Sheffield Council Tax

The council tax bands in the link don't seem to have police,fire or (in some cases) parish council charges in them but they are included in the bill. They would make a difference.

The amounts on that page do have the police/fire bits on them. It says so further down the page.

I looked at the Parish charges and even taking them into account, it still doesnt come to a payment of £108 for Band A under the 10 or indeed the 12 month payment method. So I can only assume the OP is paying arrears of some kind? Apologies if not.

This.

The general default is 10 months (with February and March as "free" months), however they can change it to 12 months, works better for some people so they know where they are every month.

You still pay the same with each method, of course!!!

---------- Post added 21-02-2014 at 15:08 ----------

Also, Ive taken a look at the bands and cant quite work out why you are paying £108 per month on a Band A property

https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/council-tax/bands.html

Should either be around £83 (12 payments) or £99 (10 payments) per month.

If the payment was due on 1st of April and OP paid on time then on 27th of April decided she wanted to pay by DD in future it would be too close to next payment due around 1st of May to be taken so it would be spread equally across the direct debit from June if that makes sense. Payment would have to increase.

I thought the two free months were late December 1963, and the Summer of '69. Course, I could be wrong, it might be January by Pilot.

And also the standard direct debit assumes you are living in the property for the full tax year, if they moved in part way through then the amount would differ, especially with the time it takes SCC to input a new occupier!

If the payment was due on 1st of April and OP paid on time then on 27th of April decided she wanted to pay by DD in future it would be too close to next payment due around 1st of May to be taken so it would be spread equally across the direct debit from June if that makes sense. Payment would have to increase.

And also the standard direct debit assumes you are living in the property for the full tax year, if they moved in part way through then the amount would differ, especially with the time it takes SCC to input a new occupier!

Well we are going to have to wait for the OP to return to answer this one, because under either of the normal payment circumstances a Band A payment does not equal £108 per month.

Well we are going to have to wait for the OP to return to answer this one, because under either of the normal payment circumstances a Band A payment does not equal £108 per month.

Not thats its any of our business! We are all just nosey :))

The amounts on that page do have the police/fire bits on them. It says so further down the page.

I looked at the Parish charges and even taking them into account, it still doesnt come to a payment of £108 for Band A under the 10 or indeed the 12 month payment method. So I can only assume the OP is paying arrears of some kind? Apologies if not.

Apologies, you're quite right, I hadn't read it properly.

The reason for the strange payment amount could be if a second person has moved out of or into the property recently and the single person discount has been applied/removed. This is why my council tax bill has been £111 for the last few months. Not because I'm paying any kind of arrears.

Edited by angel22

The reason for the strange payment amount could be if a second person has moved out of or into the property recently and the single person discount has been applied/removed. This is why my council tax bill has been £111 for the last few months. Not because I'm paying any kind of arrears.

Well it wouldn't be because of the single person thing as he is already on the lowest band so his payments wouldn't be that much either with or without it applied.

Think we will have to wait for him to return.

Well it wouldn't be because of the single person thing as he is already on the lowest band so his payments wouldn't be that much either with or without it applied.

Why are you so bothered about how much they're paying?? There are any number of reasons, none of them any of your business.

You're wrong. My council tax is also band a. When my ex lived with me, we paid £83 per month (over 12 months). My ex moved out last September. So I applied for the single person discount. In October I paid nothing for my council tax. In November the payment was £16.77 and December, January and February have been £111.

It's because the single person discount was applied for half way through the year so it all had to be recalculated and split evenly over the remaing few months.

Edited by angel22