South yorkshire police and their failure to act

I won't beat about the bush.I had my out building broken into on Saturday night where two mountain bikes were stolen.

1 of these is a custom one of a kind downhill bike used for racing which is worth around £1500.

When I discovered the break in yesterday morning I reported it to the police immediately.

Someone from South Yorks police returned my call but told me they weren't going to send anyone out to see us or look for evidence etc because according to the lady I spoke to they aren't going to send anyone because even though the out building is built onto the back of the house it has no direct access to my house so its classed as a shed and they don't come out but when I'm cleaning up the damage etc if I find any blood or tools that they used ring and then they will come.

There is no wonder that things like this happen when the scrotes who did this know that the police won't come looking for them as it doesn't matter.

I just think it's a ridiculous answer and that the police aren't interested and wondered what other people thought and also thought other people should know about this

Waste of a police resource sending someone out if you ask me. If they did turn up, what happened differently, eg, getting details of your bike etc.. that they couldn't have got from you over the phone.

Unless there is any CCTV, or anything evidential left behind, not much point in them turning up. Only way you'll get your bike's back is if you see them turning up on an auction site. Did you have the serial numbers for the bikes?

about a year ago, a man was on my drive very early one morning , i called 101 to report this man never seen him before and a lot of sneak break in's where taking place around the area at that time . the man went into the estate and police never came out , later that day a friend on the next st had his house broke into and his phone taken , by the same man . might not have happened if police had turned out .

about a year ago, a man was on my drive very early one morning , i called 101 to report this man never seen him before and a lot of sneak break in's where taking place around the area at that time . the man went into the estate and police never came out , later that day a friend on the next st had his house broke into and his phone taken , by the same man . might not have happened if police had turned out .

There was a man on your drive (who wasn't committing a crime) and you expect the police to turn up to your property after dialling 101 which is the non-emergency number? Are you sure it wasn't the milkman? ;)

yes I would expect them to turn up... thats how you cut down crime, when we lived in canada we had our shed broke into, all they took was our 5 years olds bike, 2 patrol cars arrived within 10 mins and were not happy that someone stole a kids bike, they never got it back, but at least they tried, the OP;s situation is a disgrace, sort yourselves out SY police, thats a disgrace... and BF.. why should someone be on private property uninvited ??

yes I would expect them to turn up... thats how you cut down crime, when we lived in canada we had our shed broke into, all they took was our 5 years olds bike, 2 patrol cars arrived within 10 mins and were not happy that someone stole a kids bike, they never got it back, but at least they tried, the OP;s situation is a disgrace, sort yourselves out SY police, thats a disgrace...
As your experience showed the police turning up is unlikely to result in the recovery of those stolen goods, and not many police services in the UK now have the funding available to allow officers to pay lip service to individual members of the communities they serve. Two police cars turning up for a stolen 5 year old's bike? I think your local police service had issues with resource management to be honest.

and BF.. why should someone be on private property uninvited ??

It doesn't necessarily follow that they're up to no good lotar or that the police should attend the scene.

I won't beat about the bush.I had my out building broken into on Saturday night where two mountain bikes were stolen.

1 of these is a custom one of a kind downhill bike used for racing which is worth around £1500.

When I discovered the break in yesterday morning I reported it to the police immediately.

Someone from South Yorks police returned my call but told me they weren't going to send anyone out to see us or look for evidence etc because according to the lady I spoke to they aren't going to send anyone because even though the out building is built onto the back of the house it has no direct access to my house so its classed as a shed and they don't come out but when I'm cleaning up the damage etc if I find any blood or tools that they used ring and then they will come.

There is no wonder that things like this happen when the scrotes who did this know that the police won't come looking for them as it doesn't matter.

I just think it's a ridiculous answer and that the police aren't interested and wondered what other people thought and also thought other people should know about this

What are you expecting them to do by visiting you that they can't do over the phone?

It's been raining and damp, there's practically no chance of finding any forensic evidence. They can search for the bike (as much as they can anyway) without having seen your outhouse.

My bike was stolen from the locked cage at work, an officer did eventually come out to pick up the CCTV but it turned out to be useless, just two people with hoods up from a distance.

---------- Post added 25-02-2014 at 09:02 ----------

The question has already been asked mate but curiously not answered by the OP. I would have hoped so since the bike is alleged to have been worth £1500.

You say this like you doubt it or like a £1500 is in some way unusual.

Some very serious issues raised here and you would hope that someone within SYP is taking note and indeed formulating future policy re the points raised.

That I doubt and it is a real shame it isn't happening.

Considering the extreme limitations the Police are working under at the present time, we the public are going to have to change our mind set !

i.e. realisation, patience, understanding, sympathy and the Police in turn must get their act right BIG TIME or God help us all.

I have a big issue with SYP an issue that saddens me immensly. The way they acted re a case involving a dear friend left me utterly dismayed. Such an instance is I know common, that is nationwide, not just with SYP.

Edited by Runningman
Change punctuation mark

You should report every crime as you just dont know what can happen.

They could get stopped randomly in town by police because they looked suspicious or they could raid a home for another related crime and find your bikes.

Report crime as soon as you can. :thumbsup:

I'm not sure what you're in disagreement with me about given your response, I haven't claimed the police service is stellar, in fact quite the opposite and outlined reasons for it.

As I said all police forces are faced with 20% budget cuts, what effect do you think that's likely to have on performance? What would happen to your lifestyle if your income was cut by 20%?

Incidentally the parts of your post which interested me, were your claims that the police force was failing due to 'corruption, political correctness' and them being 'clueless'.

You appear to be alluding to the fact that because the Police budget is/has been reduced by 20% the wheel has come off and we shouldn't expect attentive service.

My point is that before the wheel came off, the service was poor, mainly because of the issues raised below.

If the budget is such a restrictive ligature, why hasn't the money been used better by reducing the amount of so called Senior Officers who make no contribution remotely comparable to that of a foot soldier?

For every Superintendent you could potentially employ three PC's who probably could make a difference to our lives.

There's far too much lard at the top of the Force tree in positions that are basically Administrative and could be done elsewhere in the Force by civilian employee's.

Don't be taken in by the mantra that claims that civilians couldn't do the jobs as they have no Policing experience. Clearly, that mantra is more applicable to the current incumbents

Edited by willowwisp2

Most stolen bikes / cars are used in other crimes

Have mine locked in brick shed with locked gate with alarm and other obsticals to stop anybody taking it without a big shock also if they get away with it it has a traker on it and 2 CCTV cameras to get past

Feel sorry for who's bike it is as insurance a pain to deal with and they was proberly late for work

You appear to be alluding to the fact that because the Police budget is/has been reduced by 20% the wheel has come off and we shouldn't expect attentive service.

My point is that before the wheel came off, the service was poor, mainly because of the issues raised below.

However we're discussing a live issue, the OP's referring to an incident that happened on Sunday.

From my own experience, the service I've received from the police has generally been good since I've been a homeowner for the last 30+ years. I haven't been burgled or had my car broken into or damaged for at least 12 years, although I've a full expectation that the service will deteriorate over the next few years.

If the budget is such a restrictive ligature, why hasn't the money been used better by reducing the amount of so called Senior Officers who make no contribution remotely comparable to that of a foot soldier?

For every Superintendent you could potentially employ three PC's who probably could make a difference to our lives.

There's far too much lard at the top of the Force tree in positions that are basically Administrative and could be done elsewhere in the Force by civilian employee's.

You previously mocked my credentials to comment on this issue (without any knowledge of what they are), yet you seem to be making superfluous comments of your own.

South Yorkshire Police has a budget of over £250 million and 5000 staff, in business terms it would be large organisation. Such organisations don't run themselves, and I don't want those foot soldiers we all celebrate, running around like headless chickens.

Do you know how senior ranks are employed and what they do, compared to the workforce they manage? Do you know what a similarly qualified superintendent could earn in industry or other public bodies?

At this point it's useful to mention Jon House who used to be the officer in charge of policing Sheffield. He left (to become a civilian) and has recently been appointed a consultant to PWC, having been the £184k pa head of Cardiff council, he's still only mid 40's. A chief superintendent earns about £75k pa.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/jon-house-resigns-post-chief-3905970

Don't be taken in by the mantra that claims that civilians couldn't do the jobs as they have no Policing experience. Clearly, that mantra is more applicable to the current incumbents

It's a mantra I haven't heard, but what makes you think you could recruit a civilian with the right skills set for less money than a superintendent earns? Edited by boyfriday

As your experience showed the police turning up is unlikely to result in the recovery of those stolen goods, and not many police services in the UK now have the funding available to allow officers to pay lip service to individual members of the communities they serve. Two police cars turning up for a stolen 5 year old's bike? I think your local police service had issues with resource management to be honest.

It doesn't necessarily follow that they're up to no good lotar or that the police should attend the scene.

great attitude, little wonder the countries in a state with attitudes like that, maybe if we stopped wasting money on wasters we would have enough money to police properly... so, why would someone be on your private driveway ?? what reason would they have ?? maybe they lost their ball ;)