Redgates loved that shop

RED GATES Every saturday with my pocket money to buy a stars wars toy or matchbox car

WOO YEAH

I agree :cool:

May not have been able to afford anything; but I could dream.

I spent many a Saturday afternoon just looking around that magical place. Bought construction kits and glue and paint but always had a piece or several left over. The fireworks were the best and they had such a large selection.

Also I used to stand and read the comic annuals that I knew would not be in my Christmas stocking. Oh happy days.

The train set that use to go around the store from the roof fantastic

Ohhhh......childhood memories! I got my first pair of roller skates from Red Gates, the metal ones that you strapped to your shoes with leather buckles! I loved that place, it was magical as a kid.

The likes of Toys R Us/Smyths and other modern day toy store just don't have the same feel.

The train set that use to go around the store from the roof fantastic

Beaties had one of those as well.

RED GATES Every saturday with my pocket money to buy a stars wars toy or matchbox car

Fabulous shop, it was Redgates btw, named after the family who started it :)

My favourite was Wilson Gumperts, I would try to get my parents to spend their money there.

Yes; Redgates was a magnet for kids of a certain age. I was always drawn to Gordon Joel's on Church St. as they had loads of Hornby Dublo electric train stuff that I couldn't afford.

also got hypnotised by the toy shops especially the ones with trains---in the past you could go window shoping for your dreams-----today window shopping consists of looking at graffiti strewn metal shutters---progress!

My mum told my granddad that I liked a car in Redgates he told her to get it for my birthday until she told him it was a electric one that I could sit in and it cost £250 about £5000 in todays money he then said to look for something else.