Muslim Extremists trying to take over schools

Cheap meat always means compromises. Tactics for reducing cost include using drugs to stimulate rapid growth, cramming animals in confined spaces, poor hygiene, cheap slaughter methods, using unskilled labour, pumping meat full of water to increase weight etc.
Previously you were lamenting the proliferation of halal meat due to your belief that it increased costs and conventional meat was cheaper :huh:

A prayer to Allah doesn't reduce production costs.

Indeed it doesn't, but I was referring to wholesale costs, not production ones.

Schools are not buying halal meat because they have found it strikes the right balance between cost and quality. They are simply pandering to the religious beliefs of a minority... you are being disingenous pretending otherwise.

I'm not pretending otherwise, I believe schools are being pragmatic-they have Muslim pupils, they have non Muslims ones, provided they serve pre-stunned halal meat then they can kill several birds with one stone, by using one supplier-pandering to the Muslims, pandering to the xenophobes, pandering to the animal welfare activists, and best of all pandering to those kids who can indulge in meat on the menu because it's offered at a price point their parents can afford.

EUREKA!

You've actually hit upon one of the reasons halal is preferred by many schools and public bodies..because just as in other areas of business Muslims are ferocious in competing on price so wholesale it's often cheaper than conventionally slaughtered meat, so far from paying a premium, it's the parents who object who are forcing higher costs on everybody.

That's not what he was saying though is it ?

He was saying if they want something different then they should pay for it.

But you do raise something interesting in your reply, mainly that it is cheaper.

I tried to find out if it actually was on Google and find some places have been claiming tax exemption on the grounds of charity status. I wonder if they are claiming this and able to keep the price down ? If they are then it is even murkier than thought because they would be promoting the food and religion with relief from the Government to be able to to so. If its cheaper then its not a level playing field and schools will end up switching to HAl Hal for the savings at the expense of non Hal Hal suppliers and consumers.

That's not what he was saying though is it ?

He was saying if they want something different then they should pay for it.

I don't understand your reasoning Clowning, if the product they're seeking to purchase is cheaper than alternatives why should Muslims pay more for it?

But you do raise something interesting in your reply, mainly that it is cheaper.

I tried to find out if it actually was on Google and find some places have been claiming tax exemption on the grounds of charity status. I wonder if they are claiming this and able to keep the price down ? If they are then it is even murkier than thought because they would be promoting the food and religion with relief from the Government to be able to to so. If its cheaper then its not a level playing field and schools will end up switching to HAl Hal for the savings at the expense of non Hal Hal suppliers and consumers.

I know that Halal slaughterhouses are keen to penetrate the large wholesale meat market. They're well aware that to get a foot in the door of supermarkets, fast food chains and public bodies that price is king together with meat that's been pre-stunned to get over consumer objections.

I regularly used to buy halal meat from the large Asda in Dewsbury, it was much cheaper and in my opinion of better quality than conventional meat, having said that I don't know if it was pre-stunned.

Ps: I can't find any (legitimate) sources claiming halal slaughterhouses enjoy charitable status, only the 'letsmakeupthemostridiculousstoriesaboutIslam' websites ;)

Edited by boyfriday

indulge in meat on the menu because it's offered at a price point their parents can afford.

Why is it more affordable ?

I can't see any great savings in how the meat is prepared, they are less established than conventional abattoirs, so how can they offer discount meat without there being a decrease in the standard of the meat ?

Why is it more affordable ?

I can't see any great savings in how the meat is prepared, they are less established than conventional abattoirs, so how can they offer discount meat without there being a decrease in the standard of the meat ?

Presumably by taking less profit, just like any other business does to attract new customers.

Previously you were lamenting the proliferation of halal meat due to your belief that it increased costs and conventional meat was cheaper :huh:

I never said the cost of halal meat was more or less expensive... it is no doubt both depending on what you buy and from where. The additional cost I referred to is the cost of schools having to produce a separate meal to cater for a minority with dietry requirements dictated by religious beliefs. And if there are no additional costs then it is because non-halal meals are taken off the menu limiting the choice of the majority.

Indeed it doesn't, but I was referring to wholesale costs, not production ones.

Making the meal with the wholesale produce is not the only production cost. The wholesale meat has still been produced - breed, feed, kept, butchered, packaged, transported etc. Whether it is halal or not doesn't affect cost... that is down to production practices and standards.

I'm not pretending otherwise, I believe schools are being pragmatic-they have Muslim pupils, they have non Muslims ones, provided they serve pre-stunned halal meat then they can kill several birds with one stone, by using one supplier-pandering to the Muslims, pandering to the xenophobes, pandering to the animal welfare activists, and best of all pandering to those kids who can indulge in meat on the menu because it's offered at a price point their parents can afford.

It is not pragmatic it is submissive. Why should the choices of the majority be limited because of the religious beliefs of a minority? If Muslims want to believe there is a god who cares what they eat or how an animal is slaughtered then that is there business. But as soon as their beliefs start to impact on the choices of others then a line has been crossed and push back is both justified and inevitable.

I don't understand your reasoning Clowning, if the product they're seeking to purchase is cheaper than alternatives why should Muslims pay more for it?

I was not saying they should, I am saying that the other poster was saying that and you totally misread what was being said.

Go back and re read the post and then your reply to it, the reply does not suit the question.

---------- Post added 10-03-2014 at 15:43 ----------

Presumably by taking less profit, just like any other business does to attract new customers.

Isn't it more likely that the quality is worse ?

If you are to presume things then better to start with the phrase 'you get what you pay for' and work from there.

I never said the cost of halal meat was more or less expensive... it is no doubt both depending on what you buy and from where. The additional cost I referred to is the cost of schools having to produce a separate meal to cater for a minority with dietry requirements dictated by religious beliefs. And if there are no additional costs then it is because non-halal meals are taken off the menu limiting the choice of the majority.
But that's the point, they're not providing 'separate' meals, everyone should be able to eat the halal offering, assuming of course it's pre-stunned.

Making the meal with the wholesale produce is not the only production cost. The wholesale meat has still be produced - breed, feed, kept, butcher, packaged, transported etc. Whether it is halal or not doesn't affect cost... that is down to production practices and standards.

Profit margins do affect the wholesale cost though.

It is not pragmatic it is submissive. Why should the choices of the majority be limited because of the religious beliefs of a minority? If Muslims want to believe there is a god who cares what they eat or how an animal is slaughtered then that is there business. But as soon as their beliefs start to impact on the choices of others then a line has been crossed and push back is both justified and inevitable.

Again, you're making my point..how does their belief impact on your choices?

Assuming the meat in schools is pre-stunned the only difference is that it's had some religious mumbo-jumbo recited over it, you'd have to be pretty small minded to fall out with anyone about that, especially when that view might result in the removal of a product that's cheaper-thereby narrowing choice on one of the most fundamental criteria.

---------- Post added 10-03-2014 at 15:45 ----------

Isn't it more likely that the quality is worse ?

If you are to presume things then better to start with the phrase 'you get what you pay for' and work from there.

Well I wouldn't buy crap meat, and Ive been eating in Indian restaurants for decades, so I guess that answers your question.

I know that Halal slaughterhouses are keen to penetrate the large wholesale meat market. They're well aware that to get a foot in the door of supermarkets, fast food chains and public bodies that price is king together with meat that's been pre-stunned to get over consumer objections.

I regularly used to buy halal meat from the large Asda in Dewsbury, it was much cheaper and in my opinion of better quality than conventional meat, having said that I don't know if it was pre-stunned.

Ps: I can't find any (legitimate) sources claiming halal slaughterhouses enjoy charitable status, only the 'letsmakeupthemostridiculousstoriesaboutIslam' websites ;)

try here,

http://www.boycotthalal.com/call-on-the-government-to-investigate-halal-charities/

"We have evidence that Halal businesses have been undercutting our Farmers, Slaughterhouses, Cutting Plants and Farming Businesses, because they have been allowed to claim CHARITY STATUS and thereby get EXEMPTION FROM TAX & VAT on the running costs of their businesses. More shocking details of this and other types of BUSINESS IRREGULARITIES can be clearly seen on the Halal Monitoring Services website where the following questions were asked by brother Umar of Coventry from Jamia Darul Uloom Karachi…"

try here,

http://www.boycotthalal.com/call-on-the-government-to-investigate-halal-charities/

"We have evidence that Halal businesses have been undercutting our Farmers, Slaughterhouses, Cutting Plants and Farming Businesses, because they have been allowed to claim CHARITY STATUS and thereby get EXEMPTION FROM TAX & VAT on the running costs of their businesses. More shocking details of this and other types of BUSINESS IRREGULARITIES can be clearly seen on the Halal Monitoring Services website where the following questions were asked by brother Umar of Coventry from Jamia Darul Uloom Karachi…"

As I said, I can't find any legitimate sources, that's an obvious link to a hate site, retep.

As I said, I can't find any legitimate sources, that's an obvious link to a hate site, retep.

Yes they hate halal slaughter.

Yes they hate halal slaughter.

I suspect they hate the people who eat it more.