Private Parking Ticket Megathread (Part 2)

I have just received a parking ticket from Smart Parking, for parking in Kilner Way just under two hours on a non-match day (28 January). I am really annoyed at receiving this as I more than double checked that I was allowed to park up to three hours. Having had an appointment in Hillsborough, which I made because there was no home match (don't go to Hillsborough on a home match day), then as I drove up past the stadium at 2.30 p.m. there were definitely no signs of an event and parked correctly at Kilner Way shopping centre. The first shop I entered I asked the security guy at the doorway if I was allowed up to three hours and he verified that on a no-match day I was.

I visited three shops, time passed quickly as I take time in browsing, did intend to go for a coffee in the new Dunhelm store but after a 10-minute wait decided not to bother. Actually 90 minutes (the time if match is on) is by far not enough time to visit more than a couple of shops if you are not a regular visitor and an older person who has difficulty in walking.

I have addressed an appeal on the Smart Parking site for this and am awaiting a reply, but I should never have been sent the "fine" in the first place. This has thoroughly annoyed me as at the moment I am not at the home address and it has really upset my invalid brother who is now petrified that bailiffs are going to turn up - he watches a lot of TV!

Kilner way'.. parking information states 3 hours 'free' parking and 90 minutes for events days at the stadium..//...Do not fear the arrival of bailiffs.. they ''might'' turn up, if you are a habitual bad payer who is well known for that fact and who owes lots of money to lots of different people... they don't even enter into private parking charges. If this 'Smart parking' is a private company... that is what they are... private companies.. they have no more power to take money off you than your neighbour does. They may later refer your charge to a 'debt collection' agency... they too have no powers to make you pay. You need only to pay these ''charges'' if and when they start court proceedings... which is very very unlikely... it's a chance you take. // I know this doesn't help or answer your query.. so if it eases your mind.. then just pay up... because they don't listen to any excuses .. the automated demand letters will keep on coming.

Edited by oscar2157

I have just received a parking ticket from Smart Parking, for parking in Kilner Way just under two hours on a non-match day (28 January). I am really annoyed at receiving this as I more than double checked that I was allowed to park up to three hours. Having had an appointment in Hillsborough, which I made because there was no home match (don't go to Hillsborough on a home match day), then as I drove up past the stadium at 2.30 p.m. there were definitely no signs of an event and parked correctly at Kilner Way shopping centre. The first shop I entered I asked the security guy at the doorway if I was allowed up to three hours and he verified that on a no-match day I was.

I visited three shops, time passed quickly as I take time in browsing, did intend to go for a coffee in the new Dunhelm store but after a 10-minute wait decided not to bother. Actually 90 minutes (the time if match is on) is by far not enough time to visit more than a couple of shops if you are not a regular visitor and an older person who has difficulty in walking.

I have addressed an appeal on the Smart Parking site for this and am awaiting a reply, but I should never have been sent the "fine" in the first place. This has thoroughly annoyed me as at the moment I am not at the home address and it has really upset my invalid brother who is now petrified that bailiffs are going to turn up - he watches a lot of TV!

Try and chill out, Smart Parking aren't well known for court; http://www.bmpa.eu/companydata/Smart_Parking.html

COURT ACTIVITY

Tickets Issued

2015 Tickets Issued 258,045

2016 Tickets Issued 348110

2017 Court Hearings None

2015 Court Hearings 0

2016 Court Hearings 0

2017 Court Hearings 0

Further good advice on Pepipoo

And reasonable advice on This Facebook Group

See also MSE, Parking Prankster etc.

Dont worry then, the SWFC website indeed confirms no match was taking place on the 28th January and everything will be cancelled. Any judge would laugh it out of court on that basis in the very very very unlikely event it got that far.

No bailiff is going to turn up at the door, the only circumstance that would happen in this case would be if it went to court (very very unlikely) and they won (very very very very very unlikely) and then you didnt pay the judgement. Based on the fact there was no match on, none of the above will happen.

Looks like the confusion may be due to this:

http://www.swfc.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/bees-clash-rearranged-3514120.aspx

SWFC were meant to be playing at Hillsborough that day but it was postponed a few weeks previous, clearly this information never made it to the parking company computers. Send the above link to them. They have probably "fined" many others on the same basis.

Edited by Beligerence

I wonder if they'll still argue the point and claim that a predetermined day is still a "match day" even if its been cancelled.

I wonder if they'll still argue the point and claim that a predetermined day is still a "match day" even if its been cancelled.

They could try, Im sure that claim would get laughed out of any courtroom in the land though.

You don't really need to do anything UNLESS you are served with County Court proceedings.

If you ignore these, the claimant (plaintiff) will be awarded judgment in default of a defence.

After I have already paid a cancellation fee (£15) to get a PCN revoked, I'm still getting letters from the PCN asserting that I still owe them £100.

If I inform them, that, any further letters I get from them will incur a £50 charge for processing fee and stress; is that enforceable legally? Can I take them to small claims etc?

Why on earth did you pay them £15 to cancel? That sounds almost like blackmail.

I got a fine for being 15 mins late in car park at hillsborough next to pork shop.

Its now at £1499.99

just waiting(not) for them to take me to court.

Hahahaha <removed>

Edited by Groose
masked swearing

Why on earth did you pay them £15 to cancel? That sounds almost like blackmail.

Yeah, I know.

I payed the land owner, who contracts the parking company to manage their land. I have proof (receipt and email conversation) that the charge was cancelled. Presumably, I just do nothing now, and if they take me to court, let them have their say before I produce evidence that the charge was cancelled.

Other than that, I'd like to know if I can notify the parking company that the fine was cancelled, and that any further correspondence from them will incur a £50 processing fee per letter. Can I do that?

Yeah, I know.

I payed the land owner, who contracts the parking company to manage their land. I have proof (receipt and email conversation) that the charge was cancelled. Presumably, I just do nothing now, and if they take me to court, let them have their say before I produce evidence that the charge was cancelled.

Other than that, I'd like to know if I can notify the parking company that the fine was cancelled, and that any further correspondence from them will incur a £50 processing fee per letter. Can I do that?

Most people ignore PCN.

Personally I don't like the harassment and have now made a standard letter that makes them shut up.

In it I complain about the pain and suffering the PCN company causes me, complain about the aggressive attitude to get money from me while I don't even owe them one penny.

Then I tell them that any future communication will need to be kind friendly and loving without mention of debt collectors because their harassments cause me great suffering, any worse and I will contact my GP.

Then I tell them that their actions cause me stress, nightmares, depression and I will sue them for £300 in small claims court to compensate me for the pain and sufferings they cause me if they take this matter to court even when they lose their case.

Then I tell them that the amount I will claim for compensation shall increase if their harassment continues.

You can ignore PCN but one simple letter can make them go silent as well.