Stocksbridge

Lodge Moor/Fulwood has leafy streets and avenues. Not great open views of the countryside though I hasten to add. Kids do hang on street corners, even in Dore. There were around 20 sat behind a bus stop one night last week amid empty green bottles, but then I'm no more an expert on the leafy des. res. areas of Sheffield than you are on North Sheffield. I actually live at Deepcar where incidentally 400 private houses are soon to be being built under the picturesque Wharnecliffe Crags. The burglars won't have to travel from the city into Stocksbridge anymore, they have 400 new homes to have a go at marginally closer to home. The steelworks is not closing entirely, parts of it are closing. Some jobs are going true, and as an employee of Corus who works at both Rotherham and Stocksbridge I can safely assure you that you are generalising and reading the headline only. If you look at the smaller print below, you will learn more. Whatever, I will still see sheep and cows grazing the stone walled hills every morning from my kitchen window, this I am happy with.

Ecclesall, Dore, Fulwood, Lodge Moor are all on the edge of the Peak District actually. Fulwood also looks over the Mayfield Valley. I know that I can walk up the road for 10 mins and be on the edge of the Burbage Moors, which are, incidentally, pylon and steelwork free. ;)

Don't be so defensive Zeppelin! I said I liked it! But... if you want to be competitive...

In fact, there are plenty of views up here in Fulwood / Lodge Moor, far more than there are in the valley of Stocksbridge. I suspect that the views where I live are the best in the City - from the Peak District to the Humber!

As I am from North Sheffield originally I suspect that I may have known the area far longer than you as an "incomer". :)

Glad that you mentioned Wharncliffe Craggs. When I was younger, they were a regular hang out via Green Wood, Hall Wood and Greno’ Wood and I have been up and down the Cragg via Jacobs Ladder many times. I remember we once found a fox’s skeleton in the cave which caused lots of excitement at the possibility of the dragon that was rumoured to live there. (Yes I was that young!).

As for Deepcar, my father was the Community Bobby there for many years, and I bought my first car from Scholeys. Went to the College in Stockbridge for a very short time, and have run / cycled through the area loads. Dropping down Finkle Street on the bike from Wortley was a high speed blast with lots of frenetic braking and banking as you got to the Chequered Bridge. That was before the bypass was built though, so you probably won't know what I'm talking about.

... cycling up Jawbone was another matter! :(

A senior manager at the Works is a pal, and they have a nice lifestyle up by the dams. I'm generally aware of the situation there because my pal is one of those tasked with sorting it out.

Now if you re-read my original message I was basically saying that there is little crime, and that's it’s a nice place to live and there are lots of nice people. If all you have to worry about is kids on corners, I think that you are very lucky.

You do seem to have adopted the Valley Mentality quite quickly though! ;)

I agree with everything the Zepplin as said.

to20 Ecclesall, Dore, and Fulwood maybe all be on the edge of the Peak District but you pay about 4 TIMES THE PRICE for the same size property as you would in Stocksbridge.

Plus the views aren't quite the same, Eccleshall, Dore and Fulwood is all surburbia, so are full of housing estates. So all you get is a view of the rest of the houses, and oooh maybe a glimpse of a field.

Also why does it matter there is a Steelworks in the valley? It is part of Stocksbridge history. The plant is clean and noise is kept to a minimum.

Also as the Zepplin says, the Steelworks isn't shutting as the HEADLINES have said. Parts of the plant are staying open, some jobs will be lost yes but that is what happens with modernisation and recentralisation. You work over at Aldwarke then the Zepplin?

And guess what. If it wasn't for these steel works, there wouldn't be a Sheffield. And without pilons most of Sheffield wouldn't have power.

Originally posted by Skatiechik

I agree with everything the Zepplin as said.

to20 Ecclesall, Dore, and Fulwood maybe all be on the edge of the Peak District but you pay about 4 TIMES THE PRICE for the same size property as you would in Stocksbridge.

Plus the views aren't quite the same, Eccleshall, Dore and Fulwood is all surburbia, so are full of housing estates. So all you get is a view of the rest of the houses, and oooh maybe a glimpse of a field.

Also why does it matter there is a Steelworks in the valley? It is part of Stocksbridge history. The plant is clean and noise is kept to a minimum.

Also as the Zepplin says, the Steelworks isn't shutting as the HEADLINES have said. Parts of the plant are staying open, some jobs will be lost yes but that is what happens with modernisation and recentralisation. You work over at Aldwarke then the Zepplin?

Housing ESTATES? Don't use that term please. Streets, roads, avenues, etc... not ESTATES.

It matters that a steelworks is there because it spoils the views, along with all the pylons and a big, busy bypass.

Of course they're estates.:loopy: What else would you call roads lined with similar houses all built at the same time by the same developer?

Originally posted by max

Of course they're estates.:loopy: What else would you call roads lined with similar houses all built at the same time by the same developer?

Thank you Max. I couldn't be arsed arguing that point with the stuck up wannabe upper class toss pot. Not tonight anyway!

However you have stepped in and posted what I was thinking... t020 grow up man!

By the way I saw a young chap driving recently up your neck of the woods with a car number plate that started T020 (can't remember the last letters). Not you by any chance was it?

Estate: An estate is an area of land, usually in or near a city, which has been developed for housing or industry.

The use of the term "estate" has rather fallen into misuse, usually preceded by the term "sink". However, suburbia comprises estates, as does Chatsworth, Arundel and Sandringham. Nothing wrong with the word in the right context.

:lol: I can't believe people can't differentiate between a joke and a serious statement.

Originally posted by max

Roads? Although I was joking, it is fair to say that the term "estate" is used to describe either council/social housing estates or new developments that are easily distinguishable from other nearby houses. I have never heard (or used) the term to describe streets with mature housing.