Trolls are ''psychopaths and sadists'' say researchers.

The police have finite resources, so I would rather see coppers on the street than sat in an office combing their way through internet forums to see if someone's been called a rude name.

How would you feel if you'd been attacked and when you called the police you were told they had no-one available as they were all on the internet?

You sidestepped my question - do you think people who make rape theats via the internet be prosecuted - yes or no?

You sidestepped my question - do you think people who make rape threats via the internet be prosecuted - yes or no?

Why just rape? Whats the fascination with rape? Of course anyone who threatens it (amongst other threats) should be arrested asap but i dare say rape threats make up a minority of online bullying.

By the way. Anyone who thinks someone who threatens it shouldnt be arrested is a tool.

Why just rape? Whats the fascination with rape? Of course anyone who threatens it (amongst other threats) should be arrested asap but i dare say rape threats make up a minority of online bullying.

By the way. Anyone who thinks someone who threatens it shouldnt be arrested is a tool.

Not just rape, it just happens to be an example that's been in the news lately.

It was also a useful example to challenge rickiethecat with - I suspect he's going to avoid giving a straight answer.

I think there are quite a few factors to take into consideration. For instance, should I be arrested if in my next post I simply quote you and say "I'm going to rape you".

Not just rape, it just happens to be an example that's been in the news lately.

It was also a useful example to challenge rickiethecat with - I suspect he's going to avoid giving a straight answer.

My experiences with him lead me to believe you could be right.

Thanks for the explanation by the way.

---------- Post added 18-02-2014 at 11:44 ----------

I think there are quite a few factors to take into consideration. For instance, should I be arrested if in my next post I simply quote you and say "I'm going to rape you".

I suppose if it was clear you meant it, i mean it was obvious and not some flippant but sort of in context comment then yes you should.

You sidestepped my question - do you think people who make rape theats via the internet be prosecuted - yes or no?

Why the internet? What's special about it?

I had some inebriated individual threaten to "f***** kill me" if I didn;t "stop looking at his bird" last time I was in a rowdy pub. Do you think that's worth prosecuting over?

Mod Note

When referencing an article from another publication, please remember, you need a link to the article so people can go and read for themselves, a SHORT extract so people know what it's about and your own personal opinion, this is mainly to avoid copyright issues.

Posts have been removed for contravening this, along with the off topic discussion they generated.

Any queries or complaints should be directed to the Helpdesk.

Edited by esme

I had some inebriated individual threaten to "f***** kill me" if I didn;t "stop looking at his bird" last time I was in a rowdy pub. Do you think that's worth prosecuting over?

Experience says that when a man threatens another man because that man has glanced or "looked at his bird" you'll probably find that "that bird" is just as likely to get some fist if he ever perceived her as looking at another man. Prosecution? not sure..ignore? no, as warning bells have obviously been rang. Inebriation for such morons isn't the catalyst..inability to communicate and a violent nature probably is though as their just as likely to do it when sober.

Because it's a current issue. What's special about it?

I think what makes it different is the way - unlike the bloke in the pub - in which the threats can be anonymous and numerous. The experience you describe is unpleasant but hardly likely to occur every time you go to the pub.

In some of the high profile cases we've heard about recently some of the recipients have received multiple threats from multiple sources.

The word "troll" gets used for a wide range of posters. I get called a troll because I often dont agree with the "norm".

For instance, men are often not trusted because of sexual abuse and adultery, some women take their own experience to heart.

I get called a troll by a certain multiple account user, for pointing out huge flaws in his arguments.

I get called a troll by a certain multiple account user, for pointing out huge flaws in his arguments.

Then you may rest assured that you are not a troll, simply an argument-prone philosopher :)

If I suspect someone is a multiple account user, I report anything they post which is objectionable, but I do not enter into discussion with them. Just ignore them - it drives them mad!

I suppose if it was clear you meant it, i mean it was obvious and not some flippant but sort of in context comment then yes you should.

Aye that's what I mean. It's all about intent. I've been told many a time times that I'm going to get raped, mainly by presumably kids during online gaming. I wouldn't dream of involving the police in such circumstances.

If for some reason I thought the threat was genuine then I would have no qualms involving the police, but that has never happened.