Private Parking Ticket Megathread (Part 2)

Hello. I'm looking for advice regarding a Parking Charge Notice I received back in May/June 2016. I'm still receiving letters trying to get payment from me and threatening county court action (two more letters arrived in the post today, though I'm dubious how credible these are as they've supposedly come from the parking company and the debt recovery, but in the same envelop and dated the same?). So far I have completely ignored all correspondence and haven't made any contact with them. But I am getting increasingly worried and stressed about all of this and so I'm appealing for your advice. Regards, Chris.

Unless its from a council carpark or PCN, Don't bother paying it.

What is your view based on? I must've had had 5 or 6 letters in total, each getting more and more threatening. I'm currently in the process of buying a house and don't want the problems that CCJs can cause. I also don't want to be lumbered with court costs ☹️

Not good advice, the law has changed or shall we say redefined by the High Court. There is a large thread on here about this or you could visit the PePiPoo website. Whatever, if you get a summons do not ignore it, otherwise you will be found against by default.

What is your view based on? I must've had had 5 or 6 letters in total, each getting more and more threatening. I'm currently in the process of buying a house and don't want the problems that CCJs can cause. I also don't want to be lumbered with court costs ☹️

If you're that worried then pay it. You've asked peoples opinion and when they give it you question it.

I believe that they have no ability or legal right to charge you a penalty fare- but are entitled to charge you the going rate for the parking (i.e. if you parked there for 3 hours, paid for 2, you owe them the cost of 1 hours parking).

Everything else is just an empty threat that cannot be carried out.

Check this for yourself, but I have had friends who have encountered the same thing as you, paid the excess they owed, and ignored all other letters.

Not good advice, the law has changed or shall we say redefined by the High Court. There is a large thread on here about this or you could visit the PePiPoo website. Whatever, if you get a summons do not ignore it, otherwise you will be found against by default.

I haven't had a summons through as yet but the latest letter today says that if I don't pay £160 within 16 days then they will "seek their client's instructions to commence legal proceedings" against me "in the form of a County Court Claim Form in the County Court".

It's getting me increasingly worried

---------- Post added 20-10-2017 at 15:11 ----------

I believe that they have no ability or legal right to charge you a penalty fare- but are entitled to charge you the going rate for the parking (i.e. if you parked there for 3 hours, paid for 2, you owe them the cost of 1 hours parking).

Everything else is just an empty threat that cannot be carried out.

Check this for yourself, but I have had friends who have encountered the same thing as you, paid the excess they owed, and ignored all other letters.

It was in a supermarket car park and not in a pay-and-display.

Not too sure on the full legalities on the PCN Charges at the moment, but on Wednesdays Can't Pay we'll take it away, the enforcement officers were collecting a similar parking debt which had escalated considerably in costs, they even made a point of saying how recent law changes now mean the private car parking companies are now chasing and recovering far more money than ever.

Not too sure on the full legalities on the PCN Charges at the moment, but on Wednesdays Can't Pay we'll take it away, the enforcement officers were collecting a similar parking debt which had escalated considerably in costs, they even made a point of saying how recent law changes now mean the private car parking companies are now chasing and recovering far more money than ever.

Hmm, that's worrying ? Especially as having received the Penalty Charge Notice last May/June (2016) I was advised by several people, including the parking officer giving me the PCN, to simply do nothing. Now it seems to have escalated to £160 with the threat of them seeking to go to the county court. Should I just pay it? The problem of course is that we can't easily get hold of £160 , though it may seem an insignificant amount to some.

If it's the programme I saw I believe it was several parking notices that was ignored not just one. That's why the fines and charges were so high.

I received one 7 years ago @ Centertainment and nothing happened - they didn't however ever write to me chasing it.

Yet a young lady in Scotland has just been forced into bankruptcy by the courts for unpaid PCN's of £24k - for parking outside the place she lived.

If it's the programme I saw I believe it was several parking notices that was ignored not just one. That's why the fines and charges were so high.

Its the court costs that costs and solicitors fees chasing so better pay in future or better watch were you park // Car park at aldi handsworth is full at 8 oclock and nobody in shop they leave there car and catch bus to town about time it was stopped:thumbsup: