Post-war wall daubings.

Today it's unsightly graffiti, but in the post war years, walls, bridges etc. were besmirched with hand-daubed slogans. Anyone remember any ? On a long wall on Upwell Street there was a massive one reading 'Cut The Call-up'; It was there for years and was a call to end military conscription. 'Kilroy was Here' was another, along with 'Hong Kong to China' which we kids thought was 'Honk, Honk to China' which we shouted as a warning when speeding on our trolleys. There was one slogan on the bridge at the bottom of Staniforth Road reading 'Read the Daily Worker', added to which, some wag had painted a 'D' before the first word ! One wit was writing things on roof slates and placing them on top of bus shelters, this got in the Star, or Telegraph, under the caption 'Message for people in high places !' . ( Forget it UKIP !)

The Five Arches viaduct was often adorned with such graffiti. In the early 1950s "CUT THE CALL-UP NOW" was painted on the lower side - here is a photo - while on the upper side there was "FIGHT TORY RENT INCREASES ACT NOW".

Edited by hillsbro

Enoch Powell is a star ,written on a wall near Brunswick Street ,the letters were 3ft high and some one had inserted the letters BA at the beginning of the word star with a D as the last letter.

The graffiti was there for many years and could be seen from the main Road .

And another wall name on St Phillips Road "Tony Coleman" again in 3ft high blue letters.

Edited by cuttsie

Guest makapaka

Written on the corner at the end of Carlisle St, at the crossroads where it becomes Holywell Road, was;

"They've got the money, you've got the vote, vote no!"

It was there throughout the 80's / early 90's and is just about visible now from close up.

I can remember on a wall down Little London road hardy pick Heely was Mosley next time in big white faded letters,it was there until quite recently,they knocked the wall down when they improved the roads around there.

I remember the "Cut The Callup" high up on the bank, overlooking Pond Street bus station. As far as I can recall, it remained there until the site was developed. It was beside the steps which ran up from Pond Street to the Junior Art Department - was it Tudor Street or Arundel Street or summat? I haven't lived in Sheffield for 55 years.

Mike

Claire! will you marry me. Park Hill.

Anne + Boncho. Five Arches.

Edited by cuttsie