Small Council Tax increase to stop some cuts?

Would you be prepared to pay more Council Tax to save services?  

145 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be prepared to pay more Council Tax to save services?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe
    • Don't Care

I think most people can count to three.

I work in polling stations. Many people struggle with the concept of two. Not everyone is up on current affairs.

Having been a teller in 2010, I can't argue with that. More political education needed in the long run.

So how would that work when the Budget is finalised in March and bills go out soon after? Serious question.

Would the increase be retrospective, therefore it would actually be more than 50p a week?

According to Coalition rules, the proposed increase would take place at the start of the financial year.

If the referendum votes 'no' then a substitute precept (produced with the original budget) would take effect.

Authorities then have discretion to issue new bills immediately, offer refunds at the end of the year or allow credits the following year - subject to a right for council taxpayers to request a refund on demand.

Lol so they put the increase on before the vote? Oh dear.

More hassle then it's worth.

It's not 50p a day - it's less than 50p a week that would bring in a useful sum for these services.

You're quite right, my mistake. My point about £3.5m apparently stretching a long way still stands though. It don't buy much in local government land!!

Lol so they put the increase on before the vote? Oh dear.

More hassle then it's worth.

We don't make the rules.

We're just trying to find a way to protect old and vulnerable people and save libraries from massive government cuts to local authority funding.

Unless you give them a clear idea i.e how much and what it will be used for, then they will vote no. I think most people will vote no in any event and then be ouraged the council spent £x in asking them anyway.

We don't make the rules.

We're just trying to find a way to protect old and vulnerable people and save libraries from massive government cuts to local authority funding.

I couldn't give a rats about the libraries. Sure many others feel the same. Can't see an increase over 2% being popular.

---------- Post added 25-02-2014 at 09:28 ----------

Just spotted Calderdale (Halifax) have voted in a FREEZE in Council Tax, if they can balance the books I'm sure Sheffield can have a stab at doing so.

Why not make some cuts at the management level. My experience of working with the council tells me there are 5 managers for 4 employees. It's bonkers.

Sheffield's Green Party Councillors are proposing a citywide referendum on a small increase in Council Tax (less than 50p a week for most households) in order to save libraries and help elderly and vulnerable people. What do you think?

So 2 councillors out of 80 are proposing this and you expect it to be approved?

Questions

If it raises £3.5M how do you propose its spent?

How much would go to libraries and what would the balance be spent on "to help elderly and vunerable people" its a vague statement, you must have some idea of how the funds would be channeled.

im not dismissing the idea at all, i think its good but has it been thought through and does it realistically stand a chance

Are the libraries actually worth saving? Their usage much now be at the lowest since..well, ever.

The current plan to keep a number of libraries seems fine to me, how many do you bloody need anyway?