Canon SLR FILM with EF Lenses advice please

Then junk the digital because it isn't as fun ;)

No amount of hours sat in front of Photoshop compares to the joy (and quality) of a lovingly produced print in a darkroom.

Old enough to have done both well.

You can keep your chemicals.

I have just been given a Canon EOS 500 FILM SLR and 2 lenses, a Canon EF 80-200 mm and a Canon EF 35-80 mm.

I have a couple of questions, how much is developing and printing these days and would these lenses fit and work on a digital SLR ??

They are 52mm, so excusing my ignorance, which digital SLR would they fit.

Excuse my ignorance as I currently use a Bridge camera and a small Canon Ixus and have no experience of SLR's or film.

If I wanted to sell the above equipment what sort of price could I expect and would anyone be interested ?? I don't expect to get a lot for it.

I fancy a spotting scope for birdwatching (around £70) so I would be more than happy to accept that.

Film photography aint that expensive in the grand scheme of things, the money you spend on development - you save in gear.

I love shooting digital and also film! I use both as much as each other as they each have their own perks. Enjoy your camera.

Hi Euclid,

I know this is a month old but I just wanted to say don't rush into selling those lenses as they will work on all of the EOS digital bodies and the two of them cover quite a nice range, so they'll be good for most applications in decent light. They're probabaly the f/4-5.6 type lenses and the 35-80mm would be worth £30-40, while the 80-200mm would be £40-60.

What I will say is that film is quite unforgiving and it can be off-putting if you find yourself spending a lot of time and a bit of money to not get many useable photos at the end of it. I'd recommend trying to keep the shutter speeds quite high as you're less likely to end up with blurry shots, and a good way to do that is to use a 'fast' film (400 ASA or above).

For development, these days I just take my films to Asda and they'll develop them and scan to a CD for about £3.50. It's probably not the very best quality scan, but I figure if I really want to I can get the negative re-scanned elsewhere.

Finally, if you look at buying more lenses then all of the EF mount ones should work with the 500, but beware of any EF-S ones. They'll look like they should fit, but won't work as they're designed specifically for Canon digital bodies with an APS-C ('cropped') sensor.

The older FD lens won't fit on a DSLR. But you are fine with EF lens as above you might just loose some of the features like autofocus.

with an adapter they will, no problem.

I have bought a s/hand eos350d and the old EF lenses do work. The 350d takes EF and EF-S lenses, it has colored lining up dots for both types. These lenses are subject to a 1.6 increase in focal length so the 35-80 is a bit 'far away', not very good for close shots. I could do with one of the old Canon 18-55 kit lenses. Anyone want to swap a eos500 film SLR for one ??

I know it's been a year since this topic and a bit off-topic but, can you show us some of your work? :)

I haven't done any shots with the film SLR. The price of processing put me off. As stated, I bought a cheap s/h eos350d at Harrison's and I am playing around using the old EF lenses on it. The old eos 500 SLR is unused by me, still has an old film in it and is stuck in a cupboard along with another film camera, an Olympus superzoom. I can't see me ever using them. Someone will want them someday.