I want to give business to Broomhill Shops..

Exactly, the resident only areas are empty during normal shopping hours. This is a money making scheme pure and simple, otherwise it would be residents only from 5.00pm -9.00am. weekdays and all weekend.

The OP is what I said from the day the shop-top carpark became chargable.

It is terrible trying to find parking now, and unless you have the time to keep circling

until you find one it's nigh on impossible.

For years I used that carpark and despite people saying it was abused by commuters, I never failed to get a space. Sorry Broomhill traders but my money goes elsewhere, if you want to change things get writing to your landlord and tell him to return the carpark to an aid to business not a detriment.

The problem is though the shopping hours is also the busy parking hours for the hospital and the university.

Exactly, the resident only areas are empty during normal shopping hours. This is a money making scheme pure and simple, otherwise it would be residents only from 5.00pm -9.00am. weekdays and all weekend.

The OP is what I said from the day the shop-top carpark became chargable.

It is terrible trying to find parking now, and unless you have the time to keep circling

until you find one it's nigh on impossible.

For years I used that carpark and despite people saying it was abused by commuters, I never failed to get a space. Sorry Broomhill traders but my money goes elsewhere, if you want to change things get writing to your landlord and tell him to return the carpark to an aid to business not a detriment.

There are always pay spaces available on Westbourne and Ashdell Roads. No need to circle constantly.

There are quite a few free parking spaces in Broomhill too, but they are usually taken all day. Make of that what you will.

The landlord is a r**** b****** and just does not care if his tenants go bankrupt. Since the rooftop car park became pay and display he has persecuted his customers.

I read in the Sheffield Telegraph that many Broomhill shopkeepers are refunding customer's (council) parking fees.

Broomhill shopkeepers need all the help they can get. It is such a shame as it used to be a lovely shopping centre.

Broomhill shopkeepers and residents voted it in so they deserve everything they get - their once vibrant shopping centre is now decorated with lots of empty shops (with more coming soon no doubt). There are plenty of spaces on roads like Lawson Road and Sale Hill that now just sit there empty all day, and all the houses have drives so the residents don't desperately need to have a parking scheme however many people park there. And, yes, I'm another one who refuses to shop there since they brought the parking scheme in. So stick to your guns cia98jld, and remember: if you have to pay, stay away! Hitting them in their pocket is the only way to get them to listen.

Broomhill shopkeepers and residents voted it in.

I'm a resident and recall no such vote - unless only residents on some streets got to vote?

This post is utter tosh. 50p to park is a bargain, it can be refunded in some shops and guarantees parking. Prior to this scheme there were no spaces to park and it left no choice but to use the expensive and unsafe place above Spar.

Inoften walk to Broomhill on a nice day. I rarely take a bus at £3 return per person as parking with two people is so cost effective.

Other shopping areas in Sheffield have permits and charges, not just Broomhill. The charges compare favourably to other areas of the country, so Broomhill is no exception.

If you fancy some shopping and free parking, with barely a space, please spend your pennies in a Crookes or Walkley.

Three minutes walk from Broomhill is free parking.

but Broomhill is more reasonably priced than some other areas - including town, Ecclesall Rd, parts of Hillsborough, London Road etc.

No it isn't.

The pay and display rate is 50p per hour in ALL of the permit zones, not just Broomhill.

The only one of those you list which is dearer is the city centre, as you would expect.

---------- Post added 04-03-2014 at 22:54 ----------

To the OP - complain to the council and ask them to implement a scheme so that when you get your ticket out of the machine, you also get a voucher to spend in the shops equal to the cost of your parking. Simple scheme, everyone happy - you can park, the shops get your custom.

Erm, that is already in place in Broomhill.

This post is utter tosh. 50p to park is a bargain, it can be refunded in some shops and guarantees parking. Prior to this scheme there were no spaces to park and it left no choice but to use the expensive and unsafe place above Spar.

Inoften walk to Broomhill on a nice day. I rarely take a bus at £3 return per person as parking with two people is so cost effective.

Other shopping areas in Sheffield have permits and charges, not just Broomhill. The charges compare favourably to other areas of the country, so Broomhill is no exception.

If you fancy some shopping and free parking, with barely a space, please spend your pennies in a Crookes or Walkley.

At last, a voice of reason.

I live in central Broomhill. One side of my road is resident parking, the other is pay parking. You'd be hard pushed to tell which is which in the daytime, both get used well. The pay parking turns over a bit more than the resident's bays.

At the end of my road, there is room for four cars, unrestricted parking. All four spots are always parked up when I leave for work at 7:30 am. The same cars are still there at 5:30 when I get home. The same cars, day after day.

Before the permit scheme, our whole road was parked up from 7am to 6pm every day. Visitor parking for Broomhilll is much easier now. The cost is nominal. There are a few whingers who don't want to pay for facilities that they use. But most people that I know acknowledge that the scheme is a great success for residents and local business.

Edited by SpikeMac

...or use one of the buses that pass through Broomhill every 4 minutes.

In what way exactly is 50p to park a 'bargain'? What are you getting for 50p - the ability to stop your car and get out, which costs nobody anything at all (as shown by the fact that in many places you can still do it for free). And yes, I do still go to shop in Crookes and funnily enough I never have any trouble finding a space when I do - in just the same way that I never had any trouble finding a space in Broomhill either on Lawson Road, Sale Hill, or up past the library. Until the council brought their parking tax in. So now I won't shop there on principle - like I say, if the residents and shopkeepers don't want me there, I'll go somewhere else.

---------- Post added 05-03-2014 at 06:18 ----------

At the end of my road, there is room for four cars, unrestricted parking. All four spots are always parked up when I leave for work at 7:30 am. The same cars are still there at 5:30 when I get home. The same cars, day after day.

Bet you they belong to residents who won't pay for a second permit then.

Bet you they belong to residents who won't pay for a second permit then.

They are hospital workers. The area was full of them before the permit scheme.

Edited by SpikeMac

The historic problem with Broomhill was that the free parking was used by people who weren't shoppers, they were commuters working at the hospitals/university.

What BF said is quite correct. The free spots would be filled very early on. It is because one has to pay that the OP can find a place at all...