You first TV set ?

You've got me thinking now. After looking up some pics of old tv sets I'm pretty sure ours was an Ekco, not a Pye.

Ours was also a PYE a 9-inch model, bought from Wiggy's in 1951 for 40 guineas (that's £42 to youngesters who don't remember real money.;)). At that time my dad was earning less than £10 a week so it was quite an investment. It looked like this. There was only one channel, and the set was pre-tuned by the Wiggy's to the frequency of the local transmitter (Holme Moss). Dad put an 'H' aerial on the roof, and to get the angle right we were positioned at intervals down two flights of stairs and into the living room, so that whoever was watching the 'test card' could relay information up to dad on the roof. I well remember the Coronation in 1953. Aged 5, I sat cross-legged on the floor in front of the TV while my mum served tea and biscuits to the five of us and at least an many neighbours, as ours was the only TV in Dykes Hall Road..:)

I lived on the springs and there were few tv's up there on coronation day . Indeed , we didn't get one until about 1957 I think it was .We still saw the coronation at a neighbour's house - which of course was quite full .

I lived on the springs and there were few tv's up there on coronation day . Indeed , we didn't get one until about 1957 I think it was .We still saw the coronation at a neighbour's house - which of course was quite full .

My aunt and uncle lived on Pickering Road and had a 12 inch Bush t.v. installed for the coronation. I remember watching the children's programme "All Your Own" with Huw Wheldon after the day's events.

We had the classic Bush with 2 knobs from Wiggys. Like most others it arrived just before the Coronation and we had all the neighbours round sat on benches my dad made specially for the occasion.

Had a major problem with the signal cos we lived in a valley so dad erected a mast on the front lawn held up by guy ropes with an H aerial on top. The envy of the district !

my dad bought a 14in Echo from Cole bros,in 1953----99 guineas my dad was on about £7/week ---- big expense -----today 14/16in tele could be bought for a days pay--flat LCD and colour

We always had a tv when I was young, but I do remember our first colour tv.

It had been a hot topic at school when colour was invented, the papers said

it would be two years before they arrived in the shops.

Me and my pals counted the days until shops got the new sets, assuming that our parents would go out and buy one that day... we were very disappointed when it didn't happen :mad:

The first in my road was at my pals house and their living room was full with people wanting to see it, I was there and sat amazed at the Nescafe advert in full colour.

It was a while before we got one but well worth the wait, my brother bought Mom n Dad a big Nordmende set with touch button controls that lit up when a channel was selected, the picture was far better than others I had seen and I knew we had the best in the street.

Happy daze

We always had a tv when I was young, but I do remember our first colour tv.

It had been a hot topic at school when colour was invented, the papers said

it would be two years before they arrived in the shops.

Me and my pals counted the days until shops got the new sets, assuming that our parents would go out and buy one that day... we were very disappointed when it didn't happen :mad:

The first in my road was at my pals house and their living room was full with people wanting to see it, I was there and sat amazed at the Nescafe advert in full colour.

It was a while before we got one but well worth the wait, my brother bought Mom n Dad a big Nordmende set with touch button controls that lit up when a channel was selected, the picture was far better than others I had seen and I knew we had the best in the street.

Happy daze

We were having our snap break at work one day and discussing the World snooker on at the Crucible .

We were all going mad about an impossible red behind the blue etc when Graham the joiner butted in with" does the blue look black like the red".

I built my own in 1952 in Catterick army camp. I was on a radio mechanics course and scrounged all the bits including a 9 inch cathode ray tube from an old oscilloscope. The fading and double pictures etc. was nothing to do with the aerial riggers but more to do with objects like gas tanks getting in the way of signals. The TV would pick up two or more signals being reflected from buildings etc.in order to prevent it a very,very tall aerial was required.

If you saw the coronation on Tv then you may have seen me start the parade. I was on a wooden dais near Admiralty Arch and the troops were all fell in along the Mall. A lance corporal, Trayhorn by name, was stood on the Victoria monument with all the Tv cameras watching for Elizabeth to appear and get in her carriage. Trayhorn then phoned me and I held up a disc which indicated 5 minutes to go to march off. The mounted band struck up and off they went, it was pouring with rain and white blanco was streaming down the faces of the Navy lads lining the route.

---------- Post added 21-02-2014 at 22:42 ----------

Clever people these Yorkshire folk. Have a look at this.

---------- Post added 21-02-2014 at 22:44 ----------

Clever people these Yorkshire folk. Just have a look at this colour film.

1953, Pye 12"'. When commercial TV was launched two years later my mum converted it to recieve ITV with a special box that sat on top of the telly. I was more impressed with the adverts than the actual programmes! It felt like we had finally arrived. Used to spend a lot of time adjusting the line hold at the back, made me feel grown up doing that.

I notice on here that everybody bought one how come then Wiggys and Curtis and the like made a fortune out of renting them.Ours was rented from Wiggys in 1955 and there was little money around in those days.Mother upgraded in 1960ish to one with a beautiful walnut cabinet with sliding doors and it was no more to rent than the other one,no one ripping off in those days.

When we first married in 1962 we bought a load of furniture from a relative who had been divorced. She had stored the furniture in a barn on a farm in the Loxley Valley. She let us have it cheap to give us a start in setting up our home. We weren't sure of what we were getting as she threw a few extras into the deal as the van was loading.

When the van was emptied there was a huge hunk of furniture-a tv set. It was one of the really early ones, a Bush. The screen was so small set in a huge polished wood cabinet. The first night we attempted to view it but it was ludicrous the picture was fuzzy and constantly jumping. I suppose today it would be the prize in someone's collection or in a museum somewhere. We couldn't grumble as it was a freebie extra to the sale of other furniture and the relative really helped us out G-d bless her.

It wasn't long before we rented one, still small and Black & White only but reliable.

Happy Days! PopT

I notice on here that everybody bought one how come then Wiggys and Curtis and the like made a fortune out of renting them....
Television rentals hadn't really got going in the early 1950s - at least, not in Sheffield. You had to buy a set, and it was the Coronation in 1953 that really gave a boost to TV sales.