City School of Motoring

Am I right in thinking that the City School of Motoring of the 1960's was located on Change Alley ? I had lessons there and think their cars were all Ford Anglias ? I do remember it being 17/6d per hour ( 77&I/2 p, son ). Incidentally, the Ford Anglia was often referred to as a 'Ford Angila' which, along with chimley, skelinton and other corruptions, our teachers would correct us over. However, they're quite excusable given politicians and even BBC newsreaders saying ' Nukiller ' instead of 'Nuclear'

Am I right in thinking that the City School of Motoring of the 1960's was located on Change Alley ? I had lessons there and think their cars were all Ford Anglias ? I do remember it being 17/6d per hour ( 77&I/2 p, son ). Incidentally, the Ford Anglia was often referred to as a 'Ford Angila' which, along with chimley, skelinton and other corruptions, our teachers would correct us over. However, they're quite excusable given politicians and even BBC newsreaders saying ' Nukiller ' instead of 'Nuclear'

.....and drawring instead of drawing.

Had my motorcycle licence since age 16 and took car lessons in 1964 aged 20 not City School of Motoring but at Sheffield School of Motoring with an instructor named Jim. Nice bloke. Passed my test after 6 lessons! Driving was easier in those days. (I was an instructor 1990 to 2002 when things had got more frantic.) Can't remember the address. The car was a Ford Anglia. Have often heard them refered to as Angular as a reference to the shape of the rear window. Had one myself in 1967. Also had a 1953 sit up and beg Anglia 'historic vehicle' in 2002 to 2007.

Drawring etc.drives me crackers. Stands out so much when rest of dialogue is spot on :)

Edited by PeterR

I took lessons in 1957 with a school in a shed on a bomb site at Moorhead. I think that was City School of Motoring but my memory grows dim. My instructor was a former Fletcher's Bread van driver but his name is shrouded in the mists of time. I recall that lessons cost 17/6d an hour then so the rate of inflation couldn't have been very high. The car was a Morris Minor Traveller.

I also remember there being a school of motoring on a bomb site across from the bottom of Granville Road where it was all laid out with roads and traffic signs but that was too posh for me.

Mike

Yes City School of Motoring was on Change Alley.I had lessons there in 1962

I also remember there being a school of motoring on a bomb site across from the bottom of Granville Road where it was all laid out with roads and traffic signs but that was too posh for me. Mike

It was Jack Clare S.O.M with the road layout in Granville Square, his slogan was 'Drive with Clare'.

wasn't there a bert fell's school of motoring? seem to remember going there and having lessons from a bloke called george.

wasn't there a bert fell's school of motoring? seem to remember going there and having lessons from a bloke called george.

Hi rogG,

Bert Fell was around in the 60's, he lived on Cliffe Field Road, Meersbrook, my father-in-law worked for him briefly around that time, nice chap.....Bert Fell.

Regards,

Duffems

The Jack Clare SOM I remember was on Abbeydale Road. Is it a wedding gown shop now?

The slogan was 'Drive with Care. Drive with Clare'. or was it 'Drive with Care. Learn with Clare'.

Didn't work for me I failed a few times.

Hi rogG,

Bert Fell was around in the 60's, he lived on Cliffe Field Road, Meersbrook, my father-in-law worked for him briefly around that time, nice chap.....Bert Fell.

Regards,

Duffems

It took me 3 goes at it before I passed, duffems. But, I don't blame that on the instruction. :hihi:

I also remember there being a school of motoring on a bomb site across from the bottom of Granville Road where it was all laid out with roads and traffic signs but that was too posh for me. Mike

It was Jack Clare S.O.M with the road layout in Granville Square, his slogan was 'Drive with Clare'.

I took lessons with Jack Clare in one of the early Hillman imps with a pneumatic throttle,most lessons would end up at his home address where he had to lubricate something in the throttle mechanism.I passed my test first time.

I took lessons with Jack Clare in one of the early Hillman imps with a pneumatic throttle,most lessons would end up at his home address where he had to lubricate something in the throttle mechanism.I passed my test first time.

Got to be the start of a Frankie Howerd joke.:hihi: