South yorkshire police and their failure to act

It could have been a stolen vehicle and the lads were hiding it in the OP's back garden for a bit, any copper worth his/her salt should have suspected that and investigated pronto.

I would prefer said police officers to prioritise crimes that involve serious danger to life and limb tbh - I think you would to.......

Regards

You do get the feeing that the police service is being dialled down on purpose.

I would prefer said police officers to prioritise crimes that involve serious danger to life and limb tbh - I think you would to.......

Regards

Yes, we all would.

However, we know that the police are also concerned with thefts, burglaries, vandalism, robberies etc. which do not involve serious danger to life and limb. The police have invested a lot in PR to engage the help of the public in reporting such crimes.

My company has suffered a spate of break-ins recently and the police have been on the scene in minutes each time, and spent many days following up evidence and taking statements. I reported some suspicious activity next-door last year and again the police were on the scene in minutes. Same many times in the past, from my experience the police have always had time for reports of crimes being undertaken.

Sure the title "a new low" is a ridiculous exaggeration, but I don't buy the excuse that the lack of response here was down to lack of police officers or prioritising life and death crimes. I'm pretty sure that there was probably some officers that would have loved to respond ASAP to this call.

It seemed obvious to me as I read the OP that this was a crime being undertaken, a stolen bike very temporarily hiding in neutral territory, and it would have been obvious to any police officer too. I guess it just wasn't obvious to the person who took the call.

The problem wasn't resources, or prioritising, it was communication imho.

Didn't South Yorkshire elect a Labour party police crime commissioner? its him people should complain to if they have a gripe.

Alan is correct you can also complain to this guy.

Shaun Wright

https://www.southyorkshire-pcc.gov.uk/Contact/Contact-Us.aspx

Not sure why youd keep such an expensive bike in a less than secure place. Not to excuse the police but surely you would have had insurance if its kept in a shed like that? I lost a lot of stuff from a break in and it didnt occur to me that the police would go off chasing.

You can register your dis-satisfaction with the PCC but not a 'complaint' unless it relates to the Chief Constable i.e. a direction and control issue (read the Police Reform Act and Police Misconduct Regulations if you need more detailed info on this.).

If your complaint is about the conduct of an officer (or civilian for that matter), you put it in writing to professional standards but be prepared to be fobbed off, misled and made out to be the one in the wrong - and thats if you're lucky.

If you believe that you were not dealt with correctly when you called 101, you can request a copy of the call recording and the procad incident(expect most of it to be redacted) by sending ID and £10 to Professional Standards and 40 days later you'll get it in the post.

And no alarm I presume..........

Is that the same type of no alarm that people leave in their £10,000 car that is parked on the road? mmmm!!

'A new low'

Yeah, not responding to a report of an abandoned bike and a few kids has definitely knocked the whole Hillsborough Disaster thing off the top spot for me.

Be sure to write a description of this evenings events in a letter to anyone who was involved in the Miners Strike in the 80s, so they can put their trivial gripes with SYP in to context.

Sadly, my remote island loving friend (yes, I know it was Man Friday), I speak from personal experience.

I have contacted said organisation on more than one occasion to report matters to eventually be told that they have been and investigated the alleged incident when I know for a fact after witnessing what they actually did, that they have done sweet Fanny Adams.

And before you say it, I have better things to do than contact the Police for no reason.

You may be easily swayed by statistics/figures, etc but I'm not.

I've enlightened you, now it's your turn to lay your coruscating knowledge on the good people of Sheffield Forum

I'm not sure what you're in disagreement with me about given your response, I haven't claimed the police service is stellar, in fact quite the opposite and outlined reasons for it.

As I said all police forces are faced with 20% budget cuts, what effect do you think that's likely to have on performance? What would happen to your lifestyle if your income was cut by 20%?

Incidentally the parts of your post which interested me, were your claims that the police force was failing due to 'corruption, political correctness' and them being 'clueless'.

'A new low'

Yeah, not responding to a report of an abandoned bike and a few kids has definitely knocked the whole Hillsborough Disaster thing off the top spot for me.

Be sure to write a description of this evenings events in a letter to anyone who was involved in the Miners Strike in the 80s, so they can put their trivial gripes with SYP in to context.

Well said and from personal experience i can state that the corruption is as bad as it ever was and the cover up culture is alive and well.

The 2 issues you raise are purportedly being considered by IPCC and that should give an indication of the validity of any complaint process.

My bike was stolen a few years ago. It was used in a failed robbery a few streets away and left at the scene. The police rang me up, waited with the bike until I could get there, and took a statement from me. They never caught the theif but still, I was very pleased by their response.

Well said and from personal experience i can state that the corruption is as bad as it ever was and the cover up culture is alive and well.

The 2 issues you raise are purportedly being considered by IPCC and that should give an indication of the validity of any complaint process.

And are irrelevant to this thread.

Can we get back on topic please ?

Is that the same type of no alarm that people leave in their £10,000 car that is parked on the road? mmmm!!

It's hardly comparable. For a start you won't find a £10,000 car without an alarm or immobiliser (unless it's a really old classic car and nobody leaves those on the road). Secondly, not everyone has a drive or garage. Thirdly a car is a lot harder to steal than a push bike in a shed with no alarm, and fourthly a stolen car is worth nothing, but a stolen bike is!