Why Do Oil Companys Persist With Decimal Point??

For the same reason that items you buy from shops use 9p endings, eg £1.99 or £2.49

Subconsciously (and for those really bad at maths) it makes the product look less expensive.

Go to a car dealer, a £10,000 will be marked at £9995, looks less expensive because it's one number shorter.

I'm probably wrong here, but I'm sure somebody once told me that one of the reasons why items are priced 99p- £1.99 etc: Is so that cashiers have to physically open the till and give change to the customer to stop the cashier from just pocketing an amount that is a full quid etc:

This would make sense on small value items,but obviously not on summat worth £9,999 haha!

I quite enjoy that moment...the anticipation...the joy ...of holding out the palm of my hand...to receive the 1p change.

:)

For that matter, my car does miles per gallon, so why don't they sell petrol in gallons rather than litres?

Could it be to do with the fact that I might be upset to see I'm paying over £5 per gallon, one of the highest prices in Europe?

Isn't it a case of what you're being charged at the pump is what you get in your tank, regardless of what the decimal point is?

You can sometimes buy products for a penny for a certain well known tv shopping channel.

Ohh yeaaaah yeaah yeah, let me switch on Price Drop TV now...let's see, ohhhh wow what a deal, some piece of ceramic crap, wow I really want that in my home. Oh and such good value too! Only 1p! Wow!

"Yes please I'd love to buy this beautiful ceramic tat from you, I'll come to your office now with 1p yes?"

"Erm no, the delivery fee is £7.99 and you have been charged £1.53 for this phone call IF you're ringing from a BT landline. Goodbye"

So it doesn't matter that the fees total £9.52 because the doll itself only cost 1p!

BARGAIN.

Ohh yeaaaah yeaah yeah, let me switch on Price Drop TV now...let's see, ohhhh wow what a deal, some piece of ceramic crap, wow I really want that in my home. Oh and such good value too! Only 1p! Wow!

"Yes please I'd love to buy this beautiful ceramic tat from you, I'll come to your office now with 1p yes?"

"Erm no, the delivery fee is £7.99 and you have been charged £1.53 for this phone call IF you're ringing from a BT landline. Goodbye"

So it doesn't matter that the fees total £9.52 because the doll itself only cost 1p!

BARGAIN.

It's a case of buyer beware, and being able to do a spot of mental arithmetic.

Sadly, anybody who takes anything at face value these days is likely to get ripped off. Just try comparing things like electricity tarrifs; mobile phone tarrifs etc...

Edited by Anna B

For that matter, my car does miles per gallon, so why don't they sell petrol in gallons rather than litres?

Could it be to do with the fact that I might be upset to see I'm paying over £5 per gallon, one of the highest prices in Europe?

My car somehow manages to work whether I put gallons or litres in (and like a lot of people I put so many £ worth in when I buy petrol).

If we're comparing prices to Europe then we'd be in exactly the same place in the table in cost per litre.

I agree with OP, also generally get rid of prices ending in 9 and ditch the penny. I throw away coppers anyway they're so pointless.

hiya ,tell you what we do the wife and me we drop our coins ,10,5,2,1, into a little plastic box and after a while take them to ,asda,sainsburys,or the like somewhere where there is a coinmatic machine, and cash them in,no time have we missed them and there is £30.or give them to our son as he tells us at work they are always short of change for the coffee machine.

Is this the most trivial complaint ever posted on this forum?

New, are you? You ain't seen nothing yet...

:hihi::hihi::hihi:

rickiethecat joined SF a few months before you.

Back in the day we used to have mods who noticed simple things like when people joined the forum.

Not a brilliant advert for a solicitor really Jeffrey - UKIP membership rotting your brain :cool: