Vulnerable man starved to death after his benefits were cut

Okay then smart arse - given that his family were unaware shortly before his death that even his benefits had been stopped (which his GP has said triggered his mental health to decline even further). What should his family have done for the Aspergers suffering man with OCD and an eating disorder?

And what's with the stupid smiley?

What makes you think his family knew about the situation before he died? They may have only found out after the inquest. What makes you think his family were in a position to help financially? Do you think he would have starved to death if he had not had his benefits cut? Why are you so desperate to pass the blame onto the man himself and his family when Atos are simply contracted by the government to indentify as many people as possible to be removed from benefits? I suppose you're happy he won't be receiving state help anymore?

---------- Post added 02-03-2014 at 10:15 ----------

I stand by that statement. Responsibility for yourself first, then your family, and then the government. Learned helplessness helps nobody.

No surprise there then is there? And want will you say when you need help from the state because it will definately happen sooner or later, if not already?

If you did have a mentally disabled relative you would know how difficult this is. They might refuse to even open the door to you or speak to you at all. They might become violent, what would you do then? Send for the doctor who would also be refused entry. The doctor would then send for another doctor (it takes 2 to section someone) who would send for the police and an ambulance. Then you could watch while they broke down the door and used whatever force is necessary (physical restraint, handcuffs etc.) regardless even of the age or sex of that person. Lets suppose they spoke to you without opening the door and they told you they were fine, what would YOU do next? Remember it's your relative and you have been worn down after years of trying to look after them.

Nonsense, you don't give up on family. You do what is necessary and if that means having them sectioned for their own safety then you do it.

---------- Post added 02-03-2014 at 10:29 ----------

What makes you think his family knew about the situation before he died? They may have only found out after the inquest. What makes you think his family were in a position to help financially? Do you think he would have starved to death if he had not had his benefits cut? Why are you so desperate to pass the blame onto the man himself and his family when Atos are simply contracted by the government to indentify as many people as possible to be removed from benefits? I suppose you're happy he won't be receiving state help anymore?

What kind of family doesn't check up on relatives that are known to be ill for months on end?

Of course they'll care now, there's a possibility of some free cash in the form of compensation.

A cynical view I'll grant you but doesn't make it any less true.

He had a phobia of food. He was still receiving DLA. He had the means to purchase the food but didn't because of his underlying mental health problems.

Seems more like a failure by he local Mental Health team than by the DWP.

---------- Post added 02-03-2014 at 10:15 ----------

No surprise there then is there? And want will you say when you need help from the state because it will definately happen sooner or later, if not already?

What makes me think that the family knew about his situation before he died?

From the Guardian artcle you linked with your post:

He was reluctant to ask relatives for help and they were unaware his benefits payments had been removed until shortly before he died.

Not sure if your satirising the reactionary views expressed on here Mecky, but I DO NOT share them

---------- Post added 02-03-2014 at 11:18 ----------

Nonsense, you don't give up on family. You do what is necessary and if that means having them sectioned for their own safety then you do it.

---------- Post added 02-03-2014 at 10:29 ----------

What kind of family doesn't check up on relatives that are known to be ill for months on end?

Of course they'll care now, there's a possibility of some free cash in the form of compensation.

A cynical view I'll grant you but doesn't make it any less true.

The family cannot section him on their own - his own G.P. was aware of his situation, if he had the gift of foresight he could have contacted the psychiatrist or approved social workers in the area and had him sectioned without the family's consent.

---------- Post added 02-03-2014 at 11:19 ----------

I stand by that statement. Responsibility for yourself first, then your family, and then the government. Learned helplessness helps nobody.

Do you think he was fit for work?

Edited by Mister M

I volunteer. What do you do?

That's great.:) I'm sorry for my previous comment.

[/color]

What makes me think that the family knew about his situation before he died?

From the Guardian artcle you linked with your post:

He was reluctant to ask relatives for help and they were unaware his benefits payments had been removed until shortly before he died.

Not sure if your satirising the reactionary views expressed on here Mecky, but I DO NOT share them

So you agree with me then?

So you agree with me then?

Yes, that's what I said in post 19.

He was a grown man living his own life. It doesn't sound as though he sought help. It's not unusual for grown children not to see their parents or families for a few months.

No man is an island. Society is built on empathy, not money. If a person dies within a group, and we let that person dies, and we don't even step in and also help, then we fail ourselves as humans. I noticed that a lot of people "blame the process" but how many actually took the responsibility into their own hands, and actually DO something ? Persuade the man to live with them. Or to help the man back onto his feet and grounding. Or to even talk to him to keep him focused and motivated until he figures out what he wants to do next.

Yes, that's what I said in post 19.

OK, I was just clearing up because you said you agree with me in your post (number 19) but in you post (number 40) you said you don't share my views

This poor mans family should be ashamed of themselves for allowing this to happen and oh how so typical of todays generation to turn right around and blame the government. They were his family and yet they let him waste away for 4 months?????

Horrific!!!

I cant but help to think the same thing. plus if you read the article, this bit stands out "It was not clear whether the letter reached the jobcentre." Therefore if there was no other evidence I can see why the assessors didn't take his mental state into account.

Would he have had his benefits cut if the letter had been passed on, I don't know, but I would have thought this doctors professional opinion would have counted for something.

Who is to blame? I suspect many would like to blame the government, but is the doctor blameless? If Mr Wood was so vulnerable, why did he not take it upon himself to notify the Jobcentre himself. Then you have the mans family, where were they while this man starved to death over a 3 month period?

I cant help but thing there were plenty of opportunities for others to get involved and help this man but they all sat on their hands.

It is therefore a scandal that Remploy has been severely curtailed.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-17288762 Cached

With my job I do (sorry can't disclose it on here) I come into contact with people who are on benefits that get them sactioned.

A lot of these people do have vulnerabilities of varying degree's. In their time on ESA before being booted to JSA then sanctioned they get little or no support. Many of these people are struggling to manage everything else their lives without stopping their income.

I'm sorry that this upsets the people who usually shout Scrounger.

With my job I do (sorry can't disclose it on here) I come into contact with people who are on benefits that get them sactioned.

A lot of these people do have vulnerabilities of varying degree's. In their time on ESA before being booted to JSA then sanctioned they get little or no support. Many of these people are struggling to manage everything else their lives without stopping their income.

I'm sorry that this upsets the people who usually shout Scrounger.

I think Aspergers is a particularly difficult illness to deal with. There are many functioning aspergers sufferers out there holding down full time jobs, but there are also many who can't.

It's also difficult to diagnose, and all but the worst cases get very little help.