pork to be banned in schools and because the council haven't claimed otherwise.

He's got a lot more idea than you have MrSmith.

People I think have valid objections to unstunned halal meat. The trouble is they take that and go frothing at the mouth about how all Muslim meat is so nasty. When I've asked them if they object to kosher meat the answer is of course not, the Jews are very nice people...

Far too much emotion and not enough objectivity in any debate about halal it seems.

EUREKA!

You've actually hit upon one of the reasons halal is preferred by many schools and public bodies..because just as in other areas of business Muslims are ferocious in competing on price so wholesale it's often cheaper than conventionally slaughtered meat, so far from paying a premium, it's the parents who object who are forcing higher costs on everybody.

Halal isn't cheaper though, so that knocks that theory on its head.

---------- Post added 10-03-2014 at 16:36 ----------

I regularly used to buy halal meat from the large Asda in Dewsbury, it was much cheaper and in my opinion of better quality than conventional meat, having said that I don't know if it was pre-stunned.

You do understand that its the same cows, nothing at all about the way they are slaughters affects the taste of the meat.

Halal isn't cheaper though, so that knocks that theory on its head.

It is if you have to offer an alternative. So it is cheaper to force non muslim pupils to accept halal when they don't want it than to offer 2 separate menus, because expecting Muslims to compromise on the matter would be considered racist.

But that's the point, they're not providing 'separate' meals, everyone should be able to eat the halal offering, assuming of course it's pre-stunned.

Profit margins do affect the wholesale cost though.

Again, you're making my point..how does their belief impact on your choices?

Assuming the meat in schools is pre-stunned the only difference is that it's had some religious mumbo-jumbo recited over it, you'd have to be pretty small minded to fall out with anyone about that, especially when that view might result in the removal of a product that's cheaper-thereby narrowing choice on one of the most fundamental criteria.

---------- Post added 10-03-2014 at 15:45 ----------

Well I wouldn't buy crap meat, and Ive been eating in Indian restaurants for decades, so I guess that answers your question.

I think the issue the parents have was that pork is now off the menu, and there is no such thing as halal pork, so presumably they are using more beef which is more expensive and not as healthy.

---------- Post added 10-03-2014 at 16:42 ----------

I suspect they hate the people who eat it more.

We all eat it so do they hate us all. :)

It is if you have to offer an alternative. So it is cheaper to force non muslim pupils to accept halal when they don't want it than to offer 2 separate menus, because expecting Muslims to compromise on the matter would be considered racist.

Alas, the Persecution Complex Card! :banana:

People I think have valid objections to unstunned halal meat. The trouble is they take that and go frothing at the mouth about how all Muslim meat is so nasty. When I've asked them if they object to kosher meat the answer is of course not, the Jews are very nice people...

Far too much emotion and not enough objectivity in any debate about halal it seems.

The only people frothing at the mouth are those trying to defend the actions of the school or deny that the story is legitimate.

I think the issue the parents have was that pork is now off the menu, and there is no such thing as halal pork, so presumably they are using more beef which is more expensive and not as healthy.

If you read the article, they seem to be complaining about inhumane and cruel slaughter methods, ironic really since they're probably feeding their progeny turkey twizzlers at the weekend.

If you read the article, they seem to be complaining about inhumane and cruel slaughter methods, ironic really since they're probably feeding their progeny turkey twizzlers at the weekend.

The primary concern is that pork is off the menu.

The only people frothing at the mouth are those trying to defend the actions of the school
Don't you think the school should be able to make 'minor adjustments' to their lunch menu?

or deny that the story is legitimate.

Not me, I said I didn't know if the story was true or not because based on the link to the DM article no mention is made by the school about banning pork.