Private Parking Ticket Megathread (Part 2)

anyone who still pays theses invoices should regard it as a "stupidity tax", just do a bit of reading and appeal in the right manner and you wont pay a penny.

previous advice to ignore worked fine and dandy until the recent changes, now the game has changed as to how to go about it, but the end result is the same, you still dont have to pay anything.

And if you do it by appealing to POPLA - then it costs them money.

---------- Post added 29-04-2014 at 16:25 ----------

Maybe if people read the signs and didn't assume private land was a free-for-all then these 'cowboys' wouldn't exist?

They only exist because people abuse private land.

Not at all - you fail to understand the business plan of these companies.

They don't exist to manage parking (which in most places is fairly simple). I quote two examples from my own regular knowledge - Malin Bridge Park and Ride and Q park at the Midland station. Both private land and I doubt that either have ever had a single speculative invoice issued on their private land - because they manage it properly.

However if you hand over the parking to these so called parking management companies their business model is to "manage" the parking for free and keep the money they take from so-called fines. No so-called fines, no income.

No why would Parking Eye (for example) pay £1,000 per month for the (possible) right to issue these invoices at ONE retail centre though admittedly not in Sheffield?

I partly agree - some do bring it on themselves. However, I don't agree with them not giving five or ten minutes grace, that's just spiteful.

The point is, they rip you off. They send you a 'fine' (AKA invoice) for silly amounts like £80 for overstaying by 10/20mins in a free car park?! That's unlawful.

---------- Post added 29-04-2014 at 17:23 ----------

And if you do it by appealing to POPLA - then it costs them money.

---------- Post added 29-04-2014 at 16:25 ----------

Not at all - you fail to understand the business plan of these companies.

They don't exist to manage parking (which in most places is fairly simple). I quote two examples from my own regular knowledge - Malin Bridge Park and Ride and Q park at the Midland station. Both private land and I doubt that either have ever had a single speculative invoice issued on their private land - because they manage it properly.

However if you hand over the parking to these so called parking management companies their business model is to "manage" the parking for free and keep the money they take from so-called fines. No so-called fines, no income.

No why would Parking Eye (for example) pay £1,000 per month for the (possible) right to issue these invoices at ONE retail centre though admittedly not in Sheffield?

Correct! Why would ParkingEye go to the trouble and costs to set up their CCTV and signs, if their sole intention was to 'manage' the parking?!? They wouldn't make any money if they 'managed the parking. They know that people will overstay!

I have just received a PCN for parking at Iceland on Bradfield Road, Hillsborough. I parked there in the evening after store opening hours, assuming parking enforcement would only be in operation during store opening times.

Can anybody tell me if this is grounds for appeal?

Thank you.

I have just received a PCN for parking at Iceland on Bradfield Road, Hillsborough. I parked there in the evening after store opening hours, assuming parking enforcement would only be in operation during store opening times.

Thank you.

I've got a PCN for parking in the same place. We were at the Sette Colli restaurant across the road. I was in the process of appealing but I think I'm going to try and negotiate. ParkingEye have taken me to court. I downloaded the parking prankster guide and got some advice from kirkbylad, but to be honest, it's a minefield. If you haven't got hours to spare reading the guide and trying to make sense of what's what, I'd just pay the fine, or try to negotiate.

kirkbylad helped me for a while, but as soon as I mentioned that I wanted to negotiate out of court, he told me he didn't have time to help me with the negotiation process (don't know why, he was helpful up to that point!). I went on legal beagles forum and they were very helpful!!

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Thank you.

No it isn't. Go to http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4816822 and read and understand.

It isn't all that complicated from where you are at. Wait for the Notice to Keeper - NTK; appeal and ask for a POPLA reference.

Send in an appeal stating GPEOL (in the link I gave you above) and they will - they may not even bother with POPLA once you have submitted your defence.

Good luck and don't pay.

I've got a PCN for parking in the same place. We were at the Sette Colli restaurant across the road. I was in the process of appealing but I think I'm going to try and negotiate. ParkingEye have taken me to court. I downloaded the parking prankster guide and got some advice from kirkbylad, but to be honest, it's a minefield. If you haven't got hours to spare reading the guide and trying to make sense of what's what, I'd just pay the fine, or try to negotiate.

kirkbylad helped me for a while, but as soon as I mentioned that I wanted to negotiate out of court, he told me he didn't have time to help me with the negotiation process (don't know why, he was helpful up to that point!). I went on legal beagles forum and they were very helpful!!

Why would anyone want to negotiate with these scammers. ? It has been proven many many times if you follow the advice given by Kirkylad and walkley dave and go down the POPLA route , you wont have to pay anything.

Why would anyone want to negotiate with these scammers. ? It has been proven many many times if you follow the advice given by Kirkylad and walkley dave and go down the POPLA route , you wont have to pay anything.

Because I followed people's advice at the time (ignore all their letters), I was too far down the line for POPLA. They are taking me to court. I either attend the hearing, negotiate or pay the 'fine'.

I've got better things to do than spend a day in court, too busy!

Thank you.

No, do not try and use mitigation as your defence.

I recently won an appeal for a PCN there, (although from ParkingEye rather than HighView who have taken it over now)

As above, appeal on no GPEoL (also worth appealing on insufficient signage [questionable and ultimately irrelevant, it's GPEoL that wins at appeal]and lack of contract with landowner just so the letter has a bit more weight to it)

Click the link to see the thread on pepipoo re: my case. feel free to pilfer the appeal letters and edit as appropriate

Let me correct that for you,

I advised you what you needed to do, you stated from the off you were wanting to settle with no intention of going to a hearing.

You had the pranksters guide which told you what you needed to do in case of negotiation, and you were determined to not go to a hearing from the outset.

And yes I am far to busy to advise people on how to start their emails to Parking eye, that should be a fairly simple task.

I wonder if you have actually managed to get Parking eye to £50.00 or less..... anything more and you have been had

---------- Post added 29-04-2014 at 22:54 ----------

No it isn't. Go to http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4816822 and read and understand.

It isn't all that complicated from where you are at. Wait for the Notice to Keeper - NTK; appeal and ask for a POPLA reference.

Send in an appeal stating GPEOL (in the link I gave you above) and they will - they may not even bother with POPLA once you have submitted your defence.

Good luck and don't pay.

Be careful if this is Highview

They are now going down the contractual sum route with some new signs, so if this is a new site, it could be well be one of them

GPEOL wont wash with the contractual sum model

Edited by kirkbylad

Let me correct that for you,

I advised you what you needed to do, you stated from the off you were wanting to settle with no intention of going to a hearing.

You had the pranksters guide which told you what you needed to do in case of negotiation, and you were determined to not go to a hearing from the outset.

And yes I am far to busy to advise people on how to start their emails to Parking eye, that should be a fairly simple task.

I wonder if you have actually managed to get Parking eye to £50.00 or less..... anything more and you have been had.

I didn't say your advice was poor. I think your advice was useful and I thanked you for it. I never asked you how to word any emails to PE. I asked you about the negotiations process because it doesn't tell you where to start in the guide. You've just mentioned in this post that the email needs to go to PE, which is more than you said in your email to me?!