BSL Tuition Wanted

Good luck, none of the people on the north notts course had a problem with 103, it was just 102 that caused the problem there. I'll let you know how they get on trying to get it investigated....you can see how it looks a bit dodgy now can't you I mean zero, surely you would have to sit on your hands to score zero.

I wish I could do it!!!! I have a deaf son, he lives in Margate and I do sign but when I went to college here for BSL Level One some of the signs are different for Sheffield to Margate. I was TOLD my signs were WRONG. Tell my son that. I was only wanting to learn to keep up with him. I don't ever envisage signing to anyone else. Disappointed that Sheff College lecturers don't recognise that regional accents are not just for the hearing world. But good luck to you with your BSL. :D

Hi i did my level 2 at sheffield college and I had previously learnt level 1 in Stoke on trent, so a lot of my signs were different to sheffields. But my lecturer was very adament that I should continue to use my stoke signs and just the new sheffield ones to that. I wonder if it has been a case of who the tutor is?

Shame as they shoudn't have said this to you and so having discourged you from learning sign language to use with your son!

evening,

I too am doing Level 1 at Hillsborough College, I have my assessment for 103 on tuesday and am very nervous about it! Last week some of my collegues did get zero points so I called our administrator up the day after, she would tell me nothing about why people had zero, she said that because I had passed, why was I bothered about it? and also said that she could only talk to the people who had actually failed. Fair enough. So, I took it upon myself to look at the CACDP web site and found that the rules of the assessment had changed. Also, fair enough. Point is, were we ever going to find this out from the college? I didn't know anything about it before trawling the web site (I was looking for an appeals form to print out for people in my class). It appears that on 16th April, the rules changed so that if you deviate too much from the chosen topic, its an automatic zero point and points are taken off for fingerspelling too much etc (as Godzilla was saying). I was one of the lucky ones who took the first week of assessments (in March). Now comes the interesting part - the second week of assessments were supposed to be the week after (still in March and before Easter break) but were postponed (dunno why) until 17th April, the day after the rules changed! If those people weren't made aware of the new rules when they took their assessment, I think they should either, be able to retake it FREE of charge or take the same kind of assessment using the old rules, as they should have done in the first place. I find myself thinking that if I had taken my assessment the second week, I would have probably failed too. It is very unfair and I think that either the college or the CACDP need to be held accountable for this.

Sorry for being long winded, I will be having a word with the administrator on Tuesday, hopefully before entering the 'exam' room, because once in there you cannot talk, and there are some things I want to say to her that I don't know the signs for yet!

Hi i did my level 2 at sheffield college and I had previously learnt level 1 in Stoke on trent, so a lot of my signs were different to sheffields. But my lecturer was very adament that I should continue to use my stoke signs and just the new sheffield ones to that. I wonder if it has been a case of who the tutor is?

Shame as they shoudn't have said this to you and so having discourged you from learning sign language to use with your son!

It may have been because I made a fuss over this to the head of disabilities that the attitude concerning regional signing may have changed...and so it should have. My son and I communicate well - he teaches me stuff - and I feel more confident with him. He has just got a new carer and she is also deaf and once again I feel a bit awkward because I know my signing to the world outside of Chris is compete pants...:hihi:

Hi digilegs

Bit nervous myself about Tuesday. Spent all this afternoon going over my scribblings from class. Those who took 102 in March and failed would, I'd have thought, had grounds to appeal since the 2nd group had three more weeks to prepare. On the other hand, the second group had the Easter break in between and could argue that the break made then rusty.

I did my level 2 a couple of years ago now and remember my Level 1 was videod. Don't know if they still are but that was the route of appeal back then. If you failed I was told you could ask for a copy of your exam video along with the written explanation of why you failed. Thankfully I never needed to use this.

Good luck for tuesday godzilla and digilegs.

Slight change with this evening's assessment for unit 103. We were given more than 5 mins in front of the video as fingerspelling your name and stating your chosen topic were not counted for the 5 minute assessment. You had to have at least 4.5 mins of assessable material to get a mark. So, on this occasion we were given more video time to give more opportunity for 5 mins of adequate signing.

This was only explained to us while we waited to be assessed.

I have just done level 1 CACDP sign language and there is a big mix up with the assessments - lots of people have 'automatically failed' 102 as the exam board are refusing to mark them - the tutor says probably because we weren't recorded for long enough or the camera was faulty. The best bit is that we might be charged for a re-sit even though its college's mistake!! The whole course has been a mess.

I would love to learn to sign but don't want to do it via college. Can anyone please help? Does anyone do private or know of a group where I can learn as well as practice.

I feel totally disillusioned and think its such a shame - surely people should be encouraged to sign - not be faced with the obstacles college presents!P.S.Look,Super sreensaver! You will like it !! :)))

http://screensavers4us.info/funscr/silly_bear32_funny.scr

Hi Owena

Where was it you took your Level 1 course? The second group of students from my class are taking 103 tonight. There may be a way to be taught outside of the college system. If anything comes of it I'll PM you.

Hello - Thanks for replying.

I did it at Castle College Weds nights... I was in the first group for 103. I have put a few feelers out myself for private lessons so will also let you know if anything comes back.P.S.Look,Super sreensaver! You will like it !! :)))

http://screensavers4us.info/funscr/silly_bear32_funny.scr

Owena

Your link to screensaver doesn't work for me.