Do i need antivirus on a tablet?

Going to buy a Google Nexus 7 2013 - 16GB.

In short do I need an antivirus for this, I have antivirus on my main pc that won't work on this device. But my question is do tablets need antivirus at all?

Going to buy a Google Nexus 7 2013 - 16GB.

In short do I need an antivirus for this, I have antivirus on my main pc that won't work on this device. But my question is do tablets need antivirus at all?

tablets dont work on viruses....so my doctor tells me! :loopy::gag::D:hihi:

tablets dont work on viruses....so my doctor tells me! :loopy::gag::D:hihi:

Ok, thanks. I strongly suggest another appointment. You may require a humour tablet, yours seems a little off-balance.

Put Avast on my sons, seeing as he's only 10, and inquisitive.

im sure hes 11 lol

Got line anti virus on our tablet.

Found it for free in the app store.

Seems to work fine.

personally at this time I would say no.

it all depends on what you do with it. There have been instances of malicious apps on the play store but generally they are secure.

I run one on mine as I am rooted and install 3rd party apps without going through play, so I dont know how legit they are.

Why not if you are operating internet on your tablet then you have to install an antivirus.

Why not if you are operating internet on your tablet then you have to install an antivirus.

no you dont.

its all based around apps rather than the browser such as a conventional pc would be. In the case of the nexus, with it being android which is based on linux (I know its not the same before anyone says but for simplified reasons) you have to action the installation of apps.

This.

I'd also recommend that you put it on your smartphone, if it is Android-powered. I do a bit of work on mobile security every now and then, and regularly get info about malware trends and industry developments.

A lot of the 'simpler' android malware is not so concerned about stealing identity or banking data, but making your <device, usually a smartphone> call premium numbers, send premium texts, etc. unbeknownst to you.

Much easier to get a malware app to do that, than 'hacking' or 'cracking' encryption of personal/banking data; it's also "less criminal" as such, so the guys behind this type of malware have less to fear from the Courts; and it nets them just as much £$.

Edited by L00b