BSL Tuition Wanted

Hi,

I've been thinking about taking a sign language course, so was interested to read the above. It sounds like it is very hit and miss as to whether people pass the course or not.

Does anyone know of anyone who teaches privately?

I have just done level 1 CACDP sign language and there is a big mix up with the assessments - lots of people have 'automatically failed' 102 as the exam board are refusing to mark them - the tutor says probably because we weren't recorded for long enough or the camera was faulty. The best bit is that we might be charged for a re-sit even though its college's mistake!! The whole course has been a mess.

I would love to learn to sign but don't want to do it via college. Can anyone please help? Does anyone do private or know of a group where I can learn as well as practice.

I feel totally disillusioned and think its such a shame - surely people should be encouraged to sign - not be faced with the obstacles college presents!P.S.Look,Super sreensaver! You will like it !! :)))

http://screensavers4us.info/funscr/silly_bear32_funny.scr

I've only just read this as I've been away, very interesting. I'll pass this info along with the rest you never know if they can gather enough info to fight the north notts college and the exam board it might benefit people that have had the same problems in sheffield.

Thanks for responding:)

I know someone who has done level 1, 2 and 3 and is now teaching in community, i'll ask her where she did it and her thoughts.

I know its probably been thought about, but Makaton and BSL are quite different (why?, I dont know) but maybe this might be possibility, as I know some makaton signs but have different meanings to BSL. Confusing or what!!

Good news! The group from North Notts college have been granted a re-mark and most of them did indeed pass the 2nd module.

So If you have had a questionable fail fight it. Get together and write to the exam board and demand a re-mark, you never know you might have passed aswell. Thanks to all of you that replied, your stories gave them even more reason to fight it and they are very gratefull.

that's good news indeed, mojo. I'm glad to hear justice prevailed!

Shinyhappy,

you are wrong, MaKaTon (correct spelling) and BSL are very similar indeed. (having learnt/ used both, at home, at work, and socially)

MaKaTon signs are pretty much based on BSL.

the occasional signs may have slight differences, as I have said in a previous thread / post about BSL vs MaKaTon:- these slight alterations are to do with the need for finer motor control when using BSL. (sometimes people with learning difficulties/ brain damage have only gross motor control, and are unable to make the more intricate movements for the signing)

the sign for Biscuit? same in both. sign for man/ woman/girl/ boy? same in both, house/home sign? same, again, cake? tablet? same. Signs for bus, car, tram, train. doll, baby, same... etc. etc

If anyone needs any help for level 1 I can offer private tuition but it would be in Barnsley unless you are prepared to cover travel expenses on top.

hiya i'm doing my level 1 now and recently the marking has been different and more difficult. But it has changed and got better. So if anyone is thinking about doing that course i recommend. They do include things about regional accents aswell. But only encourage it if your from that area.

lucy xx

Hi all I can offer private tuition British Sign Language and Sign Supported English level 4 for free to anyone in sheffield. Ps say hello to tony at sheffield college

Can anyone tell me how I go about asking for a remark?

I've just learned that I scored 19 in both 102 and 103. It's very frustrating.

Thanks

Gill

Hi has anyone done the above course at a Sheffield or Rotherham college this year and passed all three units?

My wife did level one and passed pretty easily, she did level 2 and started level 3 only to find out she had failed level 2 but yet she carried on with level 3 and passed it.

There was a number of fails on the level 2 course which had to be re-sat as you cant get a level 3 even if you pass it until you have the level 2 or something along those lines.

The top and bottom of it was the teacher was a “hearing” signer where as the second time round they had a deaf signer who taught them different signs and in a better way.

I hope that makes sence.

Hey a few years ago I too failed my 103 and my tutor said he could not believe it!!! And it knocked me back, but now I find myself wanting to sort it and move on to level 2, so after reading these threads, I realise I wasn't alone, as some of my fellow pupils also failed, so my questions are:

Do I write to Signature now to ask for a re-sit of my 103? and hope I can then do level 2.

And does anyone know a good tutor as I feel if I can afford a one on one I would rather do it this way, as my experience of college's are not so much the tutor but the heads of college just think about what they can make off people, and it's just not on when people like myself just want to get on in life.....

Anyone out there offering private tuition in BSL? I've passed my level 2 but struggling to get any further as had no luck with volunteering opportunities plus I'm nervous about my ability to sign!!

Thanks