Small Council Tax increase to stop some cuts?

Would you be prepared to pay more Council Tax to save services?  

145 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be prepared to pay more Council Tax to save services?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe
    • Don't Care

According to Coalition rules, the proposed increase would take place at the start of the financial year.

If the referendum votes 'no' then a substitute precept (produced with the original budget) would take effect.

Authorities then have discretion to issue new bills immediately, offer refunds at the end of the year or allow credits the following year - subject to a right for council taxpayers to request a refund on demand.

How much would it cost to issue new bills should the people vote no.?

How much would it cost to issue new bills should the people vote no.?

See post #40

Post #40 appears to be just some numbers pulled out of thin air. I seriously doubt that issuing council tax bills costs approx £2.00 per bill.

I also doubt that the referendum (when add onto the existing polling that will take place) will cost more than a fraction of the estimated £500k

It will be 50p just for postage, let alone anything else.

You do know large companies like that can get bulk postage deals through a franking account, don't you? 37p, tops.

It will be 50p just for postage, let alone anything else.

Because large organisations pay for individual stamps at the post office! :roll:

I have a better idea. Why don't the council cut back on a bit of waste and give me a 2% decrease,or even better,cut back on all waste and give me about a 50% decrease?

I agree with all The Manager says in post 24 and Supertramp in in post 34 and barleycorn in post 47.

You do understand by what level government funding to councils has been cut right?

Yes, thank you. I specifically asked how much of my council tax is wasted... unless of course you think there is no wastage and council spending in 100% efficient?

jb

Because large organisations pay for individual stamps at the post office! :roll:

Ok 37p. And not that long ago some councils paid staff less than the cost of a second class stamp to deliver them (or rent cards) by hand. Had a fun filled afternoon or two doing that in the past!

So 37p and counting. It's the public sector I'm quite sure it will go from there quite sharply.

Yes, thank you. I specifically asked how much of my council tax is wasted... unless of course you think there is no wastage and council spending in 100% efficient?

jb

Waste is an incredibly subjective thing to measure. There is simply no answer to your question (or not that anyone will agree on).

The services are in jeopardy because of the massive cuts, not because of local inefficiencies. You specifically asked your question and appended a rider "to put these services in jeopardy", so the likely answer is "none".

---------- Post added 25-02-2014 at 15:55 ----------

Ok 37p. And not that long ago some councils paid staff less than the cost of a second class stamp to deliver them (or rent cards) by hand. Had a fun filled afternoon or two doing that in the past!

So 37p and counting. It's the public sector I'm quite sure it will go from there quite sharply.

Probably much less than that.

And the remainder of the cost, a few taps on a keyboard, and some administration of the machine that prints and stuffs envelopes.

Edited by Cyclone

Waste is an incredibly subjective thing to measure. There is simply no answer to your question (or not that anyone will agree on).

The services are in jeopardy because of the massive cuts, not because of local inefficiencies. You specifically asked your question and appended a rider "to put these services in jeopardy", so the likely answer is "none".

---------- Post added 25-02-2014 at 15:55 ----------

Probably much less than that.

And the remainder of the cost, a few taps on a keyboard, and some administration of the machine that prints and stuffs envelopes.

Ah your assuming the council will strive for the most economic way and the best deal. What's it going to cost then?