Small Council Tax increase to stop some cuts?

Would you be prepared to pay more Council Tax to save services?  

145 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be prepared to pay more Council Tax to save services?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe
    • Don't Care

How about the Green party tryong to make the blue bin / box scheme actually effective rather than just being a cash cow for Vileola?

You can't put in any plastic or plastic pots etc even if they have recycling logo on them, without the bin police slapping a notice on top saying that they aren't going to empty the bins.

So, in effect all they are collecting is the valuable stuff.

Someone was very poor at the contract negotiation (or had alterior motives).

I don't think the Green Councillors got to negotiate the Veolia contract. Signing up to a 35-year contract is one of the things that now makes it more difficult for the Council to deal with its budget because there's no real scope to reduce the costs to Veolia.

Is there an option to pay no council tax and have no council?

I could then use the saving to employ someone to tarmac my road (because at the moment I pay and it still has shell holes). Take 'Big Society' to its logical conclusion.

I don't think the Green Councillors got to negotiate the Veolia contract. Signing up to a 35-year contract is one of the things that now makes it more difficult for the Council to deal with its budget because there's no real scope to reduce the costs to Veolia.

Just out of interest, who did sign the contract with Veolia?

---------- Post added 09-03-2014 at 17:11 ----------

We don't even have an adequate bin removal service now. Why on earth should we pay more?

Exactly, and until the local authority stop wasting our council tax (just like central government wasting our taxes) the county will remain in the financial mess it is in.

---------- Post added 09-03-2014 at 17:33 ----------

I think he's made it pretty clear that that's exactly what he believes in: every man for himself.

...and what exactly do you believe in-sitting back and letting the rest of society carry you?

...and what exactly do you believe in-sitting back and letting the rest of society carry you?

I think that people should contribute what they can to the world, within reason, but that people only have so much control over their talents, opportunities, and circumstances, and so we should be sympathetic to those who through no fault of their own can't contribute that much right now.

In Liverpool they're threatening the closure of 11 leisure centres because of council tax freezes and government cutbacks.

First thought was that this is awful. But then I wondered why these centres aren't paying their way and turning a profit.

In Liverpool they're threatening the closure of 11 leisure centres because of council tax freezes and government cutbacks.

First thought was that this is awful. But then I wondered why these centres aren't paying their way and turning a profit.

They always cut the controvertial stuff first

The Lib Dems signed a 30 year contract with Onyx, now Veolia, in 2001. Labour extended it a few years later by 5 years to 2036. Only 22 years to go!