You first TV set ?

We got an EKCO 12 or 14 inch but well after the coronation. There was a childless middle aged couple on our backs street, who used to let all the kids of the street come in for children's hour, just before teatime. "Oh Cisco," "Oh Pancho". "Hi Ho Silver, away." Lol :D

---------- Post added 04-02-2016 at 10:57 ----------

Maybe when the rental companies came about and expanded, they chose the brands that they felt the most comfortable with, the rest had to fend for themselves, and could not compete as most people began to rent. That is just my two penneth, by the way, as I am no expert on business matters.

-------------------

Hi Torontony, I dont remember the EKCO, i was in a charity shop

other week and they had some black/white tv's in. if i can pick up

some names i'll send you them and see if you can remember any.

Yours Brian. :|

LOL at grabs handbag:D I knew you wouldn't take that one laying down.;)

---------- Post added 04-02-2016 at 14:04 ----------

It won't end there however lol

Hey Tony I know that. He needs to keep his opinions on monarchy, religion and politics to the other sections where he's constantly giving us the benefit.

I come on this section to get away from that and it gets my back up when someone tries to hijack a thread for that purpose

-------------------

Hi Torontony, I dont remember the EKCO, i was in a charity shop

other week and they had some black/white tv's in. if i can pick up

some names i'll send you them and see if you can remember any.

Yours Brian. :|

I remember the old TV ad., E.K. Cole, for television and radio, - as I remember it anyway

In common with many others we got our TV, for the Coronation in '53. I remember that quite a few of the local kids took it upon themselves to come and watch, we had quite a house full. The television was a top of the range 9," console (which meant it was a free standing as opposed to a table model) It was a Defiant - made by the Co-op. The screens in those day's were a light colour and could only be viewed properly in semi darkness. the 9", size was the norm, I don't remember 12", certainly not 14" at that time.

In 1953, television was transmitted from app. 7.30,pm to 10.30,pm with 5.00, to 6.00,pm Children's hour. Everything was live, if the actors fluffed their lines, you could hear them being prompted. The earliest programme I remember is Whirligig, with Peter Butterworth and Humphrey Lestoque (?)

What happened to the British television manufacturing ? Well, the Japanese, deliberately destroyed it by flooding the market with cheap CRT's - they ceased to be in manufactured in Europe sometime in the 80's

Our first TV set was bought from DER whose shop in 1950 was,I think, on Spital Hill; it was an Ultra 12" table model.

At that time the Sutton Coldfield transmitter some 80 miles distant meant that the strength of the TV signal in Sheffield depended very much on how high above sea level you lived.That transmitter came into service in December 1949 though on the 12th December 1951 (Festival of Britain Year) Holme Moss, the third high power transmitter switched on.

MacDonald Hobley, Mary Malcolm and Sylvia Peters were the three main presenters with Donald Gray when required. It was Sylvia Peters who was the BBC's choice to present the Coronation in 1953.

I remember our living room being packed for the FA Cup Final that year when Blackpool beat Bolton 4-3 (the Stanley Matthews final!)

BBC2 arrived in 1964 whilst ITV broadcast from Winter Hill and Emley Moor from 1965/66.The latter mast collapsed due to ice and high wind on 19th March 1969 and was replaced with the current smaller tower.

Because the screen sizes were only 9" or 12" in those early years some company sold large magnifiers to hang over the screen to increase the picture size but they didn't catch on!

Our first TV set was bought from DER whose shop in 1950 was,I think, on Spital Hill; it was an Ultra 12" table model.

At that time the Sutton Coldfield transmitter some 80 miles distant meant that the strength of the TV signal in Sheffield depended very much on how high above sea level you lived.That transmitter came into service in December 1949 though on the 12th December 1951 (Festival of Britain Year) Holme Moss, the third high power transmitter switched on.

MacDonald Hobley, Mary Malcolm and Sylvia Peters were the three main presenters with Donald Gray when required. It was Sylvia Peters who was the BBC's choice to present the Coronation in 1953.

I remember our living room being packed for the FA Cup Final that year when Blackpool beat Bolton 4-3 (the Stanley Matthews final!)

BBC2 arrived in 1964 whilst ITV broadcast from Winter Hill and Emley Moor from 1965/66.The latter mast collapsed due to ice and high wind on 19th March 1969 and was replaced with the current smaller tower.

Because the screen sizes were only 9" or 12" in those early years some company sold large magnifiers to hang over the screen to increase the picture size but they didn't catch on!

Many would call that FA cup final the (Stanley Mortensen final), Still the only player to score a hat trick in a FA cup final. Yes, I know Sir Stan made the goals and ran rings around Bolton, but the goals till had to be scored.:|

Many would call that FA cup final the (Stanley Mortensen final), Still the only player to score a hat trick in a FA cup final. Yes, I know Sir Stan made the goals and ran rings around Bolton, but the goals till had to be scored.:|

I remember that F.A. Cup Final, which was in May 1953 a few weeks before the 'Coronation'. my dad took me to his brother's house(they had a T.V. we didn't) On Bolsover Road, Firth Park-another world from my Pitsmoor home- I was only six but recall that sunny Saturday afternoon away from the steelworks houses. I can see the 'Seasiders' now, the two Stans , Jackie Mudie and the goalie George Farm, celebating in their Tangerine shirts (but not on b&w t.v.). I think Stan Mortenson was a WW2 R.A.F.bomber crew member -Lancaster/Wellington ?-who carried an injury from the war into his football career after. Imagine that today ?

I remember that F.A. Cup Final, which was in May 1953 a few weeks before the 'Coronation'. my dad took me to his brother's house(they had a T.V. we didn't) On Bolsover Road, Firth Park-another world from my Pitsmoor home- I was only six but recall that sunny Saturday afternoon away from the steelworks houses. I can see the 'Seasiders' now, the two Stans , Jackie Mudie and the goalie George Farm, celebating in their Tangerine shirts (but not on b&w t.v.). I think Stan Mortenson was a WW2 R.A.F.bomber crew member -Lancaster/Wellington ?-who carried an injury from the war into his football career after. Imagine that today ?

Yes the M squad ruled that day, that's for sure.

---------- Post added 05-02-2016 at 21:14 ----------

Yes the M squad ruled that day, that's for sure. Never saw it live, but saw highlights many times in later years. Funny how ,for more than four decades ,the only live football match you could watch on telly was the FA Cup final. Different world eh?

My uncle, who lived with us, had a win on the football pools just before the Coronation and bought a Bakelite Bush TV set with a tiny screen for the family to watch the ceremony, though he hated royalty himself. I was too young to remember that event but the set remained until replaced by a rented 17" screen set from DER in the early sixties. The Bush set smelled slightly of carbolic when it warmed up.

Living in Parson Cross in 49 I am certain I watched TV on a set owned by one of the neighbours.

Pye12inch with a set top box so you could get ITV

Living in Parson Cross in 49 I am certain I watched TV on a set owned by one of the neighbours.

Sutton Coldfield was the second TV station in the UK in 1949, Holme Moss did not start until October 1951.