Life at Cambridge motor co, Division st 1970's

Coolhandsax Hi, I didn't know about the top trumps deal. in a rash moment ordered a consignment of these with full options,huge alloy wheels and tyres befitting a tractor. The demo was fitted with a 5.7 litre engine with hot set up, geared to about 100mph, which it would do in a little under a 1/4 of a mile, not bad for a vehicle of that size. We had a mixed on, off road demo run.Prospective customers would sit on the right hand side grinning as this thing roared up to the ton. The off road part of the run had what on approach, almost appeared to be a vertical gradient.People would go stiff as a board shoulder braced against the head rest,body ram rod straight,feet fixeded on the bulk head,"O God were not going up there are we ".

Hi David

Not the fully spec'd model you had but I found this Top Trumps card on E-Bay http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Chevrolet-Blazer-Pick-Up-Dies-Off-Road-Vehicle-Top-Trumps-Card-BK-/290943155021

Coolhandsax Hi, I didn't know about the top trumps deal. in a rash moment ordered a consignment of these with full options,huge alloy wheels and tyres befitting a tractor. The demo was fitted with a 5.7 litre engine with hot set up, geared to about 100mph, which it would do in a little under a 1/4 of a mile, not bad for a vehicle of that size. We had a mixed on, off road demo run.Prospective customers would sit on the right hand side grinning as this thing roared up to the ton. The off road part of the run had what on approach, almost appeared to be a vertical gradient.People would go stiff as a board shoulder braced against the head rest,body ram rod straight,feet fixeded on the bulk head,"O God were not going up there are we ".

---------- Post added 10-03-2014 at 19:26 ----------

Bullerboy hi, i do not know where where Walter or Lez are now , but I do remember them .Also Frank Keach Walters sales manager.I arranged to buy a car off Frank when I was till on the workshop floor at Abbeydale rd body shop.I fetched a bank draft in my lunch break and could hardly contain my self for the rest of the afternoon.I arrived at Europa and my car was still in the show room.I had been welding on an FX4 taxi ,in for body repairs and although I had been wearing overalls my jeans had the customery burns from hot metal splatter.My face was clean in the middle but still blackened around the edges. I sat down in my new car beaming from ear to ear when a sales man ran up and demanded that I get out as I was filthy, his whole manner was very offensive but he tought me a truely valuable lesson, "never judge a book by its cover,ever".This earnt us a lot of money at division st where most of our customers could not be taken at face value.Pop stars ,truckers ,engineers ,tower crane drivers,pipe line hands,in work cloths,all could and did buy very expensive cars,so if that sales man at Europa happens to see this post ,to you many thanks!

Walter and Les are dead now but walts wife ,the first one who ran the business with him is still alive i speak to her often on the phone.John Keach ah! well thats another story.I sold Walt a big BMW bike that he begged me for and had to go to Europa every month to take it a run he was so scared of it.Walter and me went back to 1958 when I first start work for him.I used to do that at Sytners go in scruffy to pick my car up and see all the so called rich people,when i paid the bill i used to say to Allan Hall who was on the desk ah Allan do you know what this is they call it cash but i bet you aint seen that for a long time in here.I have a saying,Talk posh and no Dosh.There are no characters left in the trade these days.Did you ever run across John Keefe? perhaps not you would have had a lot less than you have now.

i have fond memories both of grandads truck and mechanics shop and also the car showroom. i remember quite a few of the cars especially tommy tiger!!! i can also remember seating on your knee and steering the cars as you drove. i have very fond memories of david and fran. i can remember the boats dad and your espcades in the cars and fast driving, unsure that i should let the grandchildren read some of these high jinks that you got upto. but i am privileged to have met alot of the customers and i remember alot of the names mentioned. memories are a true blessing in an era that shouldnt of ended

Bullerboy hi, your right the trade was full of solid gold one off's,all characters.The one thing they all shared was that they all stood on ,a deal was a deal.I remember Mike Bennett wanted to treat him self to a Jaguar e type roadster 6000 miles like new,carmine red chrome spokes buiscuit leather.We would not normally trade such a car but Mike really wanted it.He took it out for a run around the block before paying for it.A while later he returned on foot,where's the car I asked, you know the island by red gates, it's there,run out of petrol I asked, no he said,it's not at the island it's on the island,and a bit of a mess.He said can we go in the office,as he pulled out his cheque book,how much did we say? The word was if you bend it ,you've bought it,I did'nt have to say a word.You have to respect Mike for that. A very hard thing to do! No excuses just did it the way it should be done. If you see this Mike hope you are well and still havering fun.

---------- Post added 13-03-2014 at 10:33 ----------

Chellybee70 How's my little girl, we did have fun didn't we. I never thought those days would end and it broke my heart when it did,to many temptations, not an excuse but a lack of maturity and a load of arrogance. Has taken me a long time to forgive my self, and I have always been thankful for your blessings Michelle. Such a gift wasted, all for testosterone and infidelity. I would do it differently with hind sight but that's the privilege of Gods and wise men,of which I am neither. Love you X :-)

---------- Post added 13-03-2014 at 20:00 ----------

Cheibybee70 a little story about your Mum.We had been over Manchester for dinner on a buying trip to see Chris Bauer and Laurance Millet. We bought a number of cars one of which was a Ferrari Dino 246.By now it was very late and we needed to get back for you. We were travelling quite quickly and I had been thinking Cathy was doing well keeping up.just after that thought this bright red Pontiac Trans Am 455 roared past me your mum with her hair on fire and daylight under her wheels,just wearing a big grin.She stayed in front all the way home.when we pulled in the drive she said she would teach me to drive some time,and that I had possibilities. I did get a good night kiss.:):)

---------- Post added 13-03-2014 at 20:30 ----------

Coolhandsax hi,thanks for the top trumps tip.The auction was still open and I managed to win the card.This is your memory so I bought it for you .Please send your postal address to david.bee@btconnect.com.Thanks to you all for making this so much fun:):):)

---------- Post added 13-03-2014 at 20:37 ----------

Hope we will be hearing from the "Stone brothers" and all at Rydal garage in the near future as they have some fun stories of us all in the motor trade in the 1970's.

Edited by David Bee

---------- Post added 13-03-2014 at 20:37 ----------

Hope we will be hearing from the "Stone brothers" and all at Rydal garage in the near future as they have some fun stories of us all in the motor trade in the 1970's.

tragic loss terrys passing brians still going strong , first class bodywork and garry terrys son.

I keep bumping in to mick bennett

Suzyoo hi, hope you are well please give Mike Bennett my regards when you see him next, he might like to make a post and take a trip down memory lane. Yes Rydal do some lovely work,always have.

mum was definitely a nifty driver and would probably out drive most men have very good memories and as you say hindsight is a gift of the gods sadly one we dont possess yet. but still had amazing time and made me the person i am today:)

Hello Dave Bee,

Am I missing something from one of your comments. You mention Malcolm ?

Who is this and what context did you refer . It might be my age ????

Also Terry Stone , was he the S & H competitor who had a racing 1340 cc Anglia for driving tests at NMMC events ?

Gary Marshman

Hi Garry Marshman.Malcom was the manager at Midas Exhausts on west st .He was invaluable in that they had a pipe bender big enough to handle the manufacture of exhausts to awaken the V8 roar and rumble of the American muscle cars. He also played in a band. Terry Stone raced a number of cars of which my favourite was a 1965 Ford mustang light weight. It unfortunately hit a tree at a hill climb event held in Norfolk Park and was badly damaged. I have seen pictures of a Ford Anglia on the office wall and I can now confirm that Terry did compete in his racing Anglia at Sheffield and Hallamshire events.Hope this helps Garry

Edited by David Bee

Hello again Dave Bee,

I would not be familiar with Midas Exhausts on West St., or Malcolm, that is Bullerboy? although may have come across him elsewhere.

As a committee member of North Midland Motor Club in the 60's I organised 2 annual events for the club , one was a Driving Test event at the Omega Restaurant car park where am sure Terry Stone competed for Sheffield and Hallamshire Motor Club in various hot racing saloons totally unsuitable for this type of event but great viewing. Am sure I remember a hot 1340 cc racing Anglia he used and I suppose he used it for circuit racing, on other occasions.

I would love to see any photos anyone has of that ex Stuart Curson Chevy Camaro convertible , was in red with Wolerface wheels. Should have taken more interest in this motor way back in 1970 when we convoyed into Derbyshire on many occasions to the George, Hathersage

Gary Marshman

Hi Garry.I will get more information for you and I hope Brian Stone will make some posts with regard to Terry's racing exploits. I don't have any pics of the Camaro but if you go on to google enter Chevrolet Camaro convertible 1969 pics. This should do the trick.:) Only look if you are prepared for an attack of the wants and have about 50k$ to spend on a great looking car! Have fun.

Malcolm is Malcolm Hooley he was manager at midas exhausts from 1971-,he played bass Guitar with various groups but played with Frank White for years at the Pheasant at Sheffield Lane Top.I am still in contact with him and he lives locally my wife was in the same class at school when they both grew up in Swallownest.I think I asked you before Gary if you were related to Forest Marshman who had a car spares on Glossop Rd and his son Ben who used to Rally in the 70s with S and H.