Trolls are ''psychopaths and sadists'' say researchers.

Not a staggering discovery, but it underlines what many have long suspected. It was interesting to read about the "Dark Tetrad": narcissism, Machiavellianism, psychopathy and a sadistic personality.

I'm sure many of us can claim to have seen such traits in many a troll on here.

Link - http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/online-trolls-are-psychopaths-and-sadists-psychologists-claim-9134396.html

Edited by Halibut

Or in a few trolls with many a username. I may or may not be alluding to MrSMith and his many friends here.

So it's offical then, just because some researchers say so? Looks like a poor attempt to shame people to me ... or even a troll in itself.

Where did this research come from anyway?

Not a staggering discovery, but it underlines what many have long suspected. It was interesting to read about the "Dark Tetrad": narcissism, Machiavellianism, psychopathy and a sadistic personality.

Trolls arent ''psychopaths and sadists''. They are harmless, sometimes funny, mostly not people who are a bit sad

Now bullies are ''psychopaths and sadists''.

So it's offical then, just because some researchers say so? Looks like a poor attempt to shame people to me ... or even a troll in itself.

Where did this research come from anyway?

From psychologists from the University of Manitoba, University of Winnipeg and University of British Columbia in an article published in the ‘Personality and Individual Differences’ journal.

---------- Post added 17-02-2014 at 17:46 ----------

Trolls arent ''psychopaths and sadists''. They are harmless, sometimes funny, mostly not people who are a bit sad

Now bullies are ''psychopaths and sadists''.

I could refer you to dozens of articles where the actions of trolls have cause huge emotional distress and even suicide. Not very harmless.

Link ?

Sorry, forget to include it - edited in now.

What strikes me about trolls is the way they can big themselves up on the internet, in a way they can't do in life. When they showed pictures of the 2 main perpetrators of threats against that woman campaigning for Jane Austen to be on our banknotes, I was amazed by how young and gormless and insignificant they looked.

I think the trolls are being trolled.

In fact this could be a honeytrap to get all sheff forum trolls in one place!! Oh wait. Damn.

I could refer you to dozens of articles where the actions of trolls have cause huge emotional distress and even suicide. Not very harmless.

The word "troll" gets used for a wide range of posters. I get called a troll because I often dont agree with the "norm".

For instance, men are often not trusted because of sexual abuse and adultery, some women take their own experience to heart.

From psychologists from the University of Manitoba, University of Winnipeg and University of British Columbia in an article published in the ‘Personality and Individual Differences’ journal.

---------- Post added 17-02-2014 at 17:46 ----------

You probably could but there in lies the problem. The media have changed to definition to something almost completely different to its original meaning. When they say troll they mean bully, a spiteful individual who takes please in hurting others, some low life coward who gets his or her rocks off in ruining lives.

Click the link below for a more accurate definition of the word troll/internet troll.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=trolling

Edited by Lee_

The word "troll" gets used for a wide range of posters. I get called a troll because I often dont agree with the "norm".

For instance, men are often not trusted because of sexual abuse and adultery, some women take their own experience to heart.

That's how it works on here. Have a difference of opinion and you are a troll.