Is it me or is Sheffield getting left behind?

So what is the point of all these measures if the situation gets worse in Page Hall, Wincobank, Pitsmoor and a few people in Fulwood and Ecclesall get richer?

So you want more left wing politics? How much do you think Sheffield city council, or any city council for that matter can change inequality? Isn't that down to governments on a national scale?

Fybby i though we had the sam discussion just last month over and over again. Its not as syccessful or prosperous as it might be but its just a place to live for me. Other places that are propserous also have their fair share of problems, so its not something i worry about. It would be nice if there were more major employers, but there arent.

I think people overestimate the power of the council.

It is down to national government as well, which begs the questions what would the situation be like if we had no government?

When you have individuals who actually can't function and participate in making Sheffield better then surely having these people is a negative and therefore we would be better off without them?

I run two businesses

Oh dear. :(

You do realise that the only way for true prosperity to come about is to sit on the sofa in your pants, eating pizza and watching Jeremy Kyle while waiting for t'council or t'gubbermint to fix everything for you.

And then feeling hard done by when they don't.

I don't think you're going to fit in here old fruit. ;)

I am angry and wondering how to change things.

I find it best to stop caring. It's less stressful.

Did I see on the local news last night that Leeds is about to build another city centre shopping arcade?

Meanwhile in little backwater Sheffield, our councillors bite their nails procrastinating over whether IKEA should be allowed to bring their business to the outskirts of the city, worrying that in doing so, our planners might have to re-programme some traffic lights and concerned about the knock-on effect it will have on Subway, Bet Fred and the Pound Shop on The Moor. **Cue sound of the wind whistling as tumble weed makes its way out of the city centre like the rest of us.**

Edited by Ousetunes

Sheffield is good, the place has real character but surely I am not the only one who can see that this is not sustainable to have a self congratulating parasitical lobby elite who serve no purpose other than exercising power? I am angry and wondering how to change things.

Part of the problem often seems to be that the local elections are fought on national issues and councillors are rarely held to account on local issues. A few years ago Sheffield had a Lib Dem council which seemed to be more a reaction to a declining Labour government than anything else and when Labour kicked them out they were sending a message to government about the cuts. We rarely even discuss local issues at elections but yet in between times the council is everyone's favourite punch bag.

I agree with alot of what you say but i strongly suspect that this post is politically motivated.

Do you work for the conservative party by any chance?

I agree with you. A well written, progressive post urging people to work hard and better themselves rather than blame everyone else for their idleness can only have been written by a Conservative supporter.

Visits to other cities definitely highlight Sheffields lag for me. I have often felt that for the amount of time and money the council has spent enabling things like sevenstone the council could have had a reasonable stab at doing something itself that didn't rely on a massive private developer emptying and bulldozing half the city centre first.

Perhaps the council could have developed just a single city block at a time ( not sure if councils are allowed to do this). I guess with the current financial situation the opportunity is pretty much gone either way.

Wow, another Sheffield bashing thread that likes to big up other city's without actually stating what these other city's have done better!

Just what we need!

My work takes me into many cities on most working days. The thing that stands out to me is that cities such as Leeds, Manchester, Newcastle, Derby, Nottingham, and Birmingham is that if you want to drive into these city centres to shop you can do.

Most of these places have parking available at a reasonable cost, even on city centre side streets.

Most also have park & ride which appear to be popular also.

But you have a choice & are able to access their city centres without a problem.

Compare this to Sheffield where it is virtually impossible to drive through the centre.

I have lived Sheffield all my life and have to stop & think of how to access some parts of the city centre.

The point of my post is that others cities give you the choice of how to shop/visit their city centres, Sheffield usually dictate that you go round our city centre, not through it.

The car is here to stay and the quicker the powers that be in our city realise this, the quicker our city will prosper.