Amused at Pure Gym, Millhouses

I was going to join a gym after having knee surgery to build the muscles up in my leg as it currently can't straighten fully with it's own muscles, but I were worried what people would think as I'd basically be going to use the exercise bikes on the lowest setting.

I emailed a gym to see if they'd be able to help me as I have no idea what equipment would be best to use etc but they emailed to say I'd be best just doing the exercises I'm currently doing at home till I've got more movement.

After reading this thread I'm glad I didn't go now

My gym pet hate: people using the weights I want with a 3 inch ROM. No one's impressed by a guy lifting weights far too heavy for him, bringing them about a mile from their chest and calling it a rep. Also, people loading a bar and getting a poor spotter to do bent over rows on their chest because they can't even lift half of what they've loaded.

why are you so focused on what the other person is doing? they have the weights. they paid their money. wait your turn. YOU are the reason people are intimidated to try the gym.

P.S. if you wear a baseball hat in the gym then you are a tool. everyone in there thinks you are a tool. no matter how heavy weight you lift or how fast you run, everyone is going to remember you as the tool that wears the hat. (and thats me being judgemental) :-)

Edited by fredsredhat

I was going to join a gym after having knee surgery to build the muscles up in my leg as it currently can't straighten fully with it's own muscles, but I were worried what people would think as I'd basically be going to use the exercise bikes on the lowest setting.

I emailed a gym to see if they'd be able to help me as I have no idea what equipment would be best to use etc but they emailed to say I'd be best just doing the exercises I'm currently doing at home till I've got more movement.

After reading this thread I'm glad I didn't go now

Hi

Book to go down and have an induction at one of the Fitness Unlimited places. I guarantee that you wouldn't be the oldest, youngest, thinnest, fattest, most disabled or least disabled person there, and I've never had a bad experience with people being judgemental about my attempts to workout.

Gyms need to lose the elitist reputation and the Fitness Unlimited gyms are working very hard to be universally accepting, from people who need carers to use the machines to those who are training for a marathon. The staff at Hillsborough are genuinely nice people who do their best to help everybody have equality of opportunity there :)

The laws of physics don't demand that the manufacturer programs a setting to allow people to continue at this pace though does it? Whilst it would need to reach (and pass) walking speed, it doesn't need to stay there. If treadmills were only for running then the bottom setting would be say 5 mph.

A case in point would be an airliner. These are obviously not designed to travel at walking speed and have pre-set "cruising" speeds built in. So, whilst the plane would need to travel past walking speed (the laws of physics demand it) to reach a pre-set speed, you can't pre-set a plane to travel at 1 mph.

I can probably, based on the law of averages run better than you. I am a well above average, though not an excellent, runner. Should I look down and sneer at the speeds or distance you run? Or, if you are better than me, can we band together and sneer at average runners. Relativity is important.

Recently I have taken to running at the steepest incline at a slow pace, instead of pounding along at a high speed for half hour. I find this much harder as it is training that my body hasn't adapted to and particularly taxes my legs and lower back. Would you judge me for "being slow"?

If I were hogging the running machine, using it for something other than running, I wouldn't be surprised if it made you annoyed.

You appear to have misunderstood though, I'm not looking down at the people or sneering at their speed.

It's more about the fact that they are not utilising the equipment fully and denying it's use to everyone else.

You can't run around the gym, too small, running into people, generally dangerous. You could however walk around it, so there's no need to use a machine if walking is all you can achieve.

And to be fair, if they're going to use it for 15 minutes (often the 'advised' time limit if the gym is busy) then fair enough. But I've seen people on the only working running machine, walking, when I've come into a gym, still on it, walking, an hour later when I've left (without having a run obviously).

So it's more about the hogging the machine than anything else.

---------- Post added 10-03-2014 at 09:11 ----------

Hi

Book to go down and have an induction at one of the Fitness Unlimited places. I guarantee that you wouldn't be the oldest, youngest, thinnest, fattest, most disabled or least disabled person there, and I've never had a bad experience with people being judgemental about my attempts to workout.

Gyms need to lose the elitist reputation and the Fitness Unlimited gyms are working very hard to be universally accepting, from people who need carers to use the machines to those who are training for a marathon. The staff at Hillsborough are genuinely nice people who do their best to help everybody have equality of opportunity there :)

It sounds like the gym that was emailed is just being careful.

If there's a physio involved, then they should be advising blue dragon what gym exercises they can do, not a non medically qualified gym inductor.

Folks exercising and using their mobile. Folks coming in, staying for 10 mins and then leaving.

Folks driving up and parking in the disabled bays, they aren't disabled i.e. no badge.

Folks just sat on equipment and not using it. Folks on the treadmill walking at snails pace, what's the point !

I enjoy my session, plenty of effort, pulse rate up and a smile at what's going on about me.

Folks spying on other users when they should have their heads down, concentrating on their own performance ;)

With regards the lazy people in swimmin pools, this is a good way to deal with it (provided you can do the front crawl)

1) when theres people chatting at the end of the pool, do one of those rolling turns, you can either splash some water in their faces

or

Instead off pushing off the wall with your feet, push away from the side (after doing the roll) and push away on the stomachs of the people chatting.

2) another option is to as you swim past the slow person, put your hand on the top of their head and shove them under the water. As long as you say sorry it looks like an accident

This made me smile as I used to work as a professional lifeguard many years ago and saw this quite often. I never had any sympathy for people who swam in the inappropriate lane or the women who swan so far out of the water with their heads up only for some miffed off swimmer accidentally covering them in water as they swim past, 2 or 3 times of that and they go to the slow lane and complain bitterly to the lifeguard. Shoving the head under the water is a bit more serious as are the implications of such a move. If its witnessed its actual bodily harm, still is to this day! The pushing away on the stomachs is naughty too, splash hard yes, no touching. Imagine your career/occupation just for a bit of careless fun!!!

That said I was a competitive swimmer so I used to plough up and down and tumble turn making an extra hard splash at each end if the gutter huggers were out in force - the ones who cling onto the gutter and go for the social aspect rather than actually doing exercise. The same went for people swimming in the wrong lane, no sympathy. Nowadays due to disability and injuries I'm the slow one however I never swim in the fast lane anymore as it would be inappropriate.

Incidentally you get a far better splash if you allow your elbow to strike the water first, it creates a mini Tsunami however you need to be close and almost in line to deliver the best effect! The effects are priceless!:hihi: Perfecting the skill takes time however its worth it.....

I go to the gym and drive around the car park for 10 minutes looking for a space closer to the entrance. ;)

I also do V Cycle classes, there is a girl/woman who to her credit doesn't mind dripping in sweat, but she has a fake tan and the tide mark slowly runs down her arm!

The other day I saw a girl on the cables doing a one arm row, in the other hand she had her mobile and was on facebook!!!!!!!!!!!!! :loopy:

---------- Post added 10-03-2014 at 20:23 ----------

4) Girls who wear inappropriate clothing to the gym. I was shoulder pressing about a week ago when an attractive girl came into view in my mirror. Her clothes were so tight that I could see nipple and vagina. Obviously, this put me off and I almost dropped a dumbbell.

I must be going to the wrong gym!:hihi:

Actually after reading through all the comments I realise I am going to the right gym....no gym fascists that I have noticed.

One thing that does get my goat are guys with young children who change their nappies on the benches when there is a baby changing facility room there.

Edited by 56cheffy

why are you so focused on what the other person is doing? they have the weights. they paid their money. wait your turn. YOU are the reason people are intimidated to try the gym.

Perhaps some of us don't want to watch our fellow man put himself at the risk of sustaining a heavy injury by being a muppet? Or even teaching other less experienced gym users poor form and technique through example?

A mate of mine went to Pure gym in Millhouses from what I heard it sounds pathetic full of teenage boys posing in the mirrors thinking that they are the next Schwarzenegger and people walking round like they own the place. For people that want to train without all of that you should go to one of the smaller gyms there are lots of little gyms in Sheffield Ive been to lloydies and it's great.

P.S. if you wear a baseball hat in the gym then you are a tool. everyone in there thinks you are a tool. no matter how heavy weight you lift or how fast you run, everyone is going to remember you as the tool that wears the hat. (and thats me being judgemental) :-)

I don't want to wait to use a set of dumbells currently being used by an emaciated clown who can't even do a single full rep with them. Lower the weight and stop being inconsiderate.

Folks spying on other users when they should have their heads down, concentrating on their own performance ;)

You do have to rest between sets you know.

I don't run, I walk (6.5) on the highest setting on the treadmill for 20 mins.

It's up to the individual what they do, as previous posters have pointed out. Presumably they've paid their monthly subscription.

Having said that, there are quite a few treadmills in my gym, and I only go during the day. I choose not to go in the evening as it's a lot busier & I hate waiting to go on equipment.

With regards to using mobile phones, they have special iPhone outlets to plug your phone into. I don't use them but I do use my phone to access my toones.

I am occasionally on stand by for my job too, so need to be contactable...but if it rings, only I can hear it (before beating a hasty retreat to the nearest exit!)

I've frequented quite a few gyms & my dislikes are...

.People who leave dirty tissues on equipment/litter in the changing room.

.Folk who hog the equipment, chatting etc...especially when there is a limited amount of certain equipment.

.Children using the equipment (go outside & play)! Not so much in the UK I have to say, but I do object when I have to wait for a treadmill that a 12 year old is messing around on!

I can't say it annoys me, it's just a general observation. But there are quite a few people in my gym who are serial chatter boxes, (I even have names for them), chatting to everyone, & anyone they happen to be next to...nothing wrong with that maybe (as long as they're not hogging the equipment of course)!

Now I go to the gym to exercise, I don't know or speak to anyone (other than a polite 'hello' of course), and that's the way I like it. It's not that I'm an ignorant antisocial so & so (to the contrary). It's just that, as time as shown, the more people I know the less I will exercise, (although I've never fitted into the 'hogging the equipment' category!)

I always think these folk must come in for the social aspect, as they're not really utilising the equipment as such. I've discovered the key is not to make eye contact with them, as nice as they may be. The less people I know, the quicker I've done, the quicker I'm gone!

By the time I left my old gym, I knew quite a lot of the folk there, I used to have to time when I'd go in! I've been at my gym for 3 years now...& so far, so good.

I can go in, keep my head down, do my stuff & leave!