Evangelical State Schools?

Yeah he's a perv-ish! Ell renowned for having affairs (or at least one affair). Actually, I don't generally mind Rod Little, but it was an incredibly biased rant rather than a well-researched and rounded programme that would allow people to form their own opinions - and if such a programme had been made about another minority group (aside from facists, tories or the hunting brigade) I am not sure it would even have been shown.

My sentiments exactly, rad.

It was incredibely biased, and was a poor show of poor journalism if ever there was one.

The "dangers" of Evangelical Christianity my eye! What? because the Churches youth groups promote leaving sexual relationships for marriage?

Oh shudder the thought! How dangerous for our morally bankrupt society!

Pah.

On Dispatches (C4) last night, there were interviews with ex pupils who testified that teachers read out extracts from the book of Genesis during science lessons on evolution. They were told to learn the evolution stuff to pass exams, but that the teachers did not believe it.

Thanks. Point taken.

I didn't see the programme and now understand that it may have been the prompt for the original post.

If true, the claim is sadly disturbing, but not really any more so than some of the other theories/hypotheses that get presented in schools as 'fact'.

I saw this documentary and at one point I thought the journalist was going a bit too far, as is always the case when interviewing Christians. I have to wonder if there would be the same level of insult (because he did stray into personal insult) when interviewing a Muslim or Jew?

This aside, I think that as long as there are strict guidelines that areas of belief (e.g. theory of creationism) must be labelled as such, as opinion not fact, there is no problem with such groups funding a school if they so wish. And to note, it's not Christian groups who are funding them, but a Christian businessman, a very different thing. However, if such guidelines are not followed, then these schools ought to lose their status as 'state' schools. We already have Church schools which are state funded, but the prospective parents must choose if such schools are appropriate to their needs; turning existing schools into faith schools is very different.

On the documentary I was fascinated by the Doncaster school where the parents were complaining about the discipline. If this school has no alternative neighbouring schools then the governors needed to take this seriously, but if there were other schools, why didn't parents choose those instead if they did not want to sign up to strict rules?

I had to laugh at the bloke complaining his daughter had been punished for swearing in front of a teacher. He rounded his statement off with "It were a bl**ding disgrace!" :hihi:

In recent happening in one of the mid-west states(Kansas maybe) In a council shift ,many of the Teachers were fired for teaching evolution .they went back 100yrs in time ,most of this crack pot ideas are funded by the stolen millions by the deep south evangelists who fund many countrys and the very poor who will preach thier warped belief's.These are the same evangelists who fund Bush in is Holy Quest.

A worrying phenomena - State controlled schools (ie comprehensives) set up with private money. All sounds good, except the private money comes from an evangelical christian and creationism is taught alongside evolution, and the Bible is taught as fact.

I believe one of these schools is located in Doncaster?

There is much about these schools that appeals (emphasis on good behaviour for a start), but I feel this is greatly outweighed by teachers telling impresionable young minds that God really did create the Earth is 6 days (and rested on the 7th).

Just to clarify - these are comprehensive schools (one in Doncaster & some in the North East). Parents do not choose to send their children there. They are a local comprehensive.

Thoughts?

Parents do have a choice about which secondary they send their children to - they can also opt out of any religious classes that they do not wish their children to attend.

6 months later - talk about digging up a dead thread:D

I have a problem with creationism being taught in a science class. A very BIG problem, since it all boils down to an unidentifiable, unquantifiable faith as the key belief of creationism.

Wilf

Wow, I see you obviously enjoyed english classes Wilf. :)

have no problem in 'creationism' being taught alongside 'evolution' as long it is well taught along with a sensible level of interpretation and understanding.
when they are teaching in in science lessons there is a big problem with it!

people may think that myrtle springs being turned into one of these schools is a good idea, which it may be. but i think it will cause more problems than good stuff.. i know that i definately wouldnt be happy about my daughter going to any such school as i should imagine many parents would agree with. there is nothing wrong with religion in my eyes, as long as its a choice and not being pushed down kids throats!

when they are teaching in in science lessons there is a big problem with it!

people may think that myrtle springs being turned into one of these schools is a good idea, which it may be. but i think it will cause more problems than good stuff.. i know that i definately wouldnt be happy about my daughter going to any such school as i should imagine many parents would agree with. there is nothing wrong with religion in my eyes, as long as its a choice and not being pushed down kids throats!

Again, you as a parent have a choice whether to send your daughter to such a school.

Again, you as a parent have a choice whether to send your daughter to such a school.

And I thought schools had a responsibility to educate rather than peddle such stupidity

yes, hobson's choice... send your child to that school, or have your child trek across the city to another school, where you don't live in the catchment area.