Council tax -neighbour

How do I appeal what we are paying for council tax? Recently moved on to a new development in s12 and I accidentally clicked on a neighbours house number and the council tax was cheaper. I compared the street and 4 houses are in one band and the other 6 are at a much lower rate, I know that all the houses are the same spec as I viewed 3 houses.

It happens on my friends road, where one side is in another area to the other side.Are both the properties you mentioned in s12 ?

Yes there on same road there's only 15 houses

Don't know then in that case Mark,but anyway,good luck with it,and let us know how you get on.

My council tax was originally below my neighbours in an identical house, his didn't go down mine went up, you won't be popular if same happens to your neighbours.

I was in a similar position when we moved in to our house. Ours was band D and the neighbours in the same houses were C. It was easily appealed.

According to Sheffield Cit Council's website you need to contact

Email: [email protected]

Telephone: 03000 501501

Fax: 03000 503497

The Listing Officer

Valuation Office Agency

Council Tax North

Earle House

Colonial Street

HULL

HU2 8JN

My house is on a main road on the very border of s12, across the road is woodland leading to Gleadless Valley which is all S14 and their properties are two bands below ours.

My council tax was originally below my neighbours in an identical house, his didn't go down mine went up, you won't be popular if same happens to your neighbours.

a) I doubt he will care if his neighbours goes up

b) How would his neighbour know it was him that initialed the appeal?

Doesn't council tax depend on the price you paid for the house? Or it's value in 1990 if it's an older property?

No, it does not depend on the purchase price- but on the assessed 1990 value.

And that value is set by the Valuation Office (part of HMRC), not by the Local Authority.

So any appeal does not directly involve the Local Authority.