Is it me or is Sheffield getting left behind?

On the contrary, I think people underestimate the power of the council. Speaking as a a householder who had planning refused, I later found that one of the main objectors was a neighbour (unaffected by the plans we submitted) who admitted afterwards to launching a campaign to get ours plans rejected, simply because, and I quote, 'I used to be on the planning committee, in fact I was chairman for a year, and I know how to get these things done'. Probably not pertinent to this particular thread but it still rankles after 10 years, especially when the council 4 years later sold the toilets adjacent to my property and allowed the builder that purchased them to do basically what we had wanted. I'm afraid it leaves me very cynical where the council is involved.

Agree probably not really pertinent on this thread. I thoight it was about why sheffield may or may not be being left behind, but it appears it seems to be the same old moan at the council by car users thread and anyone with a grievance.

Agree probably not really pertinent on this thread. I thoight it was about why sheffield may or may not be being left behind, but it appears it seems to be the same old moan at the council by car users thread and anyone with a grievance.

As I said, the council can only do so much. Do you think they are doing a good job?

Sorry if it's offends you, but I was just saying it doesn't do to underestimate the power of the council, based on my own experience.

Sheffield is now so far behind the pack that it cannot catch up.

As a major rated UK city it is finished.

Sheffield is now so far behind the pack that it cannot catch up.

As a major rated UK city it is finished.

Nah not really, Sheffield is great if you have good friends here. You can have a good quality of life as well. Good place to raise a family. Might not have the best shops, free parking wherever and whenever you want, buy they are not my focus.

Nah not really, Sheffield is great if you have good friends here. You can have a good quality of life as well. Good place to raise a family. Might not have the best shops, free parking wherever and whenever you want, buy they are not my focus.

You can say that about loads of places though, places far smaller than Sheffield. I don't think anyone is saying isn't a nice place to live but it's not the feel, infrastructure and arguably attractions of other major cities.

A couple of years ago a roofer told me about a firm who's roof he had worked on; the company had re-located to a warehouse premises in Rotherham and saved 45k PER YEAR on the rates!! Good grief...

Why can't our city leaders make Sheffield the place in our region that firms would want to re-locate to... no wonder shops come and then go...

Why do people equate the city's downfall with traffic/parking etc.

To me it is the utter neglect of the whole place and the councils disregard of it's residents.

There is litter and rubbish everywhere. What do the council do? Up the price of tipping. Is this in any way logical.

People are just going to pay someone to take their rubbish and not bother as to where it will end up. Look on the "Job vacancy's" section on here, there is always someone wanting a man and van or a garden cleared or rubbish removed. If it was easier and cheaper to tip stuff we wouldn't have a city that looks like something from a sci-fi movie with rubbish every where.

This council are just sitting on their aged behinds doing nothing to improve the place. They even refuse decent businesses like IKEA who can provide money and jobs for the city permission to build and those that they do have to jump through hoops for years until half of them just give up and move to another city.

This city used to be a place to be proud of and going to town to shop was something to look forward to. Now the city is a shambles and the centre is full of alkies and junkies and to be avoided unless an absolute necessity.

A couple of years ago a roofer told me about a firm who's roof he had worked on; the company had re-located to a warehouse premises in Rotherham and saved 45k PER YEAR on the rates!! Good grief...

Why can't our city leaders make Sheffield the place in our region that firms would want to re-locate to... no wonder shops come and then go...

what do you expect councils to do?

and can they actually do it?

before you start on business rates, councils have no control over business rates, they are set by central government and only collected by councils. they don't even get to keep the money they do collect.

---------- Post added 20-02-2014 at 19:29 ----------

Why do people equate the city's downfall with traffic/parking etc.

only the people who obsess about parking do that, normal people dont.

There is litter and rubbish everywhere. What do the council do? Up the price of tipping. Is this in any way logical.

most of the litter and rubbish i see insn't the sort of stuff which gets taken to a tip. It's the stuff which people are too idle to put in a rubbish bin so just drop on the ground.

Now the city is a shambles and the centre is full of alkies and junkies and to be avoided unless an absolute necessity.

all city centres are like that

It's since we turned our back on God. Blasphemy and luxury :D

I start this thread by saying that there is a lot in Sheffield to be pleased about, in terms of there being some lovely countryside, friendly locals and lovely areas in the south west of the City, low cost of housing, and low crime rate, etc. I am not from Sheffield, however have lived here for the last two years and also spent several years in the early 90’s here.

However whenever I return from visiting other cities around the Uk and travel far and wide to Asia, Europe and the US I just feel Sheffield is being left behind in so many ways and it hurts me. Whether it’s the culture imbedded in the town hall, planning department or the general ambition of many of the population but I don’t see that great strive for self-improvement and betterment that is so vital to mankind. There is something that is stopping that retail scheme being built, speculative schemes being developed, big companies being attracted to this city on a big scale, and talented individuals from being attracted to this city. This has to change, because the likes of Leeds, Manchester, Birmingham and even Liverpool are making big leaps forward which Sheffield seems to be incapable of doing at the moment.

And there lies your problem - you're comparing Sheffield to conurbations with double, treble or quadruple the population.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_urban_areas_in_the_United_Kingdom