Collaborative knitted / crochet artwork

Garden Up – Botanical Gardens: Sculpture trail June 2014

Collaborative public art opportunity….

I am devising a sculpture trail to wind through part of the Botanical Gardens in Sheffield in June and am working with different groups to fabricate various sculptural pieces to install along the route.

I would very much like to have one piece on the trail on the theme of a giant webbing / cocoon

to sit / hang in a cave like space between the branches and trunks of a large laurel shrub.

To create a sculptural piece on a large enough scale I need to involve lots of people keen to voluntarily commit some time and expertise, each contributing a piece/s which can be put together to form a giant web / cocoon structure.

Brief

Using white / cream coloured yarns, knit or crochet a section to be included as part of the whole structure of the web or cocoon.

The stitch or pattern of your section is open to your ideas – all your sections will be arranged and joined together.

min dimension aprx 20 cm x 20cm (doesn't have to be a square shape)

In the way that a patchwork quilt or blanket can be designed the end result will reflect the creative inspiration of all of the contributors.

The sculpture will be suspended in and around the space formed by the laurel shrubs at one point on the sculpture trail.

The work will be exhibited in the Botanical Gardens between 6th June and early Sept 2014

* Garden Up show weekend Sat 7th, Sun 8th June

The knitted or crotchet pieces need to be delivered to me between

22nd April and 12th May 2014

Lucy Coyne

5 Oakhill Rd

Sheffield

S7 1SJ

07765 513023

If you would like to be acknowledged please attach your name to your piece using pin or thread

* if anyone would like to help me in a putting together session in mid May I would be very grateful - it would be more fun for me and great to share the creative process of fabricating the finished large sculpture - let me know, forward your contact details, thank you.

hope to hear from you

Lucy

What a great idea. I will get something to you

Gutted I have just read this I have just started knitting would have definitely contributed