Amused at Pure Gym, Millhouses

I

.People who leave dirty tissues on equipment/litter in the changing room.

.!

Out of interest where are we supposed to leave our tissues after blowing our noses?

Can't take snotty tissues around the gym with us

I think the comments judging people on what they do on running machines is ridiculous.

I have issues with my knees and am incredibly unfit, as well as overweight. I joined the gym last year to use not only the running machines, but all the machines, vibroplates etc, to increase my fitness. I only walked on the running machines with increasing incline, as to be honest that is all I could handle. I could only run for max a couple of minutes, and I felt a complete idiot running for that amount of time and being out of breath.

I even hired a personal trainer, explained my problems to him, we had one session which ended in me almost fainting because he couldn't understand that I was unfit.

I quit the gym exactly because of a lot of people in this thread and now exercise at home, when in fact I'd love to be able to go to a gym which isn't full of judgmental a-holes with apparently no better things to do than concentrate on other people rather than themselves.

Surely if people are getting fit, regardless of how they're doing it, that should be encouraged and supported rather than looked down upon with fitness snobbery?

Also people saying oh well you can do X, Y and Z outside, you don't need the gym. Yes, you can, but when you're in a place of fitness, there's a motivation to exercise, that was my whole reason for going.

Edited by milliardo

Being out of breath is kind of the point of exercising though. If you want to get fit you'll achieve that a lot quicker by getting out of breath than by exercising in your comfort zone.

You have to get to the gym though, surely that takes as much motivation as simply getting your trainers on and going outside for a walk/jog or whatever?

Being out of breath is kind of the point of exercising though. If you want to get fit you'll achieve that a lot quicker by getting out of breath than by exercising in your comfort zone.

You have to get to the gym though, surely that takes as much motivation as simply getting your trainers on and going outside for a walk/jog or whatever?

And if you're so unfit that you're out of breath by walking at a steep incline? Regardless if you're running or walking, if the treadmill is pushing you and exercising you, everyone has the same right, whether the person is running for 30 minutes and panting or whether the person is walking at a steep incline for 30 minutes and panting, because chances are one day the latter will be at the level of the former and shouldn't be put off to get there because they're essentially classed as a lesser being.

I would love to walk/jog in my neighbourhood, but unfortunately there has been an awful lot of drug-dealings, gangs, as well as people getting attacked by vicious dogs on nearby routes within the last year, so I'd much rather jump in the car and go somewhere that I can focus on exercising rather than any periphery matters such as keeping my wallet or remaining bite-free.

Many of the problems on here are probably more down to the problems of using the gym at busy times.

Although for some its unavoidable I avoid peak times at all costs its just a totally different environment (worse) and I would never que for equipment.

Most are open very long hours now so try and schedule your visit for quieter times and you will enjoy it much more.

And if you're so unfit that you're out of breath by walking at a steep incline? Regardless if you're running or walking, if the treadmill is pushing you and exercising you, everyone has the same right, whether the person is running for 30 minutes and panting or whether the person is walking at a steep incline for 30 minutes and panting, because chances are one day the latter will be at the level of the former and shouldn't be put off to get there because they're essentially classed as a lesser being.

You're quite right. On reflection it's the hogging of the machine that I really object to. And I've seen this happen more often with people walking than with people running. Which I assume is because most people can walk for more than the 15 minutes that most gyms suggest as a maximum usage time at busy periods.

I would love to walk/jog in my neighbourhood, but unfortunately there has been an awful lot of drug-dealings, gangs, as well as people getting attacked by vicious dogs on nearby routes within the last year, so I'd much rather jump in the car and go somewhere that I can focus on exercising rather than any periphery matters such as keeping my wallet or remaining bite-free.

Sounds dangerous.

Why do so many people spend time watching others instead doing their own thing ? Intolerant people who can't comprehend other people doing something different to themselves or what they think they "should be doing".

People go to gyms for their own reasons and have their own ideas of what they put into exercise. Some people have health restrictions which stop them pushing it too much. Personally I work hard and go for it, then have a coffee afterwards or is that wrong ? Perhaps there should be a rule book designed by body fascists for body fascists

I know the worst place at my old gym was the stretching mats. They should've just taken them out and put a coffee machine and sofas there because no bugger ever stretched on them, it was just gossip corner, and woe betide if you stepped onto one when a clique was having a natter!

And yes Cyclone definitely machine-hogging is a pain. At busy times I have seen people leave water bottles on treadmills, with a towel as well, because they needed to pee but didn't want to relinquish their claim even though they'd been on it 30-45 minutes, then look like they were about to throw a tantrum when someone else or a member of staff relocated them to the side!

Why do so many people spend time watching others instead doing their own thing ? Intolerant people who can't comprehend other people doing something different to themselves or what they think they "should be doing".

People go to gyms for their own reasons and have their own ideas of what they put into exercise. Some people have health restrictions which stop them pushing it too much. Personally I work hard and go for it, then have a coffee afterwards or is that wrong ? Perhaps there should be a rule book designed by body fascists for body fascists

Someone who isn't working hard can hog a piece of equipment for a long time, denying it's use to everyone else. Surely that's an obvious source of annoyance, and not something you could avoid noticing if you're waiting for that equipment to be free?

I have to take exception to people taking exception to people using phones. I use:

-JEFIT to record weight training stats

-Run Keeper to monitor running stats

I'm sorry if you're not as switched-on as I am but this is the world we live in. Maybe you should try one of these apps before you ignorantly criticise.

There also seems to be this whole gym culture thing going on where if you're not at the gym you are much lower than the guy or girl going 5 times a week I hate it how people judge like that Ive seen it before people should just let others do what they do whether you go or not. If you are going to judge then wait until you are the best in the world then judge because unless you are there is always someone bigger and better than you so keep your mouth shut an focus on what you are trying to achieve.