E Petitions against the school holiday ban

No, I did not miss it. The economics of holidays is not the issue. If the parents can't afford to go on holiday then they should select a cheaper one or not go. School attendance has higher priority than parents' budgets

The fact that petitions like this exist is symptomatic of the 'I want so I must have' society that we find ourselves in. It is the responsibility of parents to send their offspring to school. In turn, the children then learn that it is their responsibility to attend. Taking them away from school for frivolous things like holidays just teaches them that it is fine to shirk these responsibilities.

Three months per year is ample time to take holidays and parents should arrange to go away during this in order to minimise disruption to education. That is what happened when we were children - our parents would never dream of pulling us out of school for anything other than serious illness.

The notion of holidays being educational is laudable but it is unlikely that many parents will put this at the top of their priorities when selecting a destination. In any case, they can have these experiences during school holidays just as well as in term time.

In a world where there are millions of children who have no, or little access to education, parents should be grateful that this is provided for free in our country. Have a look at the story of Malala Yousafzai to see the truth of this.

education isn't free-we pay for it with our taxes.

What about if the holiday is for a wedding of a family member that lives abroad? What about if it is to see a festival that happens at a certain time of year?

You don't even think its acceptable for a child under 14 to go?

Personally I would do it and if I got fined I would pay the fine. The fines would have no bearing on it but I still don't think they should be fined.

We went to an island in greece during term time. It was my first holiday abroad and very few people spoke any English-absolutely none. My parents made us go and buy our own ice creams and things which sounds like nothing but its pretty scary when you don't know the language or currency. We learned why people have siestas (it was darn hot). We tried such different food and experienced a totally different culture (not all good). It was unforgettable. The two weeks of work I missed could not be less relevant.

Edited by llamatron

I have and i can't take them on holiday out of school time.

Thats because you parents insist on teachers actually teaching. So i think if the pupils can be absent so can the teachers.

It'll be amazing how many complaints parents make about the lack of continuity when relief teachers are used.

I agree, teachers act like children so should be treated like children.

And in my experience teachers tend to take far more sick leave than children take.

---------- Post added 28-02-2014 at 09:06 ----------

Whats hypocritical about fining someone for selecting to take a child out of school and being forced to strike by a Union.?

Unions don't force anyone to strike, if you strike it is because you as an individual chose to strike, you aren't fined for striking, you just loose what you would have gained if you worked, the same rule should apply to kids, they should just loose what they would have gained if they attended school.

---------- Post added 28-02-2014 at 09:09 ----------

They aren't being penalised, they know the conditions before they agree to send them to school.The fine is for breaking the rules.

Just like speeding tickets etc,if you don't break the rules you don't get a fine or thats the view of many people on here.

Its very different to a speeding ticket, because you stand a very good chance of not being caught.

---------- Post added 28-02-2014 at 09:12 ----------

Well, they are a paid workforce rather than a bunch of people receiving a free service but, let's be clear here, if you give the kids the same "rights" as the teachers wrt "Baker Days" then you will be taking 5 days holiday away from them.

Do you unserstand yet?

Children don't receive a free service, it is paid for by parents through taxation.

---------- Post added 28-02-2014 at 09:15 ----------

AliceBB how rude you are !!!!

One as to hope that the members claiming to be teachers are just saying they are to wind other members up.

---------- Post added 28-02-2014 at 09:18 ----------

No, I did not miss it. The economics of holidays is not the issue. If the parents can't afford to go on holiday then they should select a cheaper one or not go. School attendance has higher priority than parents' budgets

But it shouldn't be an higher priority than a child's happiness or quality time spent with ones children. Parents that work want to spend their holidays with their children, unfortunately some parents can't take the same weeks off as school take off.

Children don't receive a free service, it is paid for by parents through taxation.

It is paid for by all tax-payers through taxation. The children receive it for free. None of which nitpicking over one arguable detail detracts from the point of my post.

And in my experience teachers tend to take far more sick leave than children take.

And your experience is?

It is paid for by all tax-payers through taxation. The children receive it for free. None of which nitpicking over one arguable detail detracts from the point of my post.

And your experience is?

Teachers taking long periods of sick leave and child attending school apart from the odd day here and there.

Teachers taking long periods of sick leave and child attending school apart from the odd day here and there.

In how many schools did this take place?

In how many schools did this take place?

Everyone that I have ever been to.

If you think fining parents who deprive their kids of an education is a money making scam, you clearly missed out on a significant chunk of your own education. Suggest you go back to school.
Yawn...:rolleyes:

The couple of weeks leading up to summer break or Christmas are generally 'bring in games and/or watch movies' weeks at school anyway.

So the kids won't be learning anything at school anyway, but still sanctions will be enforced if they don't attend???

Precisely.

We're going a week before the end of term this summer.

I've already told the headmistress that if she (or the LEA) issues the fine, I'll see them in Court before I pay it.

Edited by L00b

The fact that petitions like this exist is symptomatic of the 'I want so I must have' society that we find ourselves in. It is the responsibility of parents to send their offspring to school. In turn, the children then learn that it is their responsibility to attend. Taking them away from school for frivolous things like holidays just teaches them that it is fine to shirk these responsibilities.

Three months per year is ample time to take holidays and parents should arrange to go away during this in order to minimise disruption to education. That is what happened when we were children - our parents would never dream of pulling us out of school for anything other than serious illness.

The notion of holidays being educational is laudable but it is unlikely that many parents will put this at the top of their priorities when selecting a destination. In any case, they can have these experiences during school holidays just as well as in term time.

In a world where there are millions of children who have no, or little access to education, parents should be grateful that this is provided for free in our country. Have a look at the story of Malala Yousafzai to see the truth of this.

Break up the 6/7 week holidays.

I know it will have the teachers crying like babies, but so what!

Break up the 6/7 week holidays.

I know it will have the teachers crying like babies, but so what!

Teachers don't want all the long holidays, they want parity with everyone else.

Sick time and holidays. All the ones i know would gladly spread 7 weeks across the year.

---------- Post added 28-02-2014 at 11:58 ----------

I agree, teachers act like children so should be treated like children.

---------- Post added 28-02-2014 at 09:06 ----------

Unions don't force anyone to strike, if you strike it is because you as an individual chose to strike, you aren't fined for striking, you just loose what you would have gained if you worked, the same rule should apply to kids, they should just loose what they would have gained if they attended school.

---------- Post added 28-02-2014 at 09:09 ----------

Its very different to a speeding ticket, because you stand a very good chance of not being caught.

---------- Post added 28-02-2014 at 09:12 ----------

---------- Post added 28-02-2014 at 09:15 ----------

One as to hope that the members claiming to be teachers are just saying they are to wind other members up.

---------- Post added 28-02-2014 at 09:18 ----------

But it shouldn't be an higher priority than a child's happiness or quality time spent with ones children. Parents that work want to spend their holidays with their children, unfortunately some parents can't take the same weeks off as school take off.

Then you're wrong, if a union advises it is withdrawing its staff in a school then you cannot turn up for work at school to teach whether you voted to strike or not.

That would be ALL taxpayers not all parents, and many thousands of non parents.

---------- Post added 28-02-2014 at 11:59 ----------

education isn't free-we pay for it with our taxes.

What about if the holiday is for a wedding of a family member that lives abroad? What about if it is to see a festival that happens at a certain time of year?

You don't even think its acceptable for a child under 14 to go?

Personally I would do it and if I got fined I would pay the fine. The fines would have no bearing on it but I still don't think they should be fined.

We went to an island in greece during term time. It was my first holiday abroad and very few people spoke any English-absolutely none. My parents made us go and buy our own ice creams and things which sounds like nothing but its pretty scary when you don't know the language or currency. We learned why people have siestas (it was darn hot). We tried such different food and experienced a totally different culture (not all good). It was unforgettable. The two weeks of work I missed could not be less relevant.

What about teachers they can't attend either? Why should a child have an option. It should be parity for all - so guess what the kids can't be removed 'cos parents will not allow teachers to take holidays whilst their offsping are being childminded, sorry taught.

Edited by willman

What about teachers they can't attend either? Why should a child have an option.
Because teaching is supposed to be a vocation and the school system is not supposed to be carceral.

Or have I got that wrong somewhere?

It should be parity for all - so guess what the kids can't be removed 'cos parents will not allow teachers to take holidays whilst their offsping are being childminded, sorry taught.
How about stowing that chip away for a moment, willman?

Teachers don't want all the long holidays, they want parity with everyone else.

Sick time and holidays. All the ones i know would gladly spread 7 weeks across the year.

---------- Post added 28-02-2014 at 11:58 ----------

Then you're wrong, if a union advises it is withdrawing its staff in a school then you cannot turn up for work at school to teach whether you voted to strike or not.

That would be ALL taxpayers not all parents, and many thousands of non parents.

---------- Post added 28-02-2014 at 11:59 ----------

What about teachers they can't attend either? Why should a child have an option.

I lived with a teacher. Like the pupils coming up to the 6/7 week holidays, she got very excited at the prospect of a long break and did very little at school during the last week.

Also, If teachers whinge that kids fall behind when taken out of school terms, then surely they must understand that kids may forget a lot of what they learn through having long holidays in term time.